• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC goes mental after sending it to standby

Can someone tell me what the hell is with the damn standby in #CurrentYear? I have a brand new system with highest spec'd PSU that complies to highest ATX standards (v2.4) and carries a Platinum efficiency, I'm using the latest Windows 10 and when I want to wake PC from sleep it just cycles between bootup and shutdown indefinitely, like it has no frigging clue what it has to do after being in sleep for several hours. Not only that, I can't break it out of this damn cycle no matter what. Pressing reset or forcibly powering it down, I had to unplug it, wait for all capacitors to get empty and then it finalyl booted. But wait for it, it has resumed to where it left off, it wasn't a clean boot. What the hell? Standby has NEVER worked since I've sold my old X58 platform and bought a new X99. I've even tried changing ErP setting in BIOS and nothing changed. I've also tried using stock CPU clocks and it failed just the same.

My specs are in my profile. At first I thought it was my older Corsair HX750 PSU. Bought a new one and nothing changed. Then I thought my 2TB HDD had too high spin up time and Windows gave up half way, explaining why it can't boot. I'm now on frigging fastest SATA SSD and it's still the same. I didn't upgrade those just because of this, but it was in my mind. So, what the hell is going on?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You're OC isn't fully stable, or you pushed a bit too hard in the past when it wasn't. Try at stock. If it doesn't work at stock, you've corrupted your OS OC'ing.

This can also be cuased by your BIOS being a bit corrupted.

So, get back to stock, re-flash BIOS, and try entering Windows. If Windows is still funky, you need to re-install. Data isn't impermeable when OC'ing. Chances are your cache OC might be unstable, or memory, or at least, they are likely culprits. Once back at stock, return to your current OC settings, play for a while, and see if the problem returns. If it does, then you can be 100% sure some part of your OC is causing the problem.

I've run into this countless times, and its what has me doing regular back-ups, so I can easily revert to an image within a few days. I also make a point of reverting to stock settings to do my back-ups.

So are you saying they fixed the standby/sleep/hibernate thing with Windows 10? I quit trying a long time ago because it never worked right. Let me try it again. First let me check power options. Sleep...allow hybrid sleep...On. Now did I disable hibernation with that tweak from W1zz? Let me make sure I undo that just in case. Powershell> powercfg -h on. Alright then. That should do it. Let's find out.

Ok so Sleep = still screwed up. Finally woke up after the 3rd reboot.

Now what about hibernate?

Hibernate works just fine now.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So are you saying they fixed the standby/sleep/hibernate thing with Windows 10?
I have zero problems with OC and sleep. Need to charge my son's phone while I'm in bed, so I put my system to sleep so that the USB ports stay active for charging... and it works great. Done both on X99 and Z170 without problems. Get up in the morning, phone is charged, wiggle the mouse and my system comes awake and I start my day. The Win10 update to build 1151 fixed so many issues on all of my PCs; perhaps thanks to it re-installing itself with that update; I am not sure exactly, I just know it works great now and I wasn't too happy with it before.

I also don't do any tweaks at the OS level, so your approach may not provide the results you desire.

I am using ASUS X99 DELUXE and Z170 DELUXE, respectively, without any problems at all of any type.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Ever since I installed 2x 290x (two different systems), I can't get either to sleep, but I can get them to hibernate. Asked about it a while back and never got a solution.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ever since I installed 2x 290x (two different systems), I can't get either to sleep, but I can get them to hibernate. Asked about it a while back and never got a solution.
Does it crash or does it simply wake from sleep?

The two of you having problems are on Z77... could be a platform problem. @RejZoR is on ASUS X99 though, using similar VGA to mine. Chances are... it's a config problem for him or stability issue.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
So are you saying they fixed the standby/sleep/hibernate thing with Windows 10? I quit trying a long time ago because it never worked right. Let me try it again. First let me check power options. Sleep...allow hybrid sleep...On. Now did I disable hibernation with that tweak from W1zz? Let me make sure I undo that just in case. Powershell> powercfg -h on. Alright then. That should do it. Let's find out.

Ok so Sleep = still screwed up. Finally woke up after the 3rd reboot.

Now what about hibernate?

Hibernate works just fine now.

no its still fuked.
my PC takes forever to recover from sleep, and is literally a longer wait that just shutting down, and powering back up.
how is this big of an issue not resolved? it seems like a problem that Should garner attention from M$. maybe it just seems more important to me since its affecting me.

Also, @cadaveca may have something, im on Z97, not Z77, still issues as listed above.

just timed it....26 seconds to recover from sleep mode o_O , and it wakes on its own some times. and yesi have gone through all the advanced sleep settings, and options in power management. no help there :(

System Name Senile
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10
Does it crash or does it simply wake from sleep?

The two of you having problems are on Z77... could be a platform problem. @RejZoR is on ASUS X99 though, using similar VGA to mine. Chances are... it's a config problem for him or stability issue.

Now thinking back... if I recall correctly, I couldn't ever get either system to wake up. I'd have to do a hard reset.

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
Seems to me that either the OS got somehow corrupted, or the BIOS needs to be set differently.

System Name Senile
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10
did you disable ULPS? Or do "mods" to OS?

