• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Performance per watt changes

I've missed changes to this metric.

You now have "Energy Efficiency" which is just one for all resolutions while in the past you had one for each resolution.

What happened to it? Is there a way to get the old per-resolution metrics back?

@W1zzard

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
The old metric was power draw in Metro Last Light at one resolution vs average gaming performance for all my game tests in three resolutions

This is problematic where cards are CPU limited, especially at lower res. and 6900 XT is much more CPU limited than 3090 for example, which skews the results even more. You can find examples of this in older reviews.

Ideally the test would have been average power draw in every single game per resolution, but that's difficult to record, and analyze.

So now I'm measuring power draw and FPS in Cyberpunk 1440p, which isn't CPU limited on any card, every vendor has optimized drivers, and it reduces the complexity from 3 charts to 1, without losing much relevant information

The old metric was power draw in Metro Last Light at one resolution vs average gaming performance for all my game tests in three resolutions

This is problematic where cards are CPU limited, especially at lower res. and 6900 XT is much more CPU limited than 3090 for example, which skews the results even more. You can find examples of this in older reviews.

Ideally the test would have been average power draw in every single game per resolution, but that's difficult to record, and analyze.

So now I'm measuring power draw and FPS in Cyberpunk 1440p, which isn't CPU limited on any card, every vendor has optimized drivers, and it reduces the complexity from 3 charts to 1, without losing much relevant information
This is worth adding to all your new reviews or you could simply add this info to the picture, e.g. Cyberpunk v1.1 at 1440p.

Since the game is not CPU bounded, it still would be great if you could provide the metrics for all three resolutions if possible.

Thank you!

@W1zzard