• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PL2 Errors at low power suddenly??

Hi i am suddenly getting power throttled down to my base 2.2 ghz speed even though my settings are fine and havent changed.

I was playing around with notebook fan control but have since rebooted my machine (shutdown, wait 10 min and restart)

I can't figure out why im getting power throttled.

If anyone can help that would be great thanks

Attachments

• TS04 2020-11-26 163739.png
    TS04 2020-11-26 163739.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 55
  • TS03 2020-11-26 163739.png
    TS03 2020-11-26 163739.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 64
  • TS02 2020-11-26 163739.png
    TS02 2020-11-26 163739.png
    269.9 KB · Views: 58
  • TS01 2020-11-26 163739.png
    TS01 2020-11-26 163739.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 2020-11-26.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 70
EDIT: Seems for some reason Throttlestop was getting confused or whatever
What i did was disable Throttlestop from task scheduler.
Shutdown and restarted the machine.
Turbo boost was suddenly available
Launch Throttlestop. Everything still works
Re Enable Throttle stop in task scheduler
Shutdown and restart machine
Throttlestop auto launches.
Turbo boost still available

So maybe allowing the machine to start up without Throttlestop once cleared up some memory registers or something? I dunno im not that tech savvy.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Your ThrottleStop settings show that you are limiting your 45W 8750H to 35W. The log file shows that one of your profiles must have Disable Turbo checked because the CPU is being limited to the base 22 multiplier which is just over half of its rated speed. Your settings also show that your AC Profile, your battery profile and your low battery profile are all set to switch to profile 4. I cannot understand why you would want to do this.

It would be best to get to know the program first before using some of the advanced features. You have setup ThrottleStop to kill your laptop's performance. I hope that was your goal.

Your ThrottleStop settings show that you are limiting your 45W 8750H to 35W. The log file shows that one of your profiles must have Disable Turbo checked because the CPU is being limited to the base 22 multiplier which is just over half of its rated speed. Your settings also show that your AC Profile, your battery profile and your low battery profile are all set to switch to profile 4. I cannot understