• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC sales see 'longest decline' in history

Processor i5-4670k
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Titan Triple Copper Heatpipe
Memory 8gb (2x4gb kit) Kingston HyperX Genesis Dual-DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Palit 3gb GTX 780
Storage 240GB Intel 550 Series SSD, 2TB WD Caviar Black x2, 2TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster S24B300
Case CoolerMaster Silencio 650
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 5.1
Power Supply Corsair Pro Series HX850-80 Gold Modular
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark - 7893
I doubt it. Many people bought the first wave of "HD-Ready" TVs, only to find out that when HD content was available, their TV wasn't actually HD-capable.

4K panels will get the same reception as 3D TVs. It'll just be a fad until they are sub-$750 USD for a 45-inch panel. That is far off still.

The only problem I can see with that is the amount it would cost for sufficient GPU hardware to run games with decent settings and FPS at that res.

Let's take a broader perspective for just a moment here.

Computers cost an arm and a leg when they were first released. As the features developed, pricing dropped. Eventually, the pre-built market brought in $500 and less models. They didn't have all the features, but they introduced people to a whole new world at an affordable price.

Some people latched on to computers (see these forums). In doing so, they created a test market that would pay to be the beta testers for the pre-built market. It meant that the technology was being forced forwards by market demand.

New features meant new hardware requirements. The bloat eventually led to Vista, and the debacle with the "Vista capable" tags meant consumers were righteously angry. In response, the OS was forced to be more efficient. A more efficient OS meant less reason to upgrade hardware. No reason to update hardware meant a stagnation, where a $500 PC from 5 years prior could be a viable tool. If there's no reason to spend money people don't, so the pre-built market is stagnating.

The rise of the mobile device coincided with the efficient OS. A tablet or smart phone might not be powerful, but they could definitely best a three year old pre-built computer. The really attractive portion came when the price of a cheap tablet actually fell below that of a traditional mobile entertainment device (see the DS or Vita).

The tablet isn't good enough to be a productivity device, at least not at the $100 point. The real genius is that the input becomes familiar, so a later purchase of a sufficiently powerful device at $500 seems reasonable. People buy what they know, and the cheaper tablet devices have a much better chance of being purchased on a whim.

Now, all of the previous statements were based on experience. The simple truth is that Intel signaled that PC development wasn't focused on pushing limits any more when they allowed the enthusiast level hardware to lag the mainstream hardware by a generation. I don't appreciate it, but the PC is transitioning into something new. Being inflexible on seeing what the PC becomes won't save the traditional PC, no matter how much I'd personally like it to.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
PC sales are down, yet PC gaming sales are wayyy up. You can't explain that! Can you, Gaben??

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
PC sales are down, yet PC gaming sales are wayyy up. You can't explain that! Can you, Gaben??

Don't know if you're serious or not, but there are PC's and there are PC's, and not all PC owners play games.

D

Deleted member 24505

Most people i know have a PC, but not like my group of PC gamers. Most of the others use theirs for film, browsing etc, and game on a console.

StormyNights

??/ There was nothing wrong with Vista. I was a resource hog and they got that fixed.

10 year old PC's??? Now I am laughing. 10 year old PC users were and are ones who point blank cannot afford one past and present. This is pretty much the home user anyhow..... The problem is tablets and hand helds. Everyone is buying a tablet. If tablets and hand held phones did not exist, the PC market would be down pretty much according to the economy. How many 10 year old PC's do you see in the job market?

In the past 5 years, businesses could buy an adequate PC for under $300. That was NOT the case 10 years ago. If you could find anything close, the performance was shit. Today( and up to 5 years or so), $300 and under can get a business a very worthy computer and now you can get more mileage out of the box compared to yesteryear.

Even funnier, where do you get making software and facebook run like shit. Are you making things up? If companies did this there would be class action lawsuits all over the place.

All these ass writers do not take consideration how many tablets and handheld are produced and they do not include the new technology in economic figures. They pray on poor Intel losing marketshare and who gives a ratts ass. Technology has change and the PC will never be the PC again. Time for all the writing ass turds to get over this. Until CPU technology takes a major turn. people will have there current PC longer than many years in the past. Intels and AMDs loss is other companies gains ATM. The industry has shifted and probably will never be the same due to technology.

