• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC doesn't power down after holding power button for 4 seconds

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
The only time I've experienced the power button not working after a hard crash is when DRAM is unstable.

Memtest+ 5.01 ran for 2 full passes (that took over 5 hours): zero errors.

I wanted to take out 1 of the kit's sticks to get it's specs for post #48 and, instead of shutting down i restarted by mistake. Tried to shut down before starting windows but the power button didn't work so i had to shut down the PSU to do it.

It did this with previous board too, and now does with this one: the problem is not the board, then. So it's either the button or the cord leading the button's signal to the board, right?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The damn power button still doesn't shut down sometimes after holding it for 4+ seconds: i'm guessing it's an issue with the button or cable leading to the board since it's the 2nd board it does this with.
Understand that "4 second" delay is set in the BIOS. It can be changed to Instant off or Reset.

But since this is the 2nd motherboard, I would look at the switch. Assuming the two wires are connected to the proper 2 pins on the motherboard, it is likely the switch. You need to gain access to the back side of the front panel and inspect it. The switches can break or the clamp holding the switch in place can break or come loose. If the clamp/bracket holding the switch in place is loose, it can sometime be bent back in place. But if broken, what we have done many times here is pull the two wires from the motherboard and connect the two wires from the case's Reset button to the motherboard pins. Then use the Reset button as the power switch from then on.

Reactions: HTC

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Understand that "4 second" delay is set in the BIOS. It can be changed to Instant off or Reset.

But since this is the 2nd motherboard, I would look at the switch. Assuming the two wires are connected to the proper 2 pins on the motherboard, it is likely the switch. You need to gain access to the back side of the front panel and inspect it. The switches can break or the clamp holding the switch in place can break or come loose. If the clamp/bracket holding the switch in place is loose, it can sometime be bent back in place. But if broken, what we have done many times here is pull the two wires from the motherboard and connect the two wires from the case's Reset button to the motherboard pins. Then use the Reset button as the power switch from then on.

The odd thing is that the power button itself works just fine as it turns on the PC every time: it's just when holding for 4+ seconds that doesn't shut down.

Will check the BIOS to make sure which setting that 4 second thingy is @.

Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10
Anyone heard of this?

Anyone ever heard of this one not working?

I have seen this before on a rather old computer. I don't remember the CPU or chipset (it was one of the first with PCI) but I found out online that the chipset had a bug that affected PCI busmastering which was exactly what I was attempting to do with it. Holding down the power button did not shut it down (but the PC beeper started wailing after a few seconds). I could only turn it off by cutting power. Lucky for me that was more a curiosity than a concern since I was working with a PC booter and didn't have any operating system or hard drives to corrupt. Without going into the technical details of what I think happened, I believe the firmware was too busy dealing with PCI errors that the message to power off was drowned out.

Last edited:
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10
Memtest+ 5.01 ran for 2 full passes (that took over 5 hours): zero errors.

I'd recommend running Memtest+ for a bit longer than that!

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
More passes is better, but 2 is the generally the minimum and normally plenty.

That said, you should use MemTest86. Memtest86+ 5.01 is old (2013) and obsolete and it has been years since last updated. MemTest86 is under constant development with regular updates (most recently, July 26, 2017 - my sister's birthday!) to stay current with the latest tests, RAM types (like DDR4) and protocols.

Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10

Normally but not always. I always run Memtest for a good 24 hrs, it took just under that to find a problem for me once (good stick, wrong voltage :oops:).

Last edited:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard

That said, you should use MemTest86. Memtest86+ 5.01 is old (2013) and obsolete and it has been years since last updated. MemTest86 is under constant development with regular updates (most recently, July 26, 2017 - my sister's birthday!) to stay current with the latest tests, RAM types (like DDR4) and protocols.

I made an Ubuntu installation USB 16.04 LTS stick: the memtest version i used was the one that was in the booting options of that USB stick. Perhaps i mistook it's name but i believe it was memtest+ 5.01 but it could have been memtest86+ 5.01: not sure. Just downloaded the latest USB version to make later.

