1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Hardware Has Outsold All Consoles Combined.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CDdude55, Aug 6, 2010.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Pretty good stuffs.(though i like consoles):)

http://hardocp.com/news/2010/08/06/pc_hardware_outsells_consoles
    http://www.game-newswire.com/index.php/the-news/232.html
    http://www.bluesnews.com/s/112875/pc-hardware-outsells-consoles

2. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Kind of makes sense. How many parts make up a PC? Like 7-8?

But this is definitely encouraging news. Nice find.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sense given that a lot of crazy people (like a lot of us here on TPU) spend more just for one graphics card than it would cost for two consoles. ;)

CDdude55 and blu3flannel say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hell yes.

On average every main part like the cpu/motherboard/graphics card/power supply was as much as a wii practicly.

but PC's is what im good at and what i have a job in, and what i game with, what i do buisness with, what my artistic side is, what everything i do at home and at work is haahaha

5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I want to say there is at least $45,882,000 worth of parts in TPU alone.

Assuming the average rig here on TPU is $900 x 50,980 members ...

6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Thing that gets me is THEY see this and still refuse to make games for us ! We set the standard for games and we get the shaft every time ! I walk into a game store all I see is X box , PS , Wii nothing but console games one tinny shelf for PC games and yet we still buy up all the latest computer crap just so they can make games for the console only ? this trend has to stop . The facts are in CONSOLE gaming is STAGNANT it is out dated and needs to be revised , But since there is no money to be made in PC games they are going to continue to shove there CRAP games like star trek down our necks , Chocking us all the way down ! All the while WE set the standard for games while the console gamer gets all the games ? It should be the other way around ! We should get the best games EVER while the stagnant un-upgradable consoles Should be getting the less impressive games and less shelf space in the stores . But hey we will keep up buying there hardware all the while looking for that one cool game that maybe placed on a lonely dust covered darkened corner of the store .

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    In the PC scene, piracy is a little more prevalent. Also couple with that, I'd say that at least half if not more of the PCs in the world is used for other purposes besides gaming.

But although, Xbox360 has a removable/upgradable hard drive now!!! OMGGFJFOIJ!....heh, well, at least it added a little variety to it.

8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Well that is not very much of an upgrade when we have GPU's and DX11 with quad cores and the list is endless . There main focus is not on the PC market ( where I think it should be ) But on the fast cash world of consoles . Tell me just one console game that can compete with a game for today's PC ! When you have hardware that is 4-5 years OLD and still make games for them and watch the PC taking leaps forward NOT staying the same , Wouldn't that tell you some thing at all ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree with you.

But an owner of an Xbox 360 being able to switch out something other than a type of controller gives him/her 1 more option. And if it's anything, PC and consoles alike, its nice to have options. But I also think that if you give users enough options, it will change the market of consoles to a more computer kind of environment. Which the consoles are not meant to be, like you said.

PC games can be compared to consoles only up to a point, then it's gets totally different. Keyboard/Mouse combo will always have their signature FPS/RPG games and console controllers will always have their undeniably great RPG/Action-Adventure games. I like both, but everyone has their own preference, and I would stick my neck out there and say most people on TPU favor PC games :eek:

10. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but Console games outsell PC games. Ask any game shop...

11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    That's because the majority of those ''game shops'' don't even sell PC games most of the time.

Also, consoles dominate the mainstream market in terms of gaming. I really doubt PC gaming wil ever take over consoles in terms of gaming sales, and with the release of things like Kinect and PS Move, they will still dominate that market for a long time to come.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  12. Pc ftw

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    steam >> gamestop any day. who cares if gamestop sells more console games than pc games. rofl. i can buy games in my flippin underwear and pride myself on it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Amen brother!!

Gamestop is way too overpriced anyway. I haven't bought a game from them in 3 maybe 4 years. Too many other sellers getting rid of games for way less.

15. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just stating facts.

Walmart, Target, Toys R Us. etc etc. Are all stocked up on Console games and very little PC games.

They're are they're to make money. If PC games were selling, they would be stocked up on it. Period.

16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Only because they refuse to sell PC games . It is a fact . PC gaming only suffers from the lack of sponsorship from places like Game Stop . If you took the console games and did this to them you would see my point .
    The thing that gets me the MOST is that we get all this kick ass hardware and the gaming industry fails to write us any games that will knock our dic# 's in the dirt . Why would you want to write code for the same slow ass crap is beyond me !