Less than 5%(probably less than 2%) of the market are individual components. The vast majority are Pre Builts so individual components won't push the bar either way.

Pc's since I've been alive have basically been the testbed for products that would later be added to the home usually in the form of entertainment....PC users are basically BETA testers for new tech...

But now you can carry all of that in a pouch or in your pocket for about $200 or less...
PC's are no longer in BETA development, SMART devices are...follow the trend like good little sheep.

I agree with both your arguments. Technology has changed the pc and for 1 I am excited to see how this changes. With nano tech being introduced into testing for components who knows were this market is going to go. For me the computer will never die. Right now mobile devices just to have the capabiltiy to match what desktops can do.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Personally, I think its down to many factors, and most have already been mentioned in this thread albeit some major points are slightly overlooked.

Software was mentioned. doesnt matter if its games or productivity software etc etc.

I have always firmly believed that the lack of dedicated 'pc only' titles lead to the slow demise of the enthusiast/gaming PC. Factor in the fact that almost every game released today is a glorified console port and when the same game is released on all devices its obvious which platform the consumer is going to buy into, Its not rocket science.

Part of the problem is Microsoft, they have pushed themselves into a difficult spot with the need to support both the PC platform and their consoles - hence thats why a lot of PC gaming studio's that were once owned by Microsoft have been shut down. Back in the day they were probably one of the biggest supporters as the PC being an entertainment device and not just something for office use.

the gaming industry needs to buck the trend. create PC only titles - titles that people want to play and gives people a reason to pick the game up. I cant even begin to express how unfairly the gaming pc has been treated in this field. there have been some extremely bad console ports, there have been some pretty good ones but games that are PC only are very few and far between. When consumers already own a console, they buy games for it instead because the games they want to play are released on it.

For example what if Battlefield or Call Of Duty returned to its roots and went pc only because the consoles just didnt have the processing power needed to run the game? Not only would they lose a fuck tonne of money but look at how much of the console community would follow when they move platforms - Im sure they would bring a lot of players over. Obviously they wont do that because they are too deep in the console market to pull off a stunt like that, but nothing is stopping them from making newer titles PC only to promote and push the platform.

Unfortunately you have many developers like Ubisoft & Epic Games with outdated views about how the PC platform is 'rife with piracy' when most of these devs havent made a game that people really really wanted to play in the last decade. Sure piracy is a problem. It will always be a problem but the community has changed so much since 10 years ago and since almost all games are multiplayer based, the chances of someone purchasing a game are a ridiculously a lot higher then 10 years ago. Whens the last time you heard of someone being able to get onto legit/authentic multiplayer servers with a cracked game?? I havent heard of this since CoD:WaW and even then you needed a server thats also been 'cracked' just so you can bypass the serial key checks and security measures. but those servers are usually full of wallhackers and botters, why anyone would want to join a server like that is beyond me unless they were part of the crowd that was doing the hacking.

the days of cracked Multiplayer servers are long gone. The community has moved on from all that and the devs need to move on as well instead of shunning the platform and embrace the advantages that comes along with the PC platform instead of just half-arsing a game, removing half of it for day 1 DLC then selling it on the console because they know people are stupid enough to buy it.

the industry needs to change. Unfortunately given how deeply rooted the console market is and the focus of developers its something of vicious uphill struggle if not a 'barking at the moon' rant.

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
For me the computer will never die. Right now mobile devices just to have the capabiltiy to match what desktops can do.

While I praise your dedication in desktop PCs, the inevitable truth is that it will be less relevant to companies as they see more profit growth focusing more on the mobile/tablets sector. But at the same time, mobile devices (specifically smartphones/tablets) will NEVER fully be able to do what a desktop can do because there won't ever be enough power to do so.

The small form factor of smartphones/tablets are there to appease teenagers, "on-the-go" business people, and travellers (maybe a few other target audiences that I might have left out). But there is simply not enough resources for a tablet to do heavy photoshopping/CAD/video editing. Gaming is also a very minor selling point in tablets, let alone they can't even put out the graphics that can rival a desktop. Businesses will also never get rid of the desktop because it's simply too much to sacrifice (application support, efficiency).

