• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC bought on eBay not working no lights nothing.

A Sempron and a mid tier AGP card should be okay with a more modern PSU. Worth a try anyway!
But the psu has different connections less pins on the one on the pc, than the Dell one.
How do i go about conecting it?

Attachments

• DSC00483.JPG
    DSC00483.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC00484.JPG
    DSC00484.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 40
@Greenslade it's always worth doing basic checks on something dead, especially as it's usually a power problem. One easy thing to do is to gently remove the power connectors from the mobo, check them over and gently connect them again. Extend this to anything else that looks like it could do with a quick check.

Also try another mains cable, as the fuse could be blown. Do this first.

If it still doesn't work after basic checks, then get your money back. I know it's a PITA, but it can't be helped. It's quite possible that the seller tried scamming you into buying a dud. It's the risk of fraud why I seldom trade on eBay and then only with established businesses with a good reputation.
I tried losening the screws on the Motherboard ,i have lots of mains leads all working tried a few.Taking out the ram and put it back in. Removed the PSU cinnections and put them back in.Only thing left to do is try another Psu bur how do i do that wtth the power connection in the Dell having a biger conecter?

Attachments

• DSC00484.JPG
    DSC00484.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC00483.JPG
    DSC00483.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 23
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Old or not it's still a pc. Troubleshooting is all the same, remove the mobo from the case, and try to turn it on with just the essential, psu, cpu, ram (only one stick, and try both on both slots), unplug everything else

Dell use propriety connectors you would need an adaptor which can be found online to convert it to ATX power connector

Old or not it's still a pc. Troubleshooting is all the same, remove the mobo from the case, and try to turn it on with just the essential, psu, cpu, ram (only one stick, and try both on both slots), unplug everything else
I am new to all this ,that would be beyond my scope thanks for the advice anyway. :)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
On the positive side, you didn't need to return item, which can quickly sour the deal. Not sure about you, but for some random parts shipping (even in EU) can be ~25-60 EUR + import fee (usually around 15-25 EUR). If it was ~50 EUR part and I could only get refund with return, I might as well just don't. C19 pandemic basically made eBay a betting site.

I had to send it back. The seller wanted to confirm that the board was working/broken but he repaired the board, cleaned up the pins and sent pictures of it working. By the time it all played out the transaction had soured anyway. Even if he had fixed the board I wouldn't want it back even if he did offer a partial refund - Its the principle of the matter.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
I had to send it back. The seller wanted to confirm that the board was broken but he repaired the board and sent puctures of it working by the time it all played out the transact had soured anyway. Even if had fixed the board I wouldn't want it back even if he gave me a partial refund
I am there with you.I don,t blame you. :)

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I am new to all this ,that would be beyond my scope thanks for the advice anyway. :)

just take pics or a video of the pc as it is, so you can plug everything back.

Pull the cables from the motherboard and leave all as it is in the case, pull any cards plug in to it
remove the screws that hold the motherboard, take it out and put it on top of a cardboard box (nothing metal)
plug in the psu (you obviously already mastered that part) and turn it on
do the ram thing

Dell use propriety connectors you would need an adaptor which can be found online to convert it to ATX power connector

I have one of thouse ,but the pc has the same conecter but with less pins.That cabal you are taking abour is for the smaller 8 pin conecter there for the 3020 7020 9020 modal Dells .I am not paying money out for something that might not work anyway.

just take pics or a video of the pc as it is, so you can plug everything back.

Pull the cables from the motherboard and leave all as it is in the case, pull any cards plug in to it
remove the screws that hold the motherboard, take it out and put it on top of a cardboard box (nothing metal)
plug in the psu (you obviously already mastered that part) and turn it on
do the ram thing
Even if i do that and it still does not work ,i will be Back to square one.Iwant be alble to test another PSU because the Dell PSU has more pin conections and the cpu fan is diffrtent,
interesting video i think it is the PSU. :(

Attachments

• DSC00484.JPG
    DSC00484.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC00483.JPG
    DSC00483.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Yes i have the only cabals not connected are the *GND* and *Power Led*which were not connected anyway.See photo.

Are you sure it's the "Power LED" that's not connected and not the "Power SW"? :wtf: And make sure it's connected to the right pins.

Also you might check the bios battery, maybe it's out of juice. Could also try to disconnect the PC, pop the battery out, press 10 sec. the power button & put it back in.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA + Logitech G840 XL K/DA
Keyboard Logitech G Pro TKL K/DA
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I had the same issue with an ebay seller in the past. sent me a board that was confirmed to be working. When i got it, it didnt work. Bent pins and thermalpaste in the CPU socket.

he kept saying it worked but i showed him pictures of how i received it. wasnt interested in taking it back so i opened up a claim with ebay and there was a lot of back and forth from him about how i could 'repair the bent pins' myself. I didnt buy the board to do a self repair. at first he was happy to give me a partial refund but i wanted a full refund and thats what ebay did.

The seller had the audacity to leave negative feedback calling me a scammer :laugh:

Had a similar occurrence once, over a GTX 480 graphics card I sold a couple of years ago. I knew it was working, I tested and did maintenance on it before listing it, so it was working fine... 2 weeks later I got a complaint that whatever I sold was junked, with some random pictures of it on a test bench, oddly without the power connectors plugged in and with a claim that they had to submit it for "professional repair", demanding a refund... I refused, protested, somehow I got the platform to side with me... was still negatively rated with "sold me a broken product and refused to provide support".

That's why I'm not going to flip my RTX 3090. I'll just wait it out and save a small amount every month until I can afford a next-gen AMD GPU without flipping anything.

Are you sure it's the "Power LED" that's not connected and not the "Power SW"? :wtf: And make sure it's connected to the right pins.

Also you might check the bios battery, maybe it's out of juice. Could also try to disconnect the PC, pop the battery out, press 10 sec. the power button & put it back in.
It is definitely *Power Led*.The bios battery would not Effect the PC from working. there is no light or any sign of anything working ,sweet FA.:(

Had a similar occurrence once, over a GTX 480 graphics card I sold a couple of years ago. I knew it was working, I tested and did maintenance on it before listing it, so it was working fine... 2 weeks later I got a complaint that whatever I sold was junked, with some random pictures of it on a test bench, oddly without the power connectors plugged in and with a claim that they had to submit it for "professional repair", demanding a refund... I refused, protested, somehow I got the platform to side with me... was still negatively rated with "sold me a broken product and refused to provide support".

That's why I'm not going to flip my RTX 3090. I'll just wait it out and save a small amount every month until I can afford a next-gen AMD GPU without flipping anything.
Unforunaty there are scammers on there and everywhere.:(Good one for you to win a case as a seller :) that must be as rare as hens teeth on eBay.:laugh:
That sucks you win the case and still get negative feedback:(I don,t blame you.:)

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

Yeah, Unfortunately ebay is a bit sh*t in general because of this... I have seen loads of videos on YT about people sending off items to people who bought them only for the buy to open up a dispute and claim the item he sold either wasnt as advertised or broken. But in actuality the buyer had received the item but swapped out the item with a broken/damaged one and made a claim against them and ebay sided with the buyer despite having photo evidence of the item before it left and the one they got back in return. The serial number on the broken/damaged device they received back didnt match the one on the box that was sent out.

Its starting to happen more and more and lots of people have been turned off ebay even more since they got rid of paypal for sellers. So thats a firewall/buffer against scammers that has been torn down by ebay.

Yeah, Unfortunately ebay is a bit sh*t in general because of this... I have seen loads of videos on YT about people sending off items to people who bought them only for the buy to open up a dispute and claim the item he sold either wasnt as advertised or broken. But in actuality the buyer had received the item but swapped out the item with a broken/damaged one and made a claim against them and ebay sided with the buyer despite having photo evidence of the item before it left and the one they got back in return. The serial number on the broken/damaged device they received back didnt match the one on the box that was sent out.

Its starting to happen more and more and lots of people have been turned off ebay even more since they got rid of paypal for sellers. So thats a firewall/buffer against scammers that has been torn down by ebay.
You must have seen this video about a scammer on eBay then .i love these guys all the hoops they have to go threw to get anywhere. o_OYes you are right there you can get away with that on Amazom ,because no one cheaks that it is the item you ordered instead of some old bit of crap they decided to send back.It is rare for ebay to side with the seller.I have heard that sellers are leaving eBay.I thought sellers did not like Paypal o_O,I as a buyer like Paypal.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
You must have seen this video about a scammer on eBay then .i love these guys all the hoops they have to go threw to get anywhere. o_OYes you are right there you can get away with that on Amazom ,because no one cheaks that it is the item you ordered instead of some old bit of crap they decided to send back.It is rare for ebay to side with the seller.I have heard that sellers are leaving eBay.I thought sellers did not like Paypal o_O,I as a buyer like Paypal.

That was one of the videos i have seen.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I tried losening the screws on the Motherboard ,i have lots of mains leads all working tried a few.Taking out the ram and put it back in. Removed the PSU cinnections and put them back in.Only thing left to do is try another Psu bur how do i do that wtth the power connection in the Dell having a biger conecter?
I think you've covered everything you reasonably should. Time to get that refund.

As the PSU is proprietary, I wouldn't bother trying to figure out a replacement to use. Just return this junk PC.

I get your disappointment though, I really do.

That was one of the videos i have seen.
I gussed it was :),they seem a loverly couple. :)

I think you've covered everything you reasonably should. Time to get that refund.

As the PSU is proprietary, I wouldn't bother trying to figure out a replacement to use. Just return this junk PC.

I get your disappointment though, I really do.
Thanks very much:)It is a pain having to send it back,you win some and loose some.:)I see you are in the UK,have a good bank holiday:) I supose i will have to wait tell monday to send it back.It gives me time to buy a tape gun ,it is a big box to tape upo_O

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
I have one of thouse ,but the pc has the same conecter but with less pins.That cabal you are taking abour is for the smaller 8 pin conecter there for the 3020 7020 9020 modal Dells .I am not paying money out for something that might not work anyway.
The ATX connector used to have 20 pins. Modern pcs have 24 pins. You can use the 24-pin connector with a motherboard that has a 20-pin socket. This is why the 24-pin connector is usually a 20+4 setup. That way you can bend the 4 pin part out of the way and use it for an old school motherboard. Even if it is a solid 24-pin connector you can theoretically plug it into the 20-pin socket, just make sure the 4-pins hanging over the side does not come into contact with anything.

It is also possible to go from a 20 pin PSU to a 24 pin motherboard. This does require an adapter cable afaik. And should be used with caution.

Your pictures look like 20 and 24 pin ATX connectors

The ATX connector used to have 20 pins. Modern pcs have 24 pins. You can use the 24-pin connector with a motherboard that has a 20-pin socket. This is why the 24-pin connector is usually a 20+4 setup. That way you can bend the 4 pin part out of the way and use it for an old school motherboard. Even if it is a solid 24-pin connector you can theoretically plug it into the 20-pin socket, just make sure the 4-pins hanging over the side does not come into contact with anything.

It is also possible to go from a 20 pin PSU to a 24 pin motherboard. This does require an adapter cable afaik. And should be used with caution.

Your pictures look like 20 and 24 pin ATX connectors
That can,t do done see photo caps in the way.

Attachments

• DSC00485.JPG
    DSC00485.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 40
I never buy used computer stuff.

Tbh. you can make pretty good deals if you're not after the "newest sh**". ;)

Got 1-2 years ago a Lenovo M700 Tiny for 200 bucks on eBay. No sign of wear, zero dust inside & the installed SSD showed a uptime of 16(!) hrs. Must have been some warehouse/backup piece. The only thing that was off Linux was installed and not Win10 (no deal, wanted to do a fresh install anyways, also nice Win10 activates via Bios key) and they sent a 90w external PSU with it instead of a 75w (no gib deal, it runs).

Just buy from a business seller. There are some decent shops out there who buy up leasing/insolvency gear (mostly Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc.) and dump it refurbished on eBay for very good prices.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
That can,t do done see photo caps in the way.
Yeah, then you would need a PSU with a 20+4-pin connector. Or an older one with a regular 20-pin connector of course.

I have a couple brand new Corsair PSU behind me, and they still have that 20+4 layout today.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
*Other than this, it is working perfectly.*son he said. o_O
The PC i bought on eBAY last week does not work. :(No light or anything working, i am really peed of about ir ,after the guy said it was working well and this

:(ever thing is connected accept for the* Power led,*This is a right pain having to send it back.That is a lot of packing to do. :(
Check power supply switch if it still doesnt work send it back and get your money back, dont waste anymore time on it, the seller knew it was broken

Otherwise you would have to repin it

Tbh. you can make pretty good deals if you're not after the "newest sh**". ;)

Got 1-2 years ago a Lenovo M700 Tiny for 200 bucks on eBay. No sign of wear, zero dust inside & the installed SSD showed a uptime of 16(!) hrs. Must have been some warehouse/backup piece. The only thing that was off Linux was installed and not Win10 (no deal, wanted to do a fresh install anyways, also nice Win10 activates via Bios key) and they sent a 90w external PSU with it instead of a 75w (no gib deal, it runs).

Just buy from a business seller. There are some decent shops out there who buy up leasing/insolvency gear (mostly Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc.) and dump it refurbished on eBay for very good prices.
I have a HPZ240 Workstation with an e3 1246 3 £120 it is a good machine ,only thing is you have to mod the case to get the psu in. o_O One of my fav AUSSIE you tuber s
i am there with you MarsMan :)
Check power supply switch if it still doesnt work send it back and get your money back, dont waste anymore time on it, the seller knew it was broken

Otherwise you would have to repin it
I have tried everthing o_O,yes it is going back.I am very disappointed that it did not work.:(

I have a HPZ240 Workstation with an e3 1246 3 £120 it is a good machine ,only thing is you have to mod the case to get the psu in. o_O One of my fav AUSSIE you tuber s
i am there with you MarsMan :)

Ohh yea, I stumbled over an HP Z800 Workstation on eBay (case only). Very solid case & beautiful outside (esp. the aluminium panels).
Thought it would be great for my next build. But then I found out there is everything proprietary inside & modding nearly impossible. Dang.

Yea, :love: Brian too. Discovered him when he was still over in Japan in his cramped backroom, piled up boxes everywhere.