No and no. It happened right after I swapped out a 5870 for the 290x. Sleep was working fine with the 5870, so I assumed it was the Cat driver or something to do with the card. When I got the second 290x in a system that previously had a HD 6360, same thing happened!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No and no. It happened right after I swapped out a 5870 for the 290x. Sleep was working fine with the 5870, so I assumed it was the Cat driver or something to do with the card. When I got the second 290x in a system that previously had a HD 6360, same thing happened!
Might be the VGA BIOS, might be the driver. When it comes to AMD cards I know little as I do not have any current ones. I do have a Haswell-based rig with a 6770 that works fine (Pentium G3258 in ASRock M8 w/ 6770), so I am not confident that it has anything to do with Z97... might just be BIOS issues.

I installed all of my OSes in UEFI mode. That might be part of it... dunno. All I can really say is that it works, but I have also seen it start to not work because of stability issues w/ OC.

Based on the OP's situation, likely driver or something got corrupted.

Hehe.. When I reinstall or restore or change mobo it is always PERFECT regarding sleep, turning off keyboard lights, etc, but when I start overclocking I start loosing some smart functions. I relate it to certain Extreme settings in some OC and power options. those do not power down... Also I sometimes find that in Windows Power profiles the setting for minimum CPU power is 100% instead of 5%, don-t know who godamn changes that!

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest

if your issue began after a GPU install/Swap, if i were You id look into power management, and sleep settings, and look @ the "link state power management" under the PCI options drop down. You might have luck with that. atleast worth a shot.

You're OC isn't fully stable, or you pushed a bit too hard in the past when it wasn't. Try at stock. If it doesn't work at stock, you've corrupted your OS OC'ing.

This can also be cuased by your BIOS being a bit corrupted.

So, get back to stock, re-flash BIOS, and try entering Windows. If Windows is still funky, you need to re-install. Data isn't impermeable when OC'ing. Chances are your cache OC might be unstable, or memory, or at least, they are likely culprits. Once back at stock, return to your current OC settings, play for a while, and see if the problem returns. If it does, then you can be 100% sure some part of your OC is causing the problem.

I've run into this countless times, and its what has me doing regular back-ups, so I can easily revert to an image within a few days. I also make a point of reverting to stock settings to do my back-ups.

Like I've said, I've tried with stock clocks and it was the same. It just refuses to wake up from sleep and keeps on cycling between power on and power off forever.

I've re-installed entire OS clean after I've replaced 2TB HDD with 2TB SSD and still refuses to wake up properly. I've also updated BIOS 3 times in between with no change. Likeliness of OS or BIOS being corrupted after so many reinstalls/updates is very unlikely.

Before SSD I used to have OS installed in normal "legacy" mode. Now I have it in UEFI which created some new partitions on the SSD for it. Still no go.

I have the exact same behavior as @jboydgolfer. Bootup and shutdown in repeated cycles.

I've noticed that only thing we ALL have in common are ASUS motherboards. Graphic cards are from AMD and NVIDIA so I don't think that's the issue. It's something to do with ASUS motherboards apparently. Considering I'm using the very latest BIOS released like 2 days ago, it clearly wasn't fixed at all...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Like I've said, I've tried with stock clocks and it was the same. It just refuses to wake up from sleep and keeps on cycling between power on and power off forever.

I've re-installed entire OS clean after I've replaced 2TB HDD with 2TB SSD and still refuses to wake up properly. I've also updated BIOS 3 times in between with no change. Likeliness of OS or BIOS being corrupted after so many reinstalls/updates is very unlikely.

Before SSD I used to have OS installed in normal "legacy" mode. Now I have it in UEFI which created some new partitions on the SSD for it. Still no go.

I have the exact same behavior as @jboydgolfer. Bootup and shutdown in repeated cycles.

I've noticed that only thing we ALL have in common are ASUS motherboards. Graphic cards are from AMD and NVIDIA so I don't think that's the issue. It's something to do with ASUS motherboards apparently. Considering I'm using the very latest BIOS released like 2 days ago, it clearly wasn't fixed at all...
Then it's likely a setting or something in BIOS. Unfortunately you have the Sabertooth and not the X99 DELUXE like I do. I know for sure the BIOSes between the two boards are quite different, but I've got ASUS board too without problems, so it's not exactly an ASUS issue... maybe Sabertooth issue.

But like @jboydgolfer says, it's likely a power management issue, maybe a USB device, maybe you didn't follow the steps in the order I listed them. Maybe your board doesn't like the ram clocks you have.

Tell me something; it doesn't post on sleep? Did you disable some power-saving setting in BIOS?

Maybe just a junk BIOS on that board. No reason for sleep not to work right. Shitty problem to deal with, I guess.

I did change ErP setting which is directly related to power saving (both, S4 and S5 states) with no change. This was also among many things why I've bought the very latest spec'd PSU that is ATX v2.4 and ErP ready just to eliminate this. It didn't fix it however.

I don't think it has anything to do with RAM, otherwise I'd have issues even during normal boots, but I never do. It always starts up perfectly. Just not from Sleep state.

It seems like system initialization is all messed up because when system boots up normally, my fans slightly speed up and then go down, beeps and boots. But after sleep it fires up the system but runs the fans at constant very low RPM till it shuts itself off. And repeats that.

I have to check whether it's just standby or the standby which transitions into hybrid sleep. Because after I've smashed the reset and power button repeatedly and unplug the power cord, after it finally managed to boot it was not a cold boot, it was a resume. And considering I unplugged it, if it was a normal sleep it would boot cold again. But it resumed from hibernation file because the stuff was already running as soon as desktop appeared. It never does that otherwise, not even with such fast SSD.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I don't think it has anything to do with RAM, otherwise I'd have issues even during normal boots, but I never do.
RAM training may not be the same at cold boot and boot from sleep. At most times it isn't, and cold boot training is usually far more "intensive".

Just one of those things you learn when RAM OC'ing to the max...cold boot fails, press reset, and it works fine. Common "trick" when pushing for max clocks, avoiding the training process. ASUS ROG boards (and some others) even have settings so you can skip training, or do longer training.

I have to check whether it's just standby or the standby which transitions into hybrid sleep. Because after I've smashed the reset and power button repeatedly and unplug the power cord, after it finally managed to boot it was not a cold boot, it was a resume. And considering I unplugged it, if it was a normal sleep it would boot cold again. But it resumed from hibernation file because the stuff was already running as soon as desktop appeared. It never does that otherwise, not even with such fast SSD.

Windows 10 does this in order to make boot times less, starting from "preserved" state on shutdown (was one of the lauded features of Win10). Try leaving Edge open and shut down, start back up, start edge, it opens on the page that was open when you shut down.

Not with Sabertooth. Rampage II Gene X58 had silly cold boot issues. Here, if it doesn't work, it just doesn't work ever.

I'll check RAM training parameters in BIOS, I've seen some of them when OC'ing, I'll fiddle with them a bit...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Not with Sabertooth. Rampage II Gene X58 had silly cold boot issues. Here, if it doesn't work, it just doesn't work ever.

I'll check RAM training parameters in BIOS, I've seen some of them when OC'ing, I'll fiddle with them a bit...
Yeah, give it a try. All boards have weird stuff on boot when it comes to ram, every generation, every brand.

Some boards don't like Corsair ram, for example. That's the funny one, to me (not as much of an issue as it was at X99 launch though, thankfully). Board's hating one brand of ram (because they were designed with different brand, who binned memory differently) is absolutely hilarious to me. Poor Corsair. Same with Kingston.. oh look.. you have Kingston. ROFL.

If you do sort it out as a ram issue... next time buy Crucial for low clocks, all else buy G.Skill.

I've specifically taken XMP profiled RAM at clock of 2400MHz because at that time 2400MHz was the highest officially uspported clock for Sabertooth X99. QVL list is meh. It's targeted at incredibly specific RAM. Looked at it for X58 but later bought just some RAM and it worked just the same... I'll check the list just for lolz anyway...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I've specifically taken XMP profiled RAM at clock of 2400MHz because at that time 2400MHz was the highest officially uspported clock for Sabertooth X99. QVL list is meh. It's targeted at incredibly specific RAM. Looked at it for X58 but later bought just some RAM and it worked just the same... I'll check the list just for lolz anyway...
QVL rams are the rams they've tested the board with, and used to develop the BIOS. IT may seem meh to you, but you do need to buy specific parts in order to get the best experience. They make those lists for a reason... although speed and timings may be similar, not all ram sticks are alike... different PCB, different BOM, different binning... different XMP profiling.

Crucial 2400 MHz runs on any board, with no XMP needed. That's why I recommend them for low speeds. ASUS works closely with G.Skill these days, as do other board makers(ASRock, etc). MSI likes Kingston and Corsair. Gigabyte likes both Corsair and G.Skill, but specific sticks only. There is still some skill left in chosing what parts you use to build systems these days, and if anything, it has become more specific than ever now.

I'm not saying that your problem is your ram, but it's something to look at. Like I said earlier, to deal with your problem, I'd go back to stock CPU, no XMP, no USB devices except keyboard and mouse (and only one drive if possible) flash most recent BIOS again, install windows in UEFI mode, get driver all up to date, get Windows re-activated and fully up to date with no tweaks, and then I'd do some testing as to whether sleep works correctly or not. All steps must be taken, in order. If under those conditions sleep fails, blame the board itself and send a ticket into ASUS. If you were in the US, I'd tell you to talk to Raja@ASUS on other forums, but since you are not, he won't help you (he sticks to his own support region).

Once you get it all working again, the nworry aobut OC again, tweaking ram, CPU, etc... stock speeds are enough for whatever you are doing anyway, unless benching. ROG boards are made for 24/7 OC at high speeds with everything tweaked, not Sabertooth, Sabertooth is low OC and high thermal loading with long lifespan. So good luck! :p

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
From where Rejzor picks up such problems... :pimp:

It has to be the MOBO bios. Be sure some things like clock gen reset are disabled. And some of those fishy AUTO settings. It really looks like RAM being initialized, insufficient booting voltage transition for VCSSA or something. Try raising that one up, exactly the boot voltage.