StormyNights

While I praise your dedication in desktop PCs, the inevitable truth is that it will be less relevant to companies as they see more profit growth focusing more on the mobile/tablets sector. But at the same time, mobile devices (specifically smartphones/tablets) will NEVER fully be able to do what a desktop can do because there won't ever be enough power to do so.

The small form factor of smartphones/tablets are there to appease teenagers, "on-the-go" business people, and travellers (maybe a few other target audiences that I might have left out). But there is simply not enough resources for a tablet to do heavy photoshopping/CAD/video editing. Gaming is also a very minor selling point in tablets, let alone they can't even put out the graphics that can rival a desktop. Businesses will also never get rid of the desktop because it's simply too much to sacrifice (application support, efficiency).

True about companies seeing profit growth on mobile sector. Problem is that alot of applications that establish companies use are held back due to the software vendors not meeting needs. As an example using out dated IE due to lack of java support for applications. These app databases and such depend on what is already there. So unless software companies are able to keep up to date faster a large corp would go the route of continuing desktop laptop support before purchasing or hiring a company to create programs that meet specific needs.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
True about companies seeing profit growth on mobile sector. Problem is that alot of applications that establish companies use are held back due to the software vendors not meeting needs. As an example using out dated IE due to lack of java support for applications. These app databases and such depend on what is already there. So unless software companies are able to keep up to date faster a large corp would go the route of continuing desktop laptop support before purchasing or hiring a company to create programs that meet specific needs.

Apps aren't the only problem. The reason the mobile market is as strong as it is, is because people are comfortable with mobile devices they can put in a pocket or backpack. People are NOT comfortable sitting at a desk at a pc.

This is why, for some, consoles and PCs are in competition.. because the only use they see for PCs are either for games, or the internet. And a big part of that problem is the form factor of current PCs. The big monolithic tower is what is dying...not really PCs. Smartphones ARE PCs.

And you need to think about that part too...PC = PERSONAL COMPUTER. what's more personal than the device in your pocket, with a screen so small, it's hard to share?

Far too many people underestimate the impact of mindshare.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Apps aren't the only problem. The reason the mobile market is as strong as it is, is because people are comfortable with mobile devices they can put in a pocket or backpack. People are NOT comfortable sitting at a desk at a pc.

This is why, for some, consoles and PCs are in competition.. because the only use they see for PCs are either for games, or the internet. And a big part of that problem is the form factor of current PCs. The big monolithic tower is what is dying...not really PCs. Smartphones ARE PCs.

And you need to think about that part too...PC = PERSONAL COMPUTER. what's more personal than the device in your pocket, with a screen so small, it's hard to share?

Far too many people underestimate the impact of mindshare.

Agreed. I was actually watching a small interview video of Steve Ballmer talking about the change in form factors of the PC.

Basically said that PC isn't dying its changing. The form factor from big massive towers to small devices like tablets is what the PC is evolving too.

"PCs are changing form factors"

StormyNights

Agreed. I was actually watching a small interview video of Steve Ballmer talking about the change in form factors of the PC.

Basically said that PC isn't dying its changing. The form factor from big massive towers to small devices like tablets is what the PC is evolving too.

"PCs are changing form factors"

Do you happen to know were you seen that video or have a link that you can post I would like to watch it if possible. and I agree with you and the previous post. Didn't think of it that way but a good point!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Do you happen to know were you seen that video or have a link that you can post I would like to watch it if possible. and I agree with you and the previous post. Didn't think of it that way but a good point!

The market has been moving in this direction for many years now, really. AMD fired the CEO or whoever for not pushing mobile designs for this same reason.

Way back in 2005, I was talking about this, even, my posts are still here and there on the interwebs. :p. Like with how the technology is shrinking, the PC form factors have not. The designs that ARE shrunk PCs, tablets and smartphones, have huge adoption. Users have been asking me directly to tell OEMs to bring out more mITX boards basically since I started reviewing boards here @ TPU. We are just starting to see true enthusiast mITX boards, now.

For me, computing is not just about performance and benchmarks, it's also about fitting that "horsepower" into our daily lives, and simply put, the traditional PC doesn't fit in with a modern lifestyle. Back in 2005 I was talking about people only using thin clients, and maybe one big "server" PC that holds all the needed data, and today, that's reality with Windows Server and Cloud Computing, combined with tablet PCs, consoles, and smart phones.

