• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC hangs so hard power button isn't working

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It's definitely not GPU since i've unplugged it while i was debugging, it didn't change anything.

I've been logging all the temperatures and voltages via HWINFO before the last crash. But i can't get the log file since it's not booting. I don't think it's a chipset temperature because it was fine when i first started searching for a problem.

It actually doesn't. It mentions QLEDs (which are a set of debug BOOT, DRAM, CPU, VGA LEDs that light up (or don't, in my case) while the PC boots) and a 8pin LED which is off. It doesn't say anything about the LED near chipset or why would IO cover light up with red even if it's set to turn the LEDs off while PC is off.

I'm now 99% positive it's a PSU.
First of all: i've reassembled my PC on my desk as an open stand, used my old rusty 650W PSU that make strange noises while it works and it allowed me to encode for 30 minutes straight, that's when i got impatient.
I've hooked up my default PSU and PC didn't boot. It got stuck at DRAM QLED and i've tried 3 times. I've tried my old PSU again for sanity check and it worked. It also works right now while i make that post.
Another thing, and that's where i leave my other 1%: i'm using Thermaltake Sleeved Extension cables for all motherboard and GPU connections. The one that was going to 8 pin CPU is burnt. Plastic melted in some places. I suppose that's why i wasn't getting any QLEDs while 8 pin was hooked through it. When i got rid of it, i got at least DRAM QLED from my default PSU. Anyway, that means that both the extension cable and default PSU are now dead. I'm going to get a proper platinum Corsair PSU tomorrow and i'm not going to try my luck with more tests on old PSU.
Now, the only question is if there's any damage that burnt 8 pin cable did that i still don't know about... All the other extension cables are fine, but i think i'll get rid of all of them (the remaining 24PIN) except the GPU ones.

Thank you everyone!
The connection on the motherboard will be the same in all likelihood, once they get tarnished they tend to degrade, try to clean it with Ipa , contact cleaner and if possible a fibre brush but definitely check it out.
This is likely what actually killed the psu since once the grounds start going bad one effect is it will push up in rush current values as well as typical current load on the PSU.
Check your 24pin main atx connections for tarnishing of the pins and try to clean up or remove any tarnishing or charing, could also be worth checking out other components to make sure they are not drawing too much power since one of these could also have contributed.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X570 PRO
Cooling Single 360 EK rad with 3 exhaust pull fans, 2 intake fans
Memory 4x8GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733CL17
Video Card(s) ASUS 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 850 EVO, Intel P660, a bunch of HDDs
Display(s) 55" 4K Samsung TV KU6300
Case Cooler Master SL600M
Power Supply Cooler Master Power Supply V750 750W
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The connection on the motherboard will be the same in all likelihood, once they get tarnished they tend to degrade, try to clean it with Ipa , contact cleaner and if possible a fibre brush but definitely check it out.
This is likely what actually killed the psu since once the grounds start going bad one effect is it will push up in rush current values as well as typical current load on the PSU.
Check your 24pin main atx connections for tarnishing of the pins and try to clean up or remove any tarnishing or charing, could also be worth checking out other components to make sure they are not drawing too much power since one of these could also have contributed.
Well, the plastic on the motherboard side looks alright. I'll check it again when i swap PSU for another one. Am i looking for changed color on the pins?
Also, i don't think i can go to my local shop and tell them my PSU died and i want motherboard replaced "just in case". I guess i'll have to YOLO it in anyway...