• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

pc shuts down at power on

GIGGLA

System Name PsychoTron
Processor Intel Q9450 @ 3.2
Motherboard Asus p5e (x38) @ 400 fsb Rampage Formula Bios
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro Antec 900 Case Fans
Memory 4gb G.Skill ddr2-1000
Video Card(s) MSI 280GTX @ 702/1404/1200
Storage 2X Seagate 500gb Raid-0 @7200rpm
Display(s) 24" Dell Widescreen LCD 1920x1200 5ms
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Onboard Supreme FX 2
Power Supply 750 watt pc power & cooling Crossfire edition
Software Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit
Hi guys I need a little tech support for my friend. When he powers on the pc the fans spin but then the pc shuts off, then he powers on again then the pc shuts off again. Then the 3rd time he powers on the pc it works. This happens every time he powers it up recently and he has not added any components or overclocked. I have already ruled out slow spinning fans, and he always leaves the power switch on the psu to on position. I asked him this because my enermax will not power on without keeping the psu switch always on. Thanks 4 any tech support good friends!:toast:

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Hi guys I need a little tech support for my friend. When he powers on the pc the fans spin but then the pc shuts off, then he powers on again then the pc shuts off again. Then the 3rd time he powers on the pc it works. This happens every time he powers it up recently and he has not added any components or overclocked. I have already ruled out slow spinning fans, and he always leaves the power switch on the psu to on position. I asked him this because my enermax will not power on without keeping the psu switch always on. Thanks 4 any tech support good friends!:toast:

Well I would recommend checking that no connections have come loose, but the most likely culprit for me from hearing that description could be that the hard drive is taking too long to spin up - although I would have expected this to bring up a message rather than rebooting. Try running some SMART tests on the drive (speed fan lets you do this as well as a few other applications) and see what results you get.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
also take a look at the capacitors around the processor for bulging/leakage, while this is supposed to be quite a rare occurence i have had this happen to me a while back on a leadtek k7ncr18dpro2 (athlon xp board) and have seen it happen to 2 other people's computers i know. when it happened to my leadtek the thing still worked for a year or so after they started leaking but done the 3-4 power up attempts for the last 3 months before it died completely however, the hard drive thing does seem more likely

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
also take a look at the capacitors around the processor for bulging/leakage, while this is supposed to be quite a rare occurence i have had this happen to me a while back on a leadtek k7ncr18dpro2 (athlon xp board) and have seen it happen to 2 other people's computers i know. when it happened to my leadtek the thing still worked for a year or so after they started leaking but done the 3-4 power up attempts for the last 3 months before it died completely however, the hard drive thing does seem more likely

HDD SMART doesn't power down the system, it usually just locks the POST up at the title screen.

Causes for a quick shutdown could be inadequate PSU, leaky caps, or possibly overheating CPU.

Caps can be replaced by someone that knows how to solder them, but you def. need to be sure to get the same caps for any that are to be replaced, and don't cook em while soldering them back on.

I've saved a few mobos this way.. and wouldn't suprise me, if its an AXP/older P4 mobo. (infact, I have a pretty leaky cap mobo sitting right here :p )

xforce

Maybe the power button on the casing (if your friends using one in the first place) is faulty.
Encountered this before..

:banghead:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Or a fan that isn't spinning up due to binding. Such as a CPU fan, or a power supply fan.

Such was the case on my brothers HP machine, sometimes the CPU fan would come on, sometimes not.

GIGGLA

System Name PsychoTron
Processor Intel Q9450 @ 3.2
Motherboard Asus p5e (x38) @ 400 fsb Rampage Formula Bios
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro Antec 900 Case Fans
Memory 4gb G.Skill ddr2-1000
Video Card(s) MSI 280GTX @ 702/1404/1200
Storage 2X Seagate 500gb Raid-0 @7200rpm
Display(s) 24" Dell Widescreen LCD 1920x1200 5ms
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Onboard Supreme FX 2
Power Supply 750 watt pc power & cooling Crossfire edition
Software Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit
Thank you all for your time and suggestions here, they are very good opinions. You guys that are speaking of bulging or leaky caps I have a question myself about this, the boards with leaky caps-would you know if these boards were used in lengthy burn-in sessions to burn-in a cpu? It makes me wonder if this could be a cause of that because the electrical system is at a maximum for it's cpu and/or voltage tolerance.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Thank you all for your time and suggestions here, they are very good opinions. You guys that are speaking of bulging or leaky caps I have a question myself about this, the boards with leaky caps-would you know if these boards were used in lengthy burn-in sessions to burn-in a cpu? It makes me wonder if this could be a cause of that because the electrical system is at a maximum for it's cpu and/or voltage tolerance.

Bulging caps are caused by breaking the temperature threshold and boiling the inside materials (Usually well over 110C. if your case is this hot, your CPU is dead first), or defective workmanship.

Or just old and died.

BlueOnyx

Finally

I have been having this exact same problem ALL DAMN YEAR, except in a more extreme sense.

I finished assembling what was to be my dream-rig about year ago

X2 4400+
2 GIG CORSAIR 3500DLL
ASUS AN32 SLI
2X WD 200 GIG in RAID
and a 7800 GT which was to stand in untill release of G80 *which is now*

but the one componant which i have been suss on is the PSU which is rated at 400watts.
It is a SilentX IXtrema , it was not a cheap PSU by any means, as it was *apparently* the quietest available on the market.....
but take my word for it, SilentX are overpriced !.

Anyway i have not been able to afford a PSU , as i am still paying this bloody rig off on CCard.

This has caused nothing short of hell for me over the last year, this rig has been stable as a AHDD suffering African tree monkey on crack.

Now this is how i power up my rig, should it be turnt-off *which is rarely lately as you would guess*

PRESS... "BRRRRR" SHUT OFF
PRESS BRRRRRR" SHUT OFF
PRESS BRRRRRR SHUT OFF
PRESS BRRRRRRRRRRRRR SHUT OFF
PRESS BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SHUT OFF
PRESS BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHUT OFF
PRESS BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *POST* *STALL* SHUT OFF
PRESS BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *POST* WINDOWS LOADING SHUT OFF
PRESS BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *POST* WINDOWS LOADING SHUT OFF
PRESS BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *POST* WINDOWS LOADING...
BOOT UP...........

and realistically, extend that cycle above by about 3X.

and then from there........odddly FKing enough.......... everything is FKING ROSEY. :mad: :mad: :mad:

This has been seriously pissing me off *lol im getting angry just writing about it*

Anyway, i heard some rubbish about the AN32 MB"s having compatibity issues with certain ANTEC PSU's, so i wonder if it is the same with the SILENTX PSU which ive been using..

I just pray, when i do actually install a 600WATT PSU, that this shit ceases........

Processor Core i7-950 Bloomfield
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Venomous X
Memory 6GB G-Skill Ripjaws
Video Card(s) EVGA nVidia GTX480
Storage OCZ RevoDrive PCI SSD, 2 WD-1002FAEX in BTRFS RAID
Display(s) NEC Multisync 2490WUXi
Case Corsair Graphite 600T
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 8-channel HDA
Power Supply Corsair HX-850
Software aptosid Linux, Win 7 on VMWare Player 4
I just had pretty much the same problem on a new box I built, except mine never got to the part where it actually powered up. Just a little spin of the fans and it would die. I returned the 500W power supply (Antec SmartPower 2) and replaced it with a 650W power supply (Antec TruePower Trio) and everything works perfectly. So I would advise you to be very suspicious of the PS.