• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 750 W

PC Power & Cooling decided to enrich their Silencer MK3 line with two new units of 750 W and 850 W capacity. Today, we will fully test the 750 W unit featuring a semi-modular cabling design, Gold efficiency, selectable hybrid fan operation and a nice white color.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

Helimex

Increase +12V output

Hi crmaris, sorry to bother you but I need some help. I will appreciate if you check this thread and see if you have the answer I'm looking for. Thank you and really sorry to bother.

ChunkyComputerGuy

I purchased one of these last year(2017, spring). It lasted less than a year, about 7 months. For RMA I had to pay to ship it to them. Took 3 weeks for them to ship me a "refurbished" unit and who knows how old that one is....Anyway that one was damaged physically. The 20/24 power connector was broken, plastic was crushed. So I called and they had me take a picture. No apology or anything, just "We will ship you out another one tomorrow." So another 3 weeks pass and I get another refurbished unit. Also they packed it pretty poorly in my opinion. Used a box that was only slightly bigger than the PSU itself, wrapped the power supply in a clear plastic bag and left the cords hanging out of the bag. Then they used just one sheet of bubble wrap, so one layer. If anything happened to box the box it could easily go through and damage the power supply physically. I guess I got duped thinking it was good quality due to the Pc Power & Cooling name. However it's not Pc Power & Cooling anymore and is now "Firepower Technology". Shame on me for not looking further into this before purchasing it. I know PC Power & Cooling used to be good and their power supplies used to manufactured by Seasonic, but now that's not the case. Now I'm stuck with this thing since they don't offer refunds. I really don't trust it enough to put it in my build. I read "Super Flower" manufactures this but I've also read SirTec.

ChunkyComputerGuy

So any opinions on whether or not I should actually trust this refurbished unit in one of my builds?. Also can anyone tell me who actually manufactured this one that I have?. Would I be better off purchasing a new Corsair?. I mean I don't really trust this refurbished PSU but I'm really finicky when it comes to parts I trust in my pc, especially the power supply. Anyone here actually trust Firepower Technology? I mean I'm sure it was an "Ok" PSU in 2012-2013, but today?. I have no clue who manufactures the ones made today or within the last 2 years or so. Some guesses I've mentioned in my post above but they are only guesses. So to me it's of unknown quality, my only experience with it is what I stated above. I'm sure that it's manufactured by a different company now that it was in 2013 when the review posted was written, so it could be better or it could be worse. Like I said though, my only experience with it was stated above. I have a PSU that is actually from Pc Power & Cooling that is about 10 years old and still running great today. However, that unit was purchased in 2008, when they were still PC Power & Cooling I believe. No they are just selling overpriced power supplies on the name to people that don't know the company has changed. Admittedly- I was one of those suckers.

Last edited:
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo

ChunkyComputerGuy

you answered your own question:

so if ya have the money buy a new one but we dont know your system so rest is guessing for us.

here is a list:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page1418.htm

You don't need to know my system to know if Firepower Technology is a quality company by today's standards. I was asking if anyone knew who manufacturers Firepower Technology Power Supplies currently as they are still being sold today. The one I purchased was purchased last year, 2017. I'm sure they still don't use the same manufacturer that they did in the past. Just trying to get a read on what other people think of this company. I know they used to be popular years ago when they were called "Pc Power & Cooling". They have since been purchased by OCZ in 2007 and then Firepower Technology in 2014. They used to be the king of Power Supply companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Power_and_Cooling

I've actually read a ton of good reviews on this power supply. They were all written around Jan-Feb 2013 though. Post purchase user reviews and websites like this one have all been really good. The only one review that I've read that was a bit poor was HardOCP. So I even emailed the guy and asked and he said he would not put it in his pc. Then again I don't know anything about any of these review sites but out of all the reviews of it, his was the only one that was a bit negative.

ChunkyComputerGuy

Firepower Technology seems to trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Doing business as (DBA) is a term that is used in today’s business industry in regards to the liability and formal actions that are taken by a particular company. Doing business as means that the company is working under a fictitious name, concealing its true identity.
- from here.

Now try and tell me that's not shady and Firepower Technology isn't trying to profit off of the name "Pc Power & Cooling". It also seems most of their "Pc Power & Cooling" branded power supplies are marked way up way over what they should cost. They are selling old outdated technology power supplies at a premium price while not disclosing or hiding that "Pc Power & Cooling" doesn't really exist anymore and it's just a name that people equate with quality. Or at least they did prior to 2007 when they were first purchased by OCZ and before Firepower Technology purchased what was left of them in 2014.

I'm not making any claims or anything here, just going by what I read it doesn't "seem" as if they are being forthright with people.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Hold up time of 1.4Ms when the graph shows 14.6Ms.
Also could the comparison charts be consistent please, they start with an FSP Aurum, then that's replaced by a Fractal Design, then back again in others.
That's not really helpful for those in the market looking for all the stats.

ChunkyComputerGuy

Hold up time of 1.4Ms when the graph shows 14.6Ms.
Also could the comparison charts be consistent please, they start with an FSP Aurum, then that's replaced by a Fractal Design, then back again in others.
That's not really helpful for those in the market looking for all the stats.

I believe the graph is correct. The minimum hold up time standard is 17ms according to the Intel Power Supply Design Guide Revision 1.4 - After clicking on the link scroll to page 20. So even at 14.6Ms the Silencer MK III 750 doesn't even meet the minimum. Pretty upsetting. The only thing that still stands out about the Firepower Technology MK III 750 is the ripple. It seems to compete with new model power supplies and even beat them in that aspect. They still are a pretty shady company in my opinion, if you read my previous posts and clicked on the links you will see why I think that.