The "desktop PC" died years ago, and those that are here, are simply on life-support because of product dev cycles. Home Computing and Gaming, those aren't the desktop PC, and too many people fail to make the distinction between those differences, and use these as reasons for the desktop PC NOT dying. To me, that's no different than complaining about a new OS: that's having a complete lack of vision.

I tend to try to find the silver lining, so to speak, in everything, and frankly, the silver lining that comes with the death of the current desktop PC is a bit green, because all I see is $$$. I dunno why everyone doesn't.. or simply they do, but want it all for themselves. :roll:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
The market has been moving in this direction for many years now, really. AMD fired the CEO or whoever for not pushing mobile designs for this same reason.

Way back in 2005, I was talking about this, even, my posts are still here and there on the interwebs. :p. Like with how the technology is shrinking, the PC form factors have not. The designs that ARE shrunk PCs, tablets and smartphones, have huge adoption. Users have been asking me directly to tell OEMs to bring out more mITX boards basically since I started reviewing boards here @ TPU. We are just starting to see true enthusiast mITX boards, now.

For me, computing is not just about performance and benchmarks, it's also about fitting that "horsepower" into our daily lives, and simply put, the traditional PC doesn't fit in with a modern lifestyle. Back in 2005 I was talking about people only using thin clients, and maybe one big "server" PC that holds all the needed data, and today, that's reality with Windows Server and Cloud Computing, combined with tablet PCs, consoles, and smart phones.

The "desktop PC" died years ago, and those that are here, are simply on life-support because of product dev cycles. Home Computing and Gaming, those aren't the desktop PC, and too many people fail to make the distinction between those differences, and use these as reasons for the desktop PC NOT dying. To me, that's no different than complaining about a new OS: that's having a complete lack of vision.

I tend to try to find the silver lining, so to speak, in everything, and frankly, the silver lining that comes with the death of the current desktop PC is a bit green, because all I see is $$$. I dunno why everyone doesn't.. or simply they do, but want it all for themselves. :roll:
Dave has a very eloquent way of saying "I told you so".

Personally I just say......"I FU#KING TOLD YOU SO".

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Dave has a very eloquent way of saying "I told you so".

Personally I just say......"I FU#KING TOLD YOU SO".

Two prophets told the filthy masses of the coming Revelation and after that, the Decline. Then they made sweet, fisty love to each other and covered the masses with their sticky juice of what they claimed was truth.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Two prophets told the filthy masses of the coming Revelation and after that, the Decline. Then they made sweet, fisty love to each other and covered the masses with their sticky juice of what they claimed was truth.
The Lord works in mysterious ways.

:wtf:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

I actually just tried to look for the original to post with what I replied with, but couldn't find it. all I could find is people editing that video with his voice as a small girl, with much different dialogue.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt

Nerdy people like you and me buy them! Hahahahaha:slap::slap::slap:

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
It's not because people are not using PC's. It's because PC's 5 years ago are still relevant to an average user. It doesn't take a lot of power to browse Facebook or play there web based games. Blame the developer for average content. The only people that are keeping there computer up to date is gamers, and enthusiasts and we have a small foot hold on the market.

That and the fact that people are buying tablets. When people buy tablets it normally means the time until they upgrade their desktop increases.

TheNub

I can't wait till they quit trying to make these tablets smaller and start making them more powerful and upgradable. Start throwing some ports on these tablets for those of us that like to use them. I understand most things are going bluetooth and wifi but some of us could throw away laptops all together if i had an ethernet, serial, or even more usbs.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
What do they count as PC sale? If you buy a CPU+MoBo+RAM combo, did you buy a PC? So these declining figures are for prebuilt PCs. I guess nobody buys ready built PCs anymore, everyone and their grandma knows how to build one.

What do they count as PC sale? If you buy a CPU+MoBo+RAM combo, did you buy a PC? So these declining figures are for prebuilt PCs. I guess nobody buys ready built PCs anymore, everyone and their grandma knows how to build one.

Its hard to say, the OP did'nt have a link to the quote for further evidence.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

I believe it's referring to pre-built, brand-name PC's, which indeed are declining. What you are describing is enthusiast purchases for self-builds, and those sales numbers are extremely strong.