• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC reboots after changing graphics card

1. CPU was overclocked since i bought it using default option in BIOS, as i said before i tried resetting BIOS setting to default, thus removing any overclocking.
2. I play Witcher 3 atm, tried Metro Exodus also for about 2 hours, it was fine, and Red Dead Redemption 2 - PC rebooted during starting cinematic so i stopped trying it.

1. On the overclock, I would just check to make sure the default didn't include XMP

2. When setting up new builds, I create several BIOS and MSI AB profiles:
a) Stock
b) Everyday Usage ... highest stable OC with confortable temps
c) Extreme Gaming ... Highest stable OC, HT off (usually about + 0,2 GHz)
d) Problem Games like Metro and Battlefield

So yeah, some games are particularly tough with extreme OCS.

3. Was just stating the obvious since topic came up

4. I moltly suspect the VRM quality ... the VRMS on your components have an easier time when they don't have to chase significant variances coming from the MoBo.

5. The side comment on th BSOD was just that, it should not do this if disabled. The windows system log however is available anytime to vire. No... geez don't post the entiure log. But do open event viewer and examine the log, focusig on the time of the crash ... look for any yellow warning / red error entries... read them, copy them and do web searches... post JUST those entries here ... error description and details.

6. Try the card in another box.

7. There was a time back in the day when Furmark throttled ... I have not encountered in many years, even on laptops.

System Name Home
Processor Intel Core i5 - 6600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X PERFORMA/+
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8Gb KIT)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 8G
Storage 240Gb SSD Kingston UV400, 1Tb SATA-III Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Samsung C27F396FHI
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Scout 2
Power Supply Thermaltake Evo Blue 2.0 750W
Software Windows 10 x64
1. On the overclock, I would just check to make sure the default didn't include XMP

2. When setting up new builds, I create several BIOS and MSI AB profiles:
a) Stock
b) Everyday Usage ... highest stable OC with confortable temps
c) Extreme Gaming ... Highest stable OC, HT off (usually about + 0,2 GHz)
d) Problem Games like Metro and Battlefield

So yeah, some games are particularly tough with extreme OCS.

3. Was just stating the obvious since topic came up

4. I moltly suspect the VRM quality ... the VRMS on your components have an easier time when they don't have to chase significant variances coming from the MoBo.

5. The side comment on th BSOD was just that, it should not do this if disabled. The windows system log however is available anytime to vire. No... geez don't post the entiure log. But do open event viewer and examine the log, focusig on the time of the crash ... look for any yellow warning / red error entries... read them, copy them and do web searches... post JUST those entries here ... error description and details.

6. Try the card in another box.

7. There was a time back in the day when Furmark throttled ... I have not encountered in many years, even on laptops.

Dont wanna joy beforehand, but it works fine for now. The only thing i did was trying to update Realtek audio driver for my mobo, after failing to do that i just deleted it. I guess there's chance it was conflicting somehow with something in my graphics card?

Btw if it is the reason it kinda explains why it went well 2 days after reinstalling windows, windows update did install it i guess, but a bit later.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
System Name Home
Software Windows 10 x64

Jvz1

Just Reinstall windows. I had this issue when a I replace a GTX 1060 6G with a GTX 1650 Super, after trying several fixes reinstallation was the only one that works.

Later I replace the GTX 1650 Super with a Rt 5600xt and the PC begun to restart again so I reinstall window and now is working fine.
PSU issues are discarded because if you had problems with this component PC won’t turn on. Also Thermals, you should notice some burn smell if that was the problem.

Brayan

Has anyone figured out what is going on with this card?
I have a Gigabyte RTX 2070 super oc and it does the same thing. There is times when it keeps restarting my pc. Once, while I was playing the Witcher 3 and then multiple times when I've been using blender. Not even rendering anything, just working on lights and a few simple objects.

System Name Home
Software Windows 10 x64
Has anyone figured out what is going on with this card?
I have a Gigabyte RTX 2070 super oc and it does the same thing. There is times when it keeps restarting my pc. Once, while I was playing the Witcher 3 and then multiple times when I've been using blender. Not even rendering anything, just working on lights and a few simple objects.
Not sure how it could be possible but i finally figured out it was PSU. After i fixed driver problem in about 2 months i tried playing cs go with new mobo and CPU, although PSU power was obviously enough, it was constantly crashing. Replaced it and everything works fine now.
So check PSU first even if it doesnt look like it causes the problem.

Brayan

Not sure how it could be possible but i finally figured out it was PSU. After i fixed driver problem in about 2 months i tried playing cs go with new mobo and CPU, although PSU power was obviously enough, it was constantly crashing. Replaced it and everything works fine now.
So check PSU first even if it doesnt look like it causes the problem.

Okay, thanks!

Brayan

Just in case anyone reads this in the future, after under-clocking(?), my PC hasn't crashed. I intend to upgrade my power supply but for now I have lowered the memory and core clock by 400, and lowered the power consumption to 70% using msi afterburner. I tried lowering the power consumption only and that didn't help. So I also lowered the clocks and that did it.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Just in case anyone reads this in the future, after under-clocking(?), my PC hasn't crashed. I intend to upgrade my power supply but for now I have lowered the memory and core clock by 400, and lowered the power consumption to 70% using msi afterburner. I tried lowering the power consumption only and that didn't help. So I also lowered the clocks and that did it.
Card has 2 8-pin connectors for power. Are you using single pci-e power cable to connect those or two separate cables?
What psu do you have?

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Are you using single pci-e power cable to connect those or two separate cables?

And even then, it doesn't make much of a difference:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Not sure how it could be possible but i finally figured out it was PSU

I was reading through the thread. Wish I would've seen it sooner but your2070 typical load is almost twice as much as your old 1060. Makes sense if the psu was manufactured 7yrs ago and is 4-5yrs old. Good to see you got it sorted.

Check your eventviewer.
Had someone here where its PC rebooted because of a DRM.

In your eventviewer, look for "Kernel Power". Those are the events when your PC is prompt to reboot or start.
You can look at the events close to those above if they don't give any interesting details.