• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC wont boot after lock up, MB led is on!

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
One other thing you should keep in mind is that if you are testing potentially failed hardware in another computer, you are running a little risk. If a component in the failed system smoked the mobo, it is quite possible it could take out the mobo in the system you are trying to test it on.

It's very rare, but I've seen it happen.

On the upside, it give you an excuse to get new hardware for the second system too :D

drdroopy

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (NewCastle) Socket 754
Motherboard Asus k8v-x Se, ver 2.0
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Memory 1024 DDR 333
Video Card(s) Nvidia Ge-force 6600 512mb (agp)
Storage 200gig IDE
Display(s) Dell 20" lcd
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) SB audigy pro
Power Supply APEVIA ATX-AS500W-YL ATX 500W Power Supply
Software Windows XP pro
well guys you are not going to beleive this when i tell you but apparently the power button is broken, i took the face place connection from a spare somputer and hooked them up, hit the power and BINGO worked, crazy how it can be the simplest things, thank you all again for your help, still think ima get that new hardware tho =)

Namslas90

Sounds like the mobo is failing the "power-on" test. Check all connections, carefully and try again.

EDIT
Awsome, good job on the troubleshooting.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
well guys you are not going to beleive this when i tell you but apparently the power button is broken, i took the face place connection from a spare somputer and hooked them up, hit the power and BINGO worked, crazy how it can be the simplest things, thank you all again for your help, still think ima get that new hardware tho =)

Good job, Droop. :toast:
I would not have suspected that either since it just happened to fail at the same time as a crash.

ex_reven

Nice to see you discover the solution. :toast:

J-Man

System Name Watercooled beast
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.02GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula X48
Cooling Swiftech Apogee GTZ, Black Ice GTX Xtreme 480, EK 250 Rev 2, EK 4870 X2, MCP655, 1/2" Tygon Tubing
Memory 4GB DDR2 OCZ @ 1066MHz 2.1V
Video Card(s) HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 800 on core, 1000 on memory (overclocked in CCC)
Storage 500GB Maxtor Diamondmax 22 SATA II 32MB Cache
Display(s) Samsung 24" SM245B
Case SilverStone TJ07 black/windowed version
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty + Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Modular
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Retail
Faulty motherboard?