• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC crashes 30 seconds after loading a game.

kosam

After replacing my motherboard, ram and cpu, a started having issues with loading games. The PC black screens and crashes every time I load a game. 30 seconds I load the game PC crashes. All temperatures are fine. CPU is not even touching 55 degrees Celsius, gpu is below 60 degrees all the time. The gpu and psu both work just fine in my older system.
Motherboard - Gigabyte Ga-h110m-s2h
CPU - i5 6400
RAM - IJ ram 2133mhz
GPU - RX 470 asus strix
PSU - fractal design integra M 550W
The system works fine at idle also works fine when benchmarked on cinebench r15, cpu and openGL benchmarks, also tested for stability with Prime 95 for several hours, everything was ok. I have also installed a fresh copy of Windows, and updated the BIOS to the latest version. Anybody have any idea what the issue is here?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Game drivers?
Try an earlier version.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Any game i.e. benchmarks run fine by any video game you've tried results in a black screen and crash?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
IJ memory... what is that? 2133 is slow for intel... bjt thats ankther story.

What test in p95? Was it blend by chance? Try running blend (to test memory) or memtest86 to see if that isnt it.

kosam

IJ memory... what is that? 2133 is slow for intel... bjt thats ankther story.

What test in p95? Was it blend by chance? Try running blend (to test memory) or memtest86 to see if that isnt it.
This is just some ram, it is compatible, I have run mem test and everything is ok, also tested with prime 95 with ram tested too, everything is ok. I suspect the motherboard is the issue here, just not fully compatible with AMD GPUs maybe. Will try another board in a few days, will let you all know how that went.

Its not an intel/amd compatibility thing...it doesn't work like that. ;)

kosam

Its not an intel/amd compatibility thing...it doesn't work like that. ;)
I'm not saying that is an intel amd compatibility issue, I'm saying that this exact motherboard model is the issue.

Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
Replace the power supply.

Dux

I had the same issue. Temperature OK. Tested RAM. CPU,GPU. Everything was fine. Couldn't find a solution. Then one day i read an article about upgrading PC components. ON RAM sections they said sometimes there could be problems with RAM stability and most common solution is slightly raising RAM voltage. So i went into BIO and raised RAM voltage to the first higher value above normal. Never had problems with games crashing after that.

kosam

Replace the power supply.
PSU is absolutely fine, have made sure of that.

I had the same issue. Temperature OK. Tested RAM. CPU,GPU. Everything was fine. Couldn't find a solution. Then one day i read an article about upgrading PC components. ON RAM sections they said sometimes there could be problems with RAM stability and most common solution is slightly raising RAM voltage. So i went into BIO and raised RAM voltage to the first higher value above normal. Never had problems with games crashing after that.
Ok, I'll see if that is possible, since the bios tinkering options on this board are very limited.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be surprised if its something with the board itself, but not compatibility. That is a really budget board... weak vrm no heatsinks...old. it may be faulty.

What was the old hardware?

Last edited:

kosam

I wouldnt be surprised if its something with the board itself, but not compatibility. That is a really budget board... weak vrm no heatsinks...old. it may be faulty.

Old hardware was:
Same everything, except the motherboard which was a Asus P5Q, Q9300 and Corsair Dominator 1066mhz ram.

No, it didn't do anything, same thing happens when a game is loaded.

The board condition in my opinion is ok, I have stress tested it for 7 hours with prime 95, no issues there. Will see when I replace the board in e few days.

Can you run prime and a gpu benchmark at the same time?

It could very well be a power issue too. Nkt sure how you tested it, but there isnt much most of us can do except to check if voltages are in spec. But there are many other things that could be wrong.

kosam

It could very well be a power issue too. Nkt sure how you tested it, but there isnt much most of us can do except to check if voltages are in spec. But there are many other things that could be wrong.
Ok, will do, thanks!

Ok, so Heaven benchmark made the PC crash. Got the card in my old pc, everything was fine. Ran the benchmark 4 times on both machines, old PC did not crash one time, even with an overclock on the GPU and CPU. New PC crashed every time.

Last edited:
Ok, will do, thanks!

Ok, so Heaven benchmark made the PC crash. Got the card in my old pc, everything was fine. Ran the benchmark 4 times on both machines, old PC did not crash one time, even with an overclock on the GPU and CPU. New PC crashed every time.
so... gpu seems good.

Try using the power supply in the functional pc.

Basic binary testing to isolate, bud. :)

kosam

so... gpu seems good.

Try using the power supply in the functional pc.

Basic binary testing to isolate, bud. :)
I used this very PSU for both tests. I am convinced now, that the board is having compatibility issues with the GPU.