• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pc case metal bracket removal

Wiskey12

First off hi to everyone. I need advice please. I have a PC case that has a metal triangular brace that I need to remove to put in a msi gtx card that is bigger that the case was designed for. (Have my reasons ). This brace is not riveted nor can I see any obvious signs of spot welds. So could it be some type of glue?. So how would I go about removing said brace. With out butchering it. Thx in advance.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Welcome.

if you think it is glued try a hair dryer

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
What make and model is your case? Post a photo of the brace. I've never seen glue used for steel case brackets.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Yeah hair dryer is a greatway to popcorn a circuit board. Different manufactures screw on brackets in many ways and some times the screw can be found on the outside of the case and some others it's just a clip on.

As Hood already said pictures would be great, and if that's not possible a link or at least the name of the case \ system in question.

Wiskey12

I will post a picture soon I'm out at the mo but the case is an alienware Aurora r7.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
is this the brace ??? @Wiskey12

Capture.JPG

Based on what I can see in the picture it does look like some type of adhesive. I bet a dollar if you took a pack of utility blades & a utility knife ,and sat there and scored it over and over again (on both sides of the triangle) you could pop it out fairly easily and then sand paper the cut edge to reduce sharpness. Just start in the corner where the two connected edges meet,and don't put too much pressure ,using the tip of the utility blade ,just keep going until you start making a good deep score ,and start on the next side. it'll pop out . Or if you have a Dremel ,cover up the interior of the case or empty it out and use that.

it seems that you can easily work on removing that bracket (if it IS indeed the one your speaking of) by following the removal steps in the pics below....once you have removed it, you could use any number ofcutting tools to get rid of it.

2222.JPG

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• 2222.JPG
    2222.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
is this the brace ??? @Wiskey12

View attachment 97644

Based on what I can see in the picture it does look like some type of adhesive. I bet a dollar if you took a pack of utility blades & a utility knife ,and sat there and scored it over and over again (on both sides of the triangle) you could pop it out fairly easily and then sand paper the cut edge to reduce sharpness. Just start in the corner where the two connected edges meet,and don't put too much pressure ,using the tip of the utility blade ,just keep going until you start making a good deep score ,and start on the next side. it'll pop out . Or if you have a Dremel ,cover up the interior of the case or empty it out and use that.

Probably an industrial epoxy.
If it cant be removed.

Either get a case designed for the parts in mind

Get a dremmel with cutting disk, sanding and polishing wheels, electrical tape strip all parts out, cut the bracket out, sand and polish edges, then put electrical tape on edge

Wiskey12

Yes that's the brace I'm talking about. U have all been a BIG help thankyou very much for all the reply's. Very helpful forum u people are awesome.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Yes that's the brace I'm talking about. U have all been a BIG help thankyou very much for all the reply's. Very helpful forum u people are awesome.

No prob.

Just a little word of advice because I've cut into cases in the past. If you can ,do like in the diagrams in my post ,and actually remove the whole part that comes out with the power supply ,that way you can work on the bracket removal away from the interior of your computer ,and it's sensitive components to avoid metal shavings falling inside,etc. if you can't do that ,just take a piece of cardboard and insert it inside the case to cover up everything ,or even some towels or something ,just try to avoid as best you can anything falling in there because metal shavings are conductive

Good luck

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
The last time I cut a brace in a case, it turned out to be some kind of rib that made the whole thing wobble after getting it out. Just in case, expect that removing this brace may case some support issues. After all there is a reason for it to be there, I suppose.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E-I Gaming
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU and GPU
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Hive
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
I've used a heat gun in the past to loosen up the adhesive and 9 out of 10 times within a few minutes the triangle piece just falls to the table.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
The last time I cut a brace in a case, it turned out to be some kind of rib that made the whole thing wobble after getting it out. Just in case, expect that removing this brace may case some support issues. After all there is a reason for it to be there, I suppose.

Yeah you're right, luckily this brace isnt for the structural integrity of the case ,as much as it is for the integrity of the "wing", when you open up the computer to work on the power supply/etc. It adds rigidity when in the state of being open. If you look at my post earlier in the thread ,you'll see a diagram showing what i mean, & the function of that small triangle brace. That's why I recommend he cut it ,because if he just cut it flush with the chassis ,the brace (to some degree) will still be there ,you'll just lose the majority of its contribution, but some of it will still remain on the inside of the chassis edge.

There's actually a chance he could lose that small wing that goes down by the display outputs of the video card. Because there's going to be one 3 inch piece of aluminum holding it on if he removes the brace entirely. which is why he should cut it flush...as opposed to removing it totally. the red line is all that will be left holding that section together

Last edited:

Wiskey12

HELLO AGAIN. Update on the brace alienware Aurora r7. This brace is now off :) . The part that holds the gfx cards is riveted to the power supply so no chance of that part falling off. The brace itself is riveted to the part that holds the gfx cards in a strange way. The metal is pressed together and 3 small holes are flared VERY SLIGHTLY to hold it. The other part is epoxy glued to the psu. Once again thankyou to all who helped me truly appreciated.