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    From the start, as history can tell from the earliest points of gaming, its that console gaming was imbedded into our minds as the mainstream way to play games, period. It is a pre-conditioned idea that has sunk into people's brains long ago. You can compare PC games to console games of any point in time, console games have always outsold PC games. From the start, PCs were NOT meant to be used for gaming, certainly not one of early purposes of them anyway. But now times have changed and people now build PCs just to play games, but still, console games outsell. Why? We are pre-conditioned at an early age.

18. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to grammar nazi and no doubt someone will find a problem with my post as well but they're = they are. So your post reads:

They are are they are to make money. Little confusing at 0230 in the morning!

On topic; yay PC gamers etc we are the best ever blah blah blah. Wont stop developers making a quick buck off consoles.

19. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    No, the number of PCs with descrete graphics cards outsold consoles.

Now you could say this shows that people bought more gaming computers, or it should be related to the fact that Intel's top platform that everyone wanted didn't have an integrated video option, so a descrete card had to be used...you decided...

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:

I would say in the near future pc gaming,console gaming and movie watching will be all on one platform and then maybe we will see a change for the better.

Would be nice to sit down in your living room chair and do some gaming ,movie watching or web browsing on your 50 in. flat screen from some keyboard based controller.

21. KainXS

Thanks Received:
    thats what I would think also but PC's will always be the proving ground when it comes to games, where developers can really push things to the limits, especially when new consoles come out, theres always a boom then.

22. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is also a weak comparison. PC hardware changes every month. And 'some' people always want the latest technology. Some people do it as a hobby and some just do it to show off their performance numbers.

I mean, they're comparing (PC Hardware), which consists of over 10 components that gets a new release every couple months, to a (Console) that gets updated every 4+ years.

Also, they're counting Hard Drives which is also used on the Xbox and PS3.

So of course PC (hardware) will outsell Gaming console. Almost everyone uses a PC. But not all of them use it for gaming.

End the end, Gaming Console sells more games. This is why PC games are available on steam for a huge discount. While console games are available at retail outlets for 50+... No one wants to pay 50+ for a PC game. Even though it has an edge (graphic wise and so on).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  23. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that bro:toast::rockout:;)

PC FTW but i still like consoles, PC for me is much more addicted though:cry:

24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    You'll always find that it's the ''harder'' core gamers that game on the PC, they're the people that tweak, mod, upgrade etc. You have to remember that as stated before, it's the consoles that have been implanted into our minds that that's the way to play games, you either buy an Xbox 360, PS3, Wii or whatever else they plan to change to years from now. Each console is owned by a very large company who advertises the shit out of there platform including games, where as PC you don't have a definitive owner of the platform, so there's little to no advertising. That's one big factor in why PC will never be as big as consoles in gaming. Then you always have these misconceptions that float around... like you have to spend thousands of dollars on a PC just to run games, that's clearly wrong to you and me, but that's not how it's perceived to most. You think the majority of gamers give a damn about whats inside the machine?, or tweaking there games?.. hell no, they just want a machine where they can throw in a disk and start gaming away, that's how the majority whats to game, they want to buy a machine that there friends and commercials tell them is cool and awesome and you can get ''that new halo game'' on. PC doesn't do that, PC is open to everyone, it's not restricted both inside and out(to a degree) and it's a platform where modding and creativity runs rampant and yet i can still guarantee that it will never be as popular as consoles for gaming, people strive for easy, they strive for something simple and that's what consoles are.

But, i do loves me some console gaming though, there are just some great games that i just can't get on PC and it would be ignorant and stupid of me to miss them just because they're not on PC.

25. NAVI_Z

NAVI_Z New Member

Thanks Received:
    no choice but to agree here.Games like "God of War"; Grand Tourismo 5";"Metal Gear series".I hope some folks will try to understand that its not about whats better but where the MONEY is.These are corperate companies in the buisiness of making MONEY.Trust me when i say that if there were more MONEY in pc gaming we would have the baddest tiltles.So i have the best of both worlds. A pc in every room and two ps2's; two ps3's;and a Wii.