• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Picture header repair... Help please!!

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Hi everyone... I'm indeed of some help and or advice....

I've a load of picture files (JPG I think mostly, might be some others in there....) that have a problem when loading which is can't find the header.. I normally use IrfanView to view my pictures and it's not showing any of these at all.. I deleted a load of files that I didn't think I needed from a backup drive, then realised, well it was too late then.. More so for me these where of my daughter when she was little, so if I can find a way to repair the files, I'd do whatever I can to do that :)

The question therefore is, does anyone have a program that they use for repairing picture files at all?? I've tried a few of these 'we repair any files.com' programs but they all have been less than helpful and completely useless.. I'll grab a list of them when I next get on my main PC as that's were the files are stored...

Many thanks in advance to anyone who replies with suggestions or advice :)

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
By the sound of it you seem to have deleted jpg files? I find it srange if a picture contains my files usually it it a jpeg itself or png.

By the way what programme you use and where you delete the file from? Is it an ssd or hdd? If it is an ssd your chances of recovery would be less as many programmes are design to recover from hdd where deleted items is not exactly deleted but just "unlisted" with the files ready to be overwritten with new data. SSD don't work that way.

I did have luck recovering music and pictures by using pirifoam Recuva here during the time recovering diles from a laptop hdd when there is an error.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I did delete them and then managed to get them back via GetDataBack which has managed to find each and every file (nothing was overwritten before I did the scan) so as before the files still used to work. I have tried another file recovery program which has found the files and I can see them but the names are a mess of letters and numbers, so kinda useless but I have them.

It's a hard drive that I deleted from which I ran to another drive which recovered the data...

I'll have a look at the program, does it need registration or anything or is there a limit of how much I can recover?

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
maybe this can help if you don't end up getting viewable recoveries.
Exif Jpeg header manipulation tool
http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

Things jhead can modify in an exif jpeg file
  • Up-right images according to rotation tag using jpegtran
  • Set or relative adjust internal exif timestamps
  • Fix date / time offsets in large batches of images
  • Re-name or date stamp files according to exif timestamp
  • Transfer exif headers between images
  • Replace thumbnails inside Exif headers
  • Edit jpeg comments (but not the Exif comments)
  • Delete exif or comment sections from jpeg images
  • Create new minimal exif header containing date and thumbnail

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Thanks for that :) If I get a bit of time alone I'll give it a go and report back :)

I'm just trying the Exif tool you mentioned @DRDNA but I think I'm not having much luck with it...

1519337972641.png

1519337950751.png

I've had running Recuva for the past 5 hours or more but that is still scanning.. Not surprised really if it's found over 1/2 million files.. But I'll leave it running overnight, at least it will give me a few more points for my cancer crunching lol
Have you used the jHead program before? :)