• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC CD ROM Discs with out cd key

I bought a lot of PC CD ROMS for cheap ,,and found out half of them don,t have the cd key in them.
Is it possible to play them without the cd key?
I typed in motorcross madness 2 cd key ,and came to a forum asking about a key for it.And someone said this
*motorcross madness 2 dosnt need a CD Key to install,*

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Outside of seeing if you can obtain legit keys from the developer, no, not legitimately.

Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Mouse Logitech G502
I do own a couple of games on CD that are considered abandonware and you can find legit copies (to my knowledge) to download....one game that comes to mind is Freelancer.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Reiterating what @neatfeatguy stated, there are legit sites that have classic PC games.

One site that comes to mind is https://archive.org/details/classicpcgames?&sort=-week&page=2

Might look on that site to see if there are any that you received.
Does anyone came from the uk?I want to ask something about CEX.
I am new to gaming and bought some 50p PC CD ROM,s.Some of them did not have a cd key serial in them,i know understand that you can not play them without the cd key serial in them.What i would like to know is why do CEX sell them without cd key in them? Surely they should check to see if a cd key is in them before they sell them?I only bought the ones with the booklets in them.I did not think about looking for a key.

Last edited:
System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Does anyone came from the uk?
Ha! There's a clubhouse even

.What i would like to know is why do CEX sell them without cd key in them?
That's sort of strange. If they're selling you a game disc, it should come with the key or serial number necessary to play it.

Are you sure you checked the CDs' cases thoroughly?

Ha! There's a clubhouse even

That's sort of strange. If they're selling you a game disc, it should come with the key or serial number necessary to play it.

Are you sure you checked the CDs' cases thoroughly?
Yes i did the ones that did have one were either in the place where disc goes or on top of it, some were on the back of the booklets.At lest i know to check if there is one in there before i buy them next time.They only give you 1p for the 50p ones.You win some and lose some.It want happen again.

D

Deleted member 24505

Yes i did the ones that did have one were either in the place where disc goes or on top of it, some were on the back of the booklets.At lest i know to check if there is one in there before i buy them next time.They only give you 1p for the 50p ones.You win some and lose some.It want happen again.

If it was me, i would return them as useless, they should make sure there is a key so the game is usable, if not don't fucking sell it.

Mouse Logitech G502
Does anyone came from the uk?I want to ask something about CEX.
I am new to gaming and bought some 50p PC CD ROM,s.Some of them did not have a cd key serial in them,i know understand that you can not play them without the cd key serial in them.What i would like to know is why do CEX sell them without cd key in them? Surely they should check to see if a cd key is in them before they sell them?I only bought the ones with the booklets in them.I did not think about looking for a key.

Game keys can be in a few spots in older games. They're usually on the manual somewhere - inside the front cover or printed on the back cover.
Sometimes game keys can come on a separate sheet that came with the game.
Sometimes game keys can be found on a sticker inside of the game case and that sticker can, sometimes be hidden by the actual game disc. Be sure to check everywhere.

What's fun (most folks might think it odd or outright irritating) about installing older games and even if you have the game key, sometimes a game's developer may no longer have servers online to verify the game key and you still can't play the game. This is where you have to start doing some sleuthing around online to find out how to get the games to run.

Game keys can be in a few spots in older games. They're usually on the manual somewhere - inside the front cover or printed on the back cover.
Sometimes game keys can come on a separate sheet that came with the game.
Sometimes game keys can be found on a sticker inside of the game case and that sticker can, sometimes be hidden by the actual game disc. Be sure to check everywhere.

What's fun (most folks might think it odd or outright irritating) about installing older games and even if you have the game key, sometimes a game's developer may no longer have servers online to verify the game key and you still can't play the game. This is where you have to start doing some sleuthing around online to find out how to get the games to run.
I have looked in those places .they would all be on there with a sticker there, not the actual booklet.One game Kills Witch does not mention about putting a key in?Yes you are right about some older games i have some going back to 2001.So the chances of them still be around all these years later is slim.It looks like i could have a hard job ahead of me.Some of them have nice booklets in them, no good without the key off course.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Another problem with older games that you might run into especially the ones that run older versions of anti-piracy protection like Securom or denuvo is that some games might be so old that the activation servers have long been shut down. which means there is no way to activate the game even if you have a key

a lot of/most games will ask for the game key before it allows install. Some games will install but will trip over themselves when trying to hook up to a key authentication server that no longer exists when you start the game so you cant play it....

Either way, youre going to need to pretty much crack the game before you can play it. But if you legally own a copy of the game and arent selling copies of the game along with the crack then you can legally crack a game that you own and play it.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Another problem with older games that you might run into especially the ones that run older versions of anti-piracy protection like Securom or denuvo is that some games might be so old that the activation servers have long been shut down. which means there is no way to activate the game even if you have a key

a lot of/most games will ask for the game key before it allows install. Some games will install but will trip over themselves when trying to hook up to a key authentication server that no longer exists so you cant play it....

Either way, youre going to need to pretty much crack the game before you can play it. But if you legally own a copy of the game and arent selling copies of the game along with the crack then you can legally crack a game that you own and play it.
Yeah, SecuRom in particular is a tough cookie. Its driver had security issues, was blacklisted from windows, and never got updated because at that point Sony did not care anymore. Nice one. So yeah a crack is the only way forward for such a copy.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G502

a lot of/most games will ask for the game key before it allows install. Some games will install but will trip over themselves when trying to hook up to a key authentication server that no longer exists so you cant play it....

I've got a EA game - some Lord of the Rings game - that won't play due to servers being offline and cannot verify the game key to confirm it's a legit copy. I had to do a bit of looking, but I found two .dll files required to bypass the wanting to connect with the server that's no longer in existence.

Last edited:

Thanks tor all you guys for good info on this and other subjects i have put on here.I have had more responce on here than any other tech sites put together ,I have put lots of tech subjects including Raspberry PI and ,MAC,s but i get very little responce on them.

a lot of/most games will ask for the game key before it allows install. Some games will install but will trip over themselves when trying to hook up to a key authentication server that no longer exists when you start the game so you cant play it....

How do i go about cracking a game?The only place i know to get cracked stuff is the one and only the mighty Pirate bay ,it seems to be the only one left in business

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
How do i go about cracking a game?The only place i know to get cracked stuff is the one and only the mighty Pirate bay ,it seems to be the only one left in business

Unfortunately such discussion is banned on this forum. I can tell you that these websites do exist but I cant tell you where to go find them.

If you do find them or download them from other sources. It is wise and highly recommended to test them out on a separate PC with a fresh copy of windows as some of these do contain viruses, malware and other dodgy stuff that can steal your personal data etc etc.

Last edited:
Unfortunately such discussion is banned on this forum. I can tell you that these websites do exist but I cant tell you where to go find them.

If you do find them or download them from other sources. It is wise and highly recommended to test them out on a separate PC with a fresh copy of windows as some of these do contain viruses, maleware and other dodgy stuff that can steal your personal data etc etc.
Once again thanks for your info.I will take your advice and do that.

If it was me, i would return them as useless, they should make sure there is a key so the game is usable, if not don't fucking sell it.
I get your point there and you are right, it was sometime ago i no longer have the reciet.

If you do find them or download them from other sources. It is wise and highly recommended to test them out on a separate PC with a fresh copy of windows as some of these do contain viruses, malware and other dodgy stuff that can steal your personal data etc etc.
I have just gone to CEX and asked them why some of them did not have a key or serial numder ,they said they will work without the key /serial If i have a problem with them i can take them back for a refund.
I must admit i have not tried any i have yet.

Last edited: