• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC won't post with GPU installed

Eedat

So I got a brand new pre-built that is having some issues. Out of the box I was getting no signal to my monitor. All the LEDs and fans in the system turn on (including the ones on the GPU). Tried both HDMI and DP with no luck. Noticed a solid white led lit up on the MB marked VGA. Uninstalled the GPU and moved the HDMI over to my MB and it boots into Windows perfectly fine on the integrated graphics. I tried updating the bios but no luck. Have tried reseating the GPU multiple times with no luck. Have tried various configurations of my RAM with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to try next? I'm assuming the system was tested before it was sent to me earlier this week

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So I got a brand new pre-built that is having some issues.
Send it back - now, before you do something to void the warranty.
I'm assuming the system was tested before it was sent to me earlier this week
I would never assume that. You didn't tell us the brand, but no way the big makers, who produce millions every year, test them all. That takes too much time and money. It costs them less to just deal with the occasional failure.

Eedat

Wait is this pin on the right the issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_135746.jpg
    IMG_20210418_135746.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 787
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
No. That's not right. And sadly, you probably will be blamed for it since there is no reason you should have removed that component while still under warranty. :(

No.

But these may.
Make sure the 6- and/or 8-pins for power delivery are plugged in.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 459
System Name The Sparing-No-Expense Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
Memory 32GB: 2x16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3600MHz C18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti Founder's Edition
Storage 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) AOC C24G1 144Hz 24" 1080p Monitor
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Power Supply Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU (SS-650KM3)
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
What pin?
Ah got it. If you're talking about the rightmost "golden finger" that is shorter than the others then I don't think it makes a difference.

Make sure the 6- and/or 8-pins for power delivery are plugged in.
Given that it was a prebuilt, what are the chances they forgot to plug in BOTH those connectors? Usually the PC boots with one of the power connectors in, but runs into power limits.

System Name The Sparing-No-Expense Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
Memory 32GB: 2x16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3600MHz C18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti Founder's Edition
Storage 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) AOC C24G1 144Hz 24" 1080p Monitor
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Power Supply Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU (SS-650KM3)
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
Unfortunately it's pretty hard to help you further at this point :( Try using the same GPU in another PC you own.
You said the VGA light lit up, so that's a good sign.
Also try another PCIe slot if that's an option.

System Name maipc
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz / 1.16v
Motherboard Asus vii hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Hyperx fury 1866 / CL10
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8GB
Storage 1TB 860EVO + 1TB 860EVO + 4TB WD Red + 4TB WD Red
Display(s) Asus VG259QM (1080p IPS 240Hz)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 6
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-650
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE
Software Win 10 64bit
System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
No. That's not right. And sadly, you probably will be blamed for it since there is no reason you should have removed that component while still under warranty. :(

Under the law here in the States a manufacture can not legally void your warranty because you worked on it, that's settled law by SCOTUS just fyi. They have to prove that what you did to it caused damage outside of normal wear and tear.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Wait is this pin on the right the issue?
That's normal; they are built that way so that some things connect after others.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
No activity at all from GPU? Lights/leds/fans all dead?

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Probably not the following: I had a similar problem, it was a weak power supply that couldn't handle the extra load; in my case the supply was old and one capacitor had failed.

You could try reducing the load by disconnecting hard drives etc, just to see if you get the BIOS screen.

Last edited:
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
what card and what motherboard/cpu?

Eedat

Probably not the following: I had a similar problem, it was a weak power supply that couldn't handle the extra load; in my case the supply was old and one capacitor had failed.

You could try reducing the load by disconnecting hard drives etc, just to see if you get the BIOS screen.
That would be a shame. It's a brand new 850W 80+ Gold PSU. Currently the only storage in the machine is a single 1TB gen 3 NVMe drive. I have another 2TB Adata sx8200 pro I was going to throw into it but haven't yet

what card and what motherboard/cpu?

It's an MSI 3080 Triple X Gaming and the MB is an MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk WiFi. CPU is a 10900k and the PSU is an 850W 80+ Gold Thermaltake

My idea: Heavy video cards can be weighted down so much they make a poor connection in the slot. Ensure that the card is level, parallel horizontally as it should be. If it is sagging, use zip ties or long twist ties to lasso the card around something above it, and adjust to make it horizontal.

Eedat

My idea: Heavy video cards can be weighted down so much they make a poor connection in the slot. Ensure that the card is level, parallel horizontally as it should be. If it is sagging, use zip ties or long twist ties to lasso the card around something above it, and adjust to make it horizontal.
Alright I'll give that a try when I'm home in a few hours. It is a massive card so it's worth a shot

Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard x570 Extreme 4
Cooling Deepcool AK620 Digital
Memory 2x16 Crucial 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) 4070 SUPER FE
Storage 500 GB WD SN750 / 870 Evo 500 GB / Kingston 480 GB SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34 aw3418dw / ROG Swift pg27q
Case Corsair 3000D
Power Supply Seasonic V3 1000w
Mouse Model O
Keyboard GMMK Pro w/ SP Magic Girls
Software WIndows 10 Pro
Have you tried the other 16x slot?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Under the law here in the States a manufacture can not legally void your warranty because you worked on it
NO!!! That is a blanket statement and like all blanket statements, it is wrong.

I have done much research on this - to include taking business law classes before I started my own custom PC and IT consulting business. I needed to learn my rights as a business owner.

The consumer is allowed to do "routine" maintenance tasks - such as changing the oil and filters, rotating tires and such on your car without voiding the warranty. But if you use the wrong oil, or strip the drain plug threads, or fail to tighten the filter properly, repairs will not be covered by the warranty. And for the record, if you do all your own oil changes, keep your receipts so you can prove you did the necessary routine maintenance as required by the maintenance schedule.

In terms of computers - this came about from those little "Void if seal broken" stickers. In some cases, they are legal, in other cases they are not.

We, as consumers, are allowed to add RAM to our computers. Or a PCIe expansion card or extra drives. Therefore, we can open the PC case and not void the warranty (see *EXCEPTION below). But if we damage the RAM or slot or something else inside through mishandling, that is not covered.

The key is whether or not there are "user serviceable parts" inside, or not.

There are no "user serviceable parts" inside a PC power supply, for example. Therefore, those "Void if seal broken" stickers on power supplies are legit and you do void the warranty if you break that seal.

*EXCEPTION: A PC maker can legitimately void the warranty if you open the PC case "IF" they provide all maintenance (including "elective" tasks - like adding RAM, cleaning out dust bunnies, etc.) 100% free of charge during the warranty period.

In the case of the OP and his computer in this thread, he is troubleshooting a broken computer while it is still under warranty. That is NOT routine maintenance and therefore, there is a risk of voiding the warranty.

@Eedat - In looking at your image again, I don't see any damage. When I first looked at it, I thought you were talking about the slot, which initially to my tired eyes, looked like the contact metal had pealed off. I was wrong. Sorry if I caused confusion there. If you meant the right most contact that does not go down to a point, that is fine.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes

JeffF

I read the post yet haven't seen anywhere you state what GPU you have in your system? Maybe I missed it. Yet does your GPU have a switch for dual Bios? If so try switching to the other Bios by flipping the switch. I know like my GPU I have a Duel Bios: standard Gaming Bios and Mining Bios.

Eedat

I read the post yet haven't seen anywhere you state what GPU you have in your system? Maybe I missed it. Yet does your GPU have a switch for dual Bios? If so try switching to the other Bios by flipping the switch. I know like my GPU I have a Duel Bios: standard Gaming Bios and Mining Bios.
It's an MSI 3080 Trio X Gaming

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
NO!!! That is a blanket statement and like all blanket statements, it is wrong.

I have done much research on this - to include taking business law classes before I started my own custom PC and IT consulting business. I needed to learn my rights as a business owner.

The consumer is allowed to do "routine" maintenance tasks - such as changing the oil and filters, rotating tires and such on your car without voiding the warranty. But if you use the wrong oil, or strip the drain plug threads, or fail to tighten the filter properly, repairs will not be covered by the warranty. And for the record, if you do all your own oil changes, keep your receipts so you can prove you did the necessary routine maintenance as required by the maintenance schedule.

In terms of computers - this came about from those little "Void if seal broken" stickers. In some cases, they are legal, in other cases they are not.

We, as consumers, are allowed to add RAM to our computers. Or a PCIe expansion card or extra drives. Therefore, we can open the PC case and not void the warranty (see *EXCEPTION below). But if we damage the RAM or slot or something else inside through mishandling, that is not covered.

The key is whether or not there are "user serviceable parts" inside, or not.

There are no "user serviceable parts" inside a PC power supply, for example. Therefore, those "Void if seal broken" stickers on power supplies are legit and you do void the warranty if you break that seal.

*EXCEPTION: A PC maker can legitimately void the warranty if you open the PC case "IF" they provide all maintenance (including "elective" tasks - like adding RAM, cleaning out dust bunnies, etc.) 100% free of charge during the warranty period.

In the case of the OP and his computer in this thread, he is troubleshooting a broken computer while it is still under warranty. That is NOT routine maintenance and therefore, there is a risk of voiding the warranty.

@Eedat - In looking at your image again, I don't see any damage. When I first looked at it, I thought you were talking about the slot, which initially to my tired eyes, looked like the contact metal had pealed off. I was wrong. Sorry if I caused confusion there. If you meant the right most contact that does not go down to a point, that is fine.

I work on warranty systems as part of my job as a sys admin, the really screw ball ones i sometimes take a look at, and no you are allowed to legally troubleshoot without voiding the warranty, also user serviceable depends, no you won't void your PSU warranty if its repaired correctly. If you have a filter cap blow and it is replaced with an exact replacement it would be illegal to void the warranty, also no manufacture offers free warranty service for all tasks, and as you said it has to be an all or nothing sort of deal. Also they'd have him do this kind of troubleshooting before doing anything else, but more often than not unless your paying for the upgraded warranty beyond baseline they require you to foot the return shipping bill and will reimburse you if its a factory defect that caused the issue, so no its not free.