1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Piranha vs Fatal1ty

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bokteelo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't decide between the Razer Piranha and the Creative Fatal1ty (non-USB version).

I look for comfort and mic clarity in headsets. I'm in no way an audiophile so I can care less how the bass or treble sounds. As long as it works, it's comfortable, and has a CLEAR mic then I want it.

I've already got the Lycosa, Deathadder, and Qck. (Yes, I am a Razer fan. The thought of paying $30 for a mouse pad was quite silly to me so I chose to go with the cheaper $10 Steelseries Qck.)

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    -1 for the piranha

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aw why, I've had mine since 2006 and they still work awesome. Awesome headset from my experience.

4. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    lack of support from the company can ruin anyone's opinion

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've yet to deal with Creative's customer support so I can't factor that in. (I've heard goods and bads about both.)

6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Meh Piranha are OK at best. They squeeze the hell out of your head for one. My mute switch then went bad and rendered the headset useless for online chat. Got them as a gift. No receipt, no RMA period. Although it isn't Razers fault totally all this happened, just not the best thing on the market for your dollar IMHO.

Honestly, on the side of fatal1ty branded things....they are usually hyped up mediocre parts at best to sell due to the name recognition.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a pretty big noggin... that's why I asked. I needed a comfortable set of headphones in the 40-60 range. I can't see myself spending more than that on a headset.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  8. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    sound quality from piranhas are great I even compared them to the clarity of my razer barracudas, but my mic broke....and the warranty expired....not saying it was bad or anything it was sorta my fault about the warranty, not the mic that shit broke hardcore hehe

I tried my friends fatality headset(not usb) sound quality not as good as the piranhas I was using a x-fi xtrememusic soundcard incase your wondering, the mic quality was great on both headsets, loved them both I liked the comfort on the piranhas and the fatality hs kept slipping off my head and it was annoying I kept having to adjust, durability they both feel like crap,lol, but I think the piranhas are more sturdy

my vote towards the piranhas, if the mic problem didnt bother you then you can get it if the mic breaks you can always return it, they arent as flimsy as the barracudas,lol

9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IF you have a larger head deffinately no Piranhas in your future. I have a larger dome than most, and they squished my ears, and long term use was made almost painful.

I ended up going with a set of $20 sony headphones, and a $20 logitech USB boom mic.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Plantronics Gamecom 367 FTW

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, another headset I considered. I actually looked into 3, the two I've stated and the 367.

How do they feel? Are they good for big heads? And what about the mic quality?

Edit: I was on Newegg and saw Shadow's review!

12. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    there comfy as hell,get out your sewing tape measure,measure your dome and i can try to help you

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fatal1ty for sure

14. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    on the 367 from side to side you have about 8 inches of room fully extended and from your ears to the top of the headset you get 6 inches of space

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Do yourself a favor and get the Steelseries 5H V2, non-USB version.

I own/owned all the headsets mentioned in this thread and these are EASILY the best ones.

16. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
  17. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
  18. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    If I may offer my opinion, considering your price range you could up it by just a small amount and get the Razer Carcharias which so far has proven to me to be an unbelievable value. They are $79 (and can be had at Best Buy if you want to avoid shipping charges) are AMAZINGLY comfortable and the sound quality is out of this world.

I know it's a little higher than you were planning to spend, but I think it's more than worth it. The build quality is great as well so I imagine they will last a very long time indeed.

Kei

19. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I think you mean noggin. Lol.

20. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    About 24 inches diameter on my forhead! (That's already a tight fit.)

I think you're right. I probably got the word confused, but it's definitely not a typo!

21. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    zalman i say!!! take a look at em, reviews reviews!!!

22. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    my heads about 22 inches and i still have about 4 inches on both sides and 4 or 5 on top

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm... the 367 will save me a huge chunk of money.

I don't have a sound card and don't plan on getting one for my new build, so I'm not sure if 5.1 or 7.1 headphones will do me any good.

Like I said, I need heatsets. Not headphones.

I took a quick look at the Zalman and 5H v2. The 5H v2 is a bit out of my price range, and the Zalman does not have a mic!

I'm also taking a look at the Steelseries Siberia. The mic is a clip-on though, so I'm not thrilled.

I'm taking into consideration the Carcharias, but the price is pretty high up there. I'll keep an eye out, but it's probably one of the very last I'll choose.

I might just get the $20 USB mic from Logitech. I originally wanted it along with an average headset, but I decided against it.

Kei says thanks.
  24. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    Get these because Basshunter uses them. :p

25. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    This the Siberia headset I was considering. They look a little funky and the mic is a clip-on. Not thrilled about that, but not a deal breaker.

I've actually narrowed it down to the Piranha and Gamecom 367. I basically screwed Fatal1ty all together because of the ridiculous removable mic. I'm honestly not sure how many replugs that thing will last. I know the Piranha might be a little tight on me since I have a huge head, and I'm aware that the Gamecom 367 might start hurting after a little while due to it's size/weight.

AthlonX2 mentioned that he can wear it for hours at a time without the slightest bit of pain, so I'm leaning slightly towards the Gamecom. (Really catchy price tag at under $40.) At the same time though, a Razer fan on Youtube known as chanaman12345 posted a video review saying that he prefers the Piranha over the Barracuda, that he wears glasses and won't feel any discomfort wearing the Piranha for extended periods of time.