There seems to be another problem, though. Tried to hook up another HDD and the PC didn't boot: the 4 second power button thing worked and the PC shut down. Removed the newly added HDD and tried to boot again, and again it didn't boot but, this time, the 4 second power button thing didn't work.

Also: can't seem to find that BIOS 4 second setting. Can't test atm since her monitor is also the living room TV, and is being used. Can't hook up my monitor to her PC because her APU doesn't support neither display port nor HDMI.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Normally but not always. I always run Memtest for a good 24 hrs
Yeah, I generally recommend several passes or even over night. But two passes ensures one full pass with the full battery tests at maximum iterations. One pass is not enough (unless it finds problems then the RAM is bad) because it is not as complete as subsequent passes as it is designed to check for and identify the most common problems.
. Perhaps i mistook it's name but i believe it was memtest+ 5.01 but it could have been memtest86+ 5.01: not sure.
There are several with similar names that all based on much of the old core technology. But only the one from PassMark I linked to supports the latest RAM and protocols. So if you did not download the PassMark version, you are using an obsolete program.

That said, no software based memory tester is conclusive. If they report errors, the RAM is bad. But RAM can test good and still fail when installed, or when paired with other RAM. To conclusively test your RAM, you need to use sophisticated and very expensive test equipment, like this $4,400 RAMCheck LX Memory Tester - swap in known good RAM and see what happens.

This has happened to me several times w/ diff computers/os's. With XP (been a while, tho I still use it) when attempting to install (dont remember which) programs, comp would freeze totally, had to unplug it. With UBUNTU, when clicking on some links (again, dont remember where), a total freeze, unplug comp.
Strange;y enough, the mouse pointer still moved on the screen, the buttons just didnt work, , ,

But they allus worked fine on re-powering, , , ,

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Yeah, I generally recommend several passes or even over night. But two passes ensures one full pass with the full battery tests at maximum iterations. One pass is not enough (unless it finds problems then the RAM is bad) because it is not as complete as subsequent passes as it is designed to check for and identify the most common problems.
There are several with similar names that all based on much of the old core technology. But only the one from PassMark I linked to supports the latest RAM and protocols. So if you did not download the PassMark version, you are using an obsolete program.

That said, no software based memory tester is conclusive. If they report errors, the RAM is bad. But RAM can test good and still fail when installed, or when paired with other RAM. To conclusively test your RAM, you need to use sophisticated and very expensive test equipment, like this $4,400 RAMCheck LX Memory Tester - swap in known good RAM and see what happens.

Figured out why i had ran version 5.01 (it was indeed 5.01): it was the non UEFI version. Now running the latest 7.4 UEFI version and i plan to leave it running all night.

Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10
That shouldn't make a difference, but let us know if it finds any problems.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
it was the non UEFI version. Now running the latest 7.4 UEFI version
Okay but again, MemTest86 and MemTest86+ are still two different programs by two different companies even though their names are very similar.

In any case, hopefully your RAM tests good, though not sure that will get you any closer to the uncovering the actual problem. :(

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
In reference to shutdown problems:
See this all the time with mine and I know certain boards will act like this, others will power down either by holding the switch or simply pressing the button as some have said.
I'll also say sometimes even with boards that will normally shut off with a press of the switch they can hang as originally described if I have it cranked up hard for OC'ing, switching off the PSU is the only way they will cutoff at that point. All I do is simply restart the system, tell it to start Windows normally and it goes.
The one I'm using as a DD (Stock settings) wants to hang at times but overall it's never been anything to worry about, still works fine as is.

A weak CMOS battery can cause weird stuff to happen, looked back and didn't see anything about the battery being a possible suspect (And I apologize if I missed it) but yes, a weak battery can cause issues with bootup, shutdowns, and just overall freakyness - This is a common issue with certain board models such as an Abit AN7 as an example.
I know that's a really older board but it's still relevant - With an AN7 the Uguru chip on the board eats batteries like a starving animal and these are prone to the weird side of behaviour when a battery starts giving up. Popping in a fresh one makes the weirdness go away and that's good in it's case.
Also know if the battery in any board gets too weak it's possible to corrupt the BIOS in the board regardless of model, make sure if you haven't already to see if the battery is either good or dying. Using a common voltmeter you'd want to see about 3.0v's or a little more for a good battery but if it drops below 2.9v's or so, then it's best to replace it instead of risking a borked BIOS making the board itself unuseable.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The problem with troubleshooting shutdown problems is many different causes give the same symptom. That makes it that much harder to troubleshoot - especially remotely via forums. These are cases I wish I had on my bench.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
The problem with troubleshooting shutdown problems is many different causes give the same symptom. That makes it that much harder to troubleshoot - especially remotely via forums. These are cases I wish I had on my bench.

Know what you mean - I know my hardware because it's mine and I run it all the time but trying to figure out someone else's problems can be a challenge, esp if you're not there with it.
Had this happen with my REX the other night and although it normally cuts off with a press of the power button it hung and didn't want to shutdown on it's own when telling Windows to restart (Had it cranked way up there :D), so after trying the button with no luck I killed the PSU and restarted it, no prob with a restart afterwards.

Still wanted to hang if I tried a standard shutdown or the power button itself but in my case it's no biggie, not a DD machine by any means - Clocked it back down and all was well.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
UPDATE:

The RAM didn't give any errors @ 1600.

Currently installing Windows 7's updates.

The damn power button still doesn't shut down sometimes after holding it for 4+ seconds: i'm guessing it's an issue with the button or cable leading to the board since it's the 2nd board it does this with.

Since her RAM doesn't have any problems, i'll leave it in her PC instead of having to swap coolers to be able to change the RAM.

My NZXT case I have came from the factory with a faulty power button. I took it apart and solders a lead that was poorly soldered and it works like a champ now.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Okay but again, MemTest86 and MemTest86+ are still two different programs by two different companies even though their names are very similar.

In any case, hopefully your RAM tests good, though not sure that will get you any closer to the uncovering the actual problem. :(

Her RAM completed the test in a bit under 11 hours: zero errors.

20170905_113753.jpg

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
UPDATE

She sent me a text yesterday, while i was @ work, stating that the PC wouldn't turn on. I arrived from work way too late to do anything, but tried turning on the PC a short while ago and it booted just fine.

Since both the board and CPU were changed, wouldn't this indicate a possible PSU issue?

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
swap the power on for the reset button and see if that changes things.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I agree with Shambles but first, follow the two wires from the back of the case's front panel power button to the two pins on the motherboard's front panel I/O header and pull those two wires from the motherboard pins. Then, with a very steady hand, carefully reach in with a very small screwdriver and short those two motherboard pins together. There is, at most, just a small +5Vsb (standby DC) voltage there so don't worry about getting shocked. You just don't want to short the +5V to the wrong pin, or scratch the motherboard with the hard, sharp screwdriver tip.

If everything is okay, when the two pins are shorted, the system boots just as if you pressed the power button. If it boots, then it is likely the power button is bad (or loose) and swapping the wires from the reset button (making the reset button the power button from now on) will get you going.

If it does not boot, then you have other problems and I would suspect the PSU since the motherboard was already replaced - this assumes that all the power connectors are securely fastened.

If it does appear to be the power button switch itself, as noted, you/she can just use the reset button from now on. But I would try to gain access to the back of the button switch for a visual inspection. Sometimes, the button switch itself just comes loose from its mounting bracket and, depending on how it mounts, can be snapped back in place, or metal prongs holding it in place can be bent back into place, or the button can be hot-glued or epoxy-glued back into place. However, in many cases, the repaired mechanism holding it back in place is never as strong as it was originally - so it may (or likely will) come loose again.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hopefully nothing is chafed either chafing causes some very weird issues