• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Phanteks Evolv aims to transform what a mATX chassis should be capable of. Catering to the liquid-cooling crowd without compromising on air-cooling capability, the Evolv comes with the great feature set we have come to expect from Phanteks - all while combining quality with an enticing price.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I really like this case. Might be time to "downsize"...

beardofnails

I bought one and it is awful. Building inside the case is really easy and cable routing is great, but the build quality of the case is just flat out bad. My case has several loose rivets, the window is cloudy/wavy/milky/foggy/anything-but-clear. I bent the rear of the case inward when swapping out the factory installed fan just by tightening the screws. Both doors came with gouges in the front facing edges. The dust filters were torn in various places. The drive cage has to be completely removed if you want to install dual 140mm fans up front, as the screws that mount the fan bottom out on the side of the drive cage by about an inch. The drive cage itself is the same paper-thin steel as the rest of the chassis frame, and it sounds like a diesel engine when my hard drive is reading or writing from the complete lack of any vibration dampening. The top radiator/fan mounting points are also so thin that they sag from the weight of the fans, not a rad, just fans. Super disappointed in the complete lack of QC on this so-called premium product. I'll stick with fractal and silverstone for my high end builds.

I think the worst thing is all the rave reviews that this case is getting on all the review sites. It's as if they only built 10 good ones for the press, and the rest were outsourced to a terrible factory in china. If you go to the phanteks forums you'll see numerous posts regaurding the phanteks qc issues on ALL of their cases.

Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I bought one and it is awful. Building inside the case is really easy and cable routing is great, but the build quality of the case is just flat out bad. My case has several loose rivets, the window is cloudy/wavy/milky/foggy/anything-but-clear. I bent the rear of the case inward when swapping out the factory installed fan just by tightening the screws. Both doors came with gouges in the front facing edges. The dust filters were torn in various places. The drive cage has to be completely removed if you want to install dual 140mm fans up front, as the screws that mount the fan bottom out on the side of the drive cage by about an inch. The drive cage itself is the same paper-thin steel as the rest of the chassis frame, and it sounds like a diesel engine when my hard drive is reading or writing from the complete lack of any vibration dampening. The top radiator/fan mounting points are also so thin that they sag from the weight of the fans, not a rad, just fans. Super disappointed in the complete lack of QC on this so-called premium product. I'll stick with fractal and silverstone for my high end builds.

I think the worst thing is all the rave reviews that this case is getting on all the review sites. It's as if they only built 10 good ones for the press, and the rest were outsourced to a terrible factory in china. If you go to the phanteks forums you'll see numerous posts regaurding the phanteks qc issues on ALL of their cases.
Some reviews I read claimed the case is "built like a tank", "the best-built case I ever reviewed". Thanks for your eye-opening review - I was seriously going to order one until I saw this. The concept is great, and the thick aluminum panels look very solid, but cheaping out with paper-thin steel on the chassis structure is a deal-killer for me. It would have cost maybe 5 bucks more to use heavier gauge steel. I guess the bean-counters are to blame, engineers know better than to build a tank out of beer cans. The bad QC is inexcusable for a "premium" case, dented panels and scratched windows are the province of $30 cases, not $150 "premium" cases...

My experience was overall positive when I built this case. I had a similar/very different experience from beardofnails. I rearranged some of your quotes so I could easily show the similarities and differences.

I bought one and it is awful. Building inside the case is really easy and cable routing is great, but the build quality of the case is just flat out bad. My case has several loose rivets, the window is cloudy/wavy/milky/foggy/anything-but-clear....

...Both doors came with gouges in the front facing edges....

... The dust filters were torn in various places...

Yeesh. Yeah, that is bad though I'm happy to say I didn't have those issues. I did have a slight chip in the case just below where the power supply sits, which I was disappointed in but happy it wasn't elsewhere. I also did have some small tears in the front filter like you, but mine where along where the filter meets the plastic. I figured if it bothered me I could purchase some of this and fix it myself: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...rial_500mm_x_400mm_x_3mm.html?tl=g47c223s1706

*Edit* Oh I forgot to mention that while my case did not come with loose rivets the screws that hold the hinges for the side panels were a loose, which made a rattling noise whenever I opened the doors. I fixed that after tightening the screws, though.

Still, I thought myself that this was pretty bad for a $130 product.

I bent the rear of the case inward when swapping out the factory installed fan just by tightening the screws....The drive cage has to be completely removed if you want to install dual 140mm fans up front, as the screws that mount the fan bottom out on the side of the drive cage by about an inch. The drive cage itself is the same paper-thin steel as the rest of the chassis frame, and it sounds like a diesel engine when my hard drive is reading or writing from the complete lack of any vibration dampening. The top radiator/fan mounting points are also so thin that they sag from the weight of the fans, not a rad, just fans.

This is where my experience was very different. I'm not sure how there would be such a discrepancy but my case is very strong. I experienced no bending when tightening fan screws and, in regards to the top fan mounts it maintained it's shape even when I lifted the whole case up by the middle dividing bar (see this picture: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Phanteks/Enthoo_Evolv/images/casetopoff.jpg ). Without anything installed, though.

As for the hard drive noise, yes I can hear my hard drive but it sounds more like an echo than anything else. Anyway, I didn't feel like there was more or less noise from my previous case. If I remember, I'll open up the case and check it out. There are some anti-vibration grips on my hard drive cages. Hard drive noise never bothered me though, so I can't really comment on their efficacy. Overall though I find the case to be pretty good at filtering noise.

You do not need to remove the drive cage to install dual 140mm up front -- at least I didn't. My only issue with this was that they did not send me enough of the long screws to install dual 140mm fans. Perhaps this was your issue as well? At any rate, I contacted phanteks and they sent more screws for me in the mail and I received them a couple of days after contacting them.

Overall though, I'm really happy with the case.

Last edited:

beardofnails

I'm guessing I just got a sour apple, but after shelling out $140 and getting something shoddy I was pretty irate. I will still love phanteks as a company as this is my first bad experience with them. Been using their fans and cpu coolers for a couple years now in my builds and customer builds and they've been phantastic.

Processor Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Full custom CPU and GPU loop
Memory 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) SLI EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature+
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Crucial M4 512GB SSD
Display(s) 2 x Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard SupremeFX III
Power Supply Corsair AX750
I'm guessing I just got a sour apple, but after shelling out $140 and getting something shoddy I was pretty irate. I will still love phanteks as a company as this is my first bad experience with them. Been using their fans and cpu coolers for a couple years now in my builds and customer builds and they've been phantastic.

How is it that you didn't return the case? $140 is a good chunk of money to wind up with a defective item.

beardofnails

How is it that you didn't return the case? $140 is a good chunk of money to wind up with a defective item.

Indeed. I am torn between returning it and having to wait for another chassis or just using it until I can get something else. It hurts to be without my precious!