• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC monitor sometimes goes blank when there's lightning and someone plug/unplug electrical inlet.

Why my monitor sometimes goes blank when there's lightning strike also when someone plug/unplug electrical inlet.
The monitor actually a Samsung TV that have a HDMI port that I use as PC monitor, I tried to change from flat HDMI cable to round one but the problem still persist.
Any help appreciated.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If this is happening more than once every so often, then, starting right now, you need to unplug your valuable electronics from the wall EVERY TIME there is severe weather in your area.

Then you need to have your house wiring checked out. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Lastly, you should consider putting your valuable electronics on a "good" UPS with AVR. A UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) will clean up the power coming off your power grid before it gets fed to your valuable electronics. While these devices are often called battery backups, providing power during a full power outage is really just a minor benefit these provide. It is the AVR that really matters. The batteries serve two main purposes. (1) They are used to "boost" the voltage during low voltage events. These include dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) and brownouts (long duration sags) - all of which can cause excessive stress and strain on your electronics' power supplies and own internal voltage regulators. And (2) the batteries provide backup power during a full power outage, or when extreme surges, spikes, dips and sags are encountered. But note this backup power should not be used so you can keep using the computers or to watch TV indefinitely. The run time the backup power provides should be used to "gracefully" save any open documents, close out any running programs, and then properly shut down the computers and other sensitive electronics until the grid power is fully restored.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Why my monitor sometimes goes blank when there's lightning strike also when someone plug/unplug electrical inlet.
Test as Bill Says
Then you need to have your house wiring checked out. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

as bill also says and recommends

Lastly, you should consider putting your valuable electronics on a "good" UPS with AVR. A UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) will clean up the power coming off your power grid before it gets fed to your valuable electronics. While these devices are often called battery backups, providing power during a full power outage is really just a minor benefit these provide. It is the AVR that really matters. The batteries serve two main purposes. (1) They are used to "boost" the voltage during low voltage events. These include dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) and brownouts (long duration sags) - all of which can cause excessive stress and strain on your electronics' power supplies and own internal voltage regulators. And (2) the batteries provide backup power during a full power outage, or when extreme surges, spikes, dips and sags are encountered. But note this backup power should not be used so you can keep using the computers or to watch TV indefinitely. The run time the backup power provides should be used to "gracefully" save any open documents, close out any running programs, and then properly shut down the computers and other sensitive electronics until the grid power is fully restored.

note they are really necessary in countrys / Regions that have Vague Reliability where Electrical supply is concerned

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Need a whole home surge arrestor, then a BBU/UPS

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The problem with whole home surge protection is they do nothing for excessive surges and spikes that originate from within the home. For example, let's say your daughter just bought a new $15 1500W hair dryer made in some back woods factory in China with parts manufactured in a similar factory upriver and assembled by an underaged labor force :( :cry: supervised by unscrupulous management :mad: over-watched by corrupt government officials :mad::mad: (breathe, breathe). And that hair dryer fails catastrophically, the whole home arrester will not protect your computer from any excessive surge or spike that might be interjected into that circuit.

Actually, any electronic device, if damaged, can interject destructive surges and spike down the line. So for sure, a "good" UPS with AVR is highly recommended - whether your home has a whole-home surge protection or note.

Plus, not sure you can even install whole-home surge protection if you rent your house or live in an apartment.

I don't know - those might be one of those things 20/20 hindsight makes you wish you bought it. My power company is constantly bugging me to get it. If it was a one-time purchase, I might consider it. But after paying $125 for the initial equipment, there is a recurring $7 monthly fee ($10/month if I add cable and phone line protection). But worse, the coverage is horrible, IMO. If a direct lightning strike burns down my house, and the power company (not me or my insurance company) determines the arrester failed, it will only pay up to $50,000. That will not rebuild my house. And it only covers up to a measly $500 "per event" should an "event" zap my computer or my big screen TV. In other words, it will cover my home owners insurance deductible and that's it. :( Now of course, the idea is that it is a proactive measure, instead of after-the-fact but I'm not really seeing the value and I live in Tornado Alley.

Hi guys,
Thanks for all replies.
I don't think power surge is the cause, even if I plug in a small fan to the outlet sometime can blank the monitor (about a second or two).
There are 2 refrigerators that never interrupt the monitor when their compressor goes on or off.

Processor 3700x @ 4.3
Motherboard Crosshair 7 hero
Cooling Kraken X62
Memory 16GB Trident-Z 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2080 XC Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 evo 500gb NVME
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
Case NZXT H500
Audio Device(s) Phillips SHP 9500s.....Audio Technica AT 2035 microphone.....Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.
Power Supply EVGA 850W Supernova G2
Mouse Model O
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software Windows 10
When my long hair cat passes by the back of my Asus rog swift pg348q the monitor goes blank for a few seconds. I have checked the power cable and replaced the display port cable, still happens.

Low quality post by moproblems99
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
When my long hair cat passes by the back of my Asus rog swift pg348q the monitor goes blank for a few seconds. I have checked the power cable and replaced the display port cable, still happens.

You should start bringing your cat offerings to stay on its good side.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Have you tried moving your rig to a different room to see if the issue persists? It could be as simple as your outlet has a bad connection. I had a GFCI outlet that would trip whenever I plugged anything into it, or into any other outlet in that circuit. Opened the electrical outlet box to find that the neutral had come loose. Replaced the GFCI and made the proper connections (with the breaker off, of course), and voila, no more problems.

Low quality post by flmatter
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
Low quality post by Darmok N Jalad
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
It is only a little zap and tingly feeling for an hour or so. :) hahaha
Disclaimers, you know. It’s the cattle fence that really hurts. o_O

Low quality post by cucker tarlson
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
shave it.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Don't let your cat on the desk, problem solved.

Low quality post by moproblems99
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Low quality post by advanced3
Processor 3700x @ 4.3
Motherboard Crosshair 7 hero
Cooling Kraken X62
Memory 16GB Trident-Z 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX2080 XC Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 evo 500gb NVME
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
Case NZXT H500
Audio Device(s) Phillips SHP 9500s.....Audio Technica AT 2035 microphone.....Scarlett 2i2 audio interface.
Power Supply EVGA 850W Supernova G2
Mouse Model O
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software Windows 10
Low quality post by Caring1
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
1. When posting a question like this, your location and complete list of components in your build us helpful, one might say required if the problem is associated with known problems in your area or with certain componentry.

2. It's the pulling out / replugging thing that gives me most concern. When a load is removed from a circuit and then reapplied, there is a momentary voltage drop. Something along the way is not responding well to that drop. Likely cause is your PSU but pretty much anything that is "outta whack" in your PC or in your homes electric circuitry might be the cause.

3. The lightning thing seems unlikely as the proximate cause. I say this cause it occurs when you unplug / replug any other small load electric item into a socket. I expect that this also occurs when a refrigerator or AC / compressor turns on / off. Lighting would certainly be a secondary cause it's likely causing a small voltage variation that you are causing yaself every time you plug / unplug something.

4. First thing I'd do is have your power company come and and check out your electric service. They will confirm that proper power is being delivered to the mast head. From there, the responsibility for testing and troubleshooting is yours.

5. If we knew what PSU you were using, that might be a solid indicator as to the cause of the problem. If the PSU is seeing something it things of wrong it may cause a break in the signal. Swapping it out with a known good PSU can help here.

6. What happens if you use the TV as a TV without the computer ? This would confirm Item 5 above.

7. If it persists, then I'd try the TV at a friend's house who is not experiencing your problem. If it persists, it's the TV.

Low quality post by R-T-B
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
shave it.

I feel obliged to inform you you have been placed on the "to be eaten soon" list by my patron God, the frog god.

Just relaying the info. Not passing judgement, but if I were you, I'd stay away from ponds.