• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[PC Gamer]Far Cry 2 gets 94%...

iamollie

Processor E6850 @ Stock
Motherboard gigabyte p35c-dS3R
Memory 3Gb 800mhz Patriot
Video Card(s) 8800gt
Storage 320gb RAID 0
the more you sprint the further you can go

so as you progress through the game your character becomes fitter and fitter???
isnt he supposed to be a merc who probably could run considerably further than that anyway

jeebuscrp

System Name Jeebz Gamer
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard 750i FTW
Cooling XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Storage WD 500GB
Display(s) 22in Widescreen LCD ACER
Case ANTEC 900
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Antec 850W Modular
Software WIN XP PRO
I have this coming in the mail soon...part of that EVGA promotion. By reading what you guys say I won't go into it with huge expectations. Hopefully it will keep me entertained I'm looking for something to do till starcraft 2 and diablo 3 come out.

ah cool i want far cry 2 if its anything like the reviews it should be good for at least a play
pc gamer the magazine usually is accurate and give unbiased reviews well at least the UK one is like that but sometimes its just crap in the mag even if it is unbiased

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
so as you progress through the game your character becomes fitter and fitter???
isnt he supposed to be a merc who probably could run considerably further than that anyway

He does become fitter, and just because he is a merc doesn't mean he can run 4km and the shoot everything down

ah cool i want far cry 2 if its anything like the reviews it should be good for at least a play
pc gamer the magazine usually is accurate and give unbiased reviews well at least the UK one is like that but sometimes its just crap in the mag even if it is unbiased

don't its rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
He does become fitter, and just because he is a merc doesn't mean he can run 4km and the shoot everything down

don't its rubbish.

far cry 2 is rubbish? so i shouldn't bother with it?
if so why, i need reasons or is it i should play it and see

W

wolf2009

read this thread, read the farcry 2 thread and you will find enough reasons

ShadowFold

System Name The ShadowFold Draconis (Ordering soon)
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX ATi Radeon HD 5850 1gb
Storage Western Digital 640gb
Display(s) Acer 21.5" 5ms Full HD 1920x1080P
Case Antec Nine-Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative "Fatal1ty" Headset
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores -❶-❸-❸-❼-
Because its repetitive and half of the people that have it get random ctd's for no reason. They should have called it Repetition: The Game..

ChromeDome

System Name Super Budget Gamer Thing lol
Processor AMD 5600+ Windsor @3.0ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3N78-VM AM2/AM2+ Micro ATX
Cooling Thermaltake TR2-R1 Ultra Silence CPU heatsink+fan / 3 exhaust case fans
Memory 3 Gigs Kingston DDR2@800mhz
Video Card(s) PNY 8800GT 512mb OC'd 710/1740/950 - 178.24
Storage 2X 320 gig Seagate Barracuda's @7200rpm - SATA
Display(s) 22in Dell LCD 1680X1050 / 21.6in AOC LCD / Hauppauge TV Tuner
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA500D 500w
Software Vista, bby <3
Benchmark Scores yay it works! =]
no its not rubbish. you have to stick with it and make the most of it. its not a game to rush through or try to "beat" too fast. its something you might play more often, or less often, but when you play you're prolly in for good times

it has some gameplay issues but they are minor tbh. the scenery is africa drab, its not a bright and brilliant looking outdoor shooter like Crysis, and if you stop at every village / guard post to battle on your way to a mission you might indeed grow a bit bored from repetition. however just driving or boating away as fast as you can until you are out of reach can be very exciting and keeps the game from bogging down

the "main missions" are diverse enough and send you off to different places on the map, but the side missions to "unlock" weapons are a bit dry. so best to do those here and there and thats it. when you want a new weapon. the weapons are varied and work well, and the way fire starts and spreads is truly amazing. your "buddies" are pretty cool and can save your ass, and the method of "healing" yourself, whether by syringe or pills for malaria, is pretty cool as well

what the game lacks in variety it more then makes up for in action imo. the AI is tough (perhaps a bit too hard to take down) and for me at least each new "main mission" has brought something a little new and exciting, and you are always rewarded well for completion. i had to go drop off some passports for trade for some malaria pills last mission and i tell you what, it was damn exciting getting there and battling the baddies once there. i started a HUGE fire in my defense, laid down grenades and such, and yeah it was loads of fun. now i have a new shotgun and uzi and i have to travel back to a town to get my next mission. who knows what might happen next

you can change day to night pretty much at will, the weather system is impressive, and their is always a vehicle around to drive and boats to make your way up and down a multi corridor river. and while i understand the charge of "repetitive," as said b4, if you don't try to finish the game too fast or "beat it" and just play when you really feel like having some fun with a shooter, its aces

i always go by price. is it a $50 game? for some yes, for some no. but if the price drops to $30 sometime i would say this is most definitely a shooter everyone should check out

runs well on my spec's if thats a concern, and apparently some ATI cards have had some issue. i avg 46fps, max settings 1650X1050, no AA. just FYI....

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
read this thread, read the farcry 2 thread and you will find enough reasons

Because its repetitive and half of the people that have it get random ctd's for no reason. They should have called it Repetition: The Game..

Like these two said

no its not rubbish. you have to stick with it and make the most of it. its not a game to rush through or try to "beat" too fast. its something you might play more often, or less often, but when you play you're prolly in for good times

it has some gameplay issues but they are minor tbh. the scenery is africa drab, its not a bright and brilliant looking outdoor shooter like Crysis, and if you stop at every village / guard post to battle on your way to a mission you might indeed grow a bit bored from repetition. however just driving or boating away as fast as you can until you are out of reach can be very exciting and keeps the game from bogging down

the "main missions" are diverse enough and send you off to different places on the map, but the side missions to "unlock" weapons are a bit dry. so best to do those here and there and thats it. when you want a new weapon. the weapons are varied and work well, and the way fire starts and spreads is truly amazing. your "buddies" are pretty cool and can save your ass, and the method of "healing" yourself, whether by syringe or pills for malaria, is pretty cool as well

what the game lacks in variety it more then makes up for in action imo. the AI is tough (perhaps a bit too hard to take down) and for me at least each new "main mission" has brought something a little new and exciting, and you are always rewarded well for completion. i had to go drop off some passports for trade for some malaria pills last mission and i tell you what, it was damn exciting getting there and battling the baddies once there. i started a HUGE fire in my defense, laid down grenades and such, and yeah it was loads of fun. now i have a new shotgun and uzi and i have to travel back to a town to get my next mission. who knows what might happen next

you can change day to night pretty much at will, the weather system is impressive, and their is always a vehicle around to drive and boats to make your way up and down a multi corridor river. and while i understand the charge of "repetitive," as said b4, if you don't try to finish the game too fast or "beat it" and just play when you really feel like having some fun with a shooter, its aces

i always go by price. is it a $50 game? for some yes, for some no. but if the price drops to $30 sometime i would say this is most definitely a shooter everyone should check out

runs well on my spec's if thats a concern, and apparently some ATI cards have had some issue. i avg 46fps, max settings 1650X1050, no AA. just FYI....

But he also brings up good points

System Name Moose 5800X3D
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4Ghz 4.5Ghz Boost 96MB L3 Cache
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Custom Liquid Cooling covering CPU and GPU including liquid backplate for graphics memory cooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming 24GB
Storage WD Black SN770 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 + 2x WD Caviar Black 750GB
Display(s) AOC 34" CU34G2/BK Ultra Wide @ 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair TX850M 850W Semi Modular
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Rii K61c
Software Windows 11 Pro
Does anyone want me to do this for other games like oblivion although it's getting old the review is great.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
why would you not? Be a great idea if we can start getting game reviews going again

i get the feeling a lot of people completed it or got bored half way through
seems like the type of game that is fun but that starts to wear off

i would have to purposely go out and make my own fun or go out of the way to do fun things or the missions would be boring

other things that seem good are the graphics but at the same time africa feels boring

definitely seems like one of the better average shooters but nothing special that i would miss, seems like the game is okay to skip

i take back that crap i said about pc gamer it looks like they have changed from the days i used to collect it, with the internet pretty much standard no need for spending cash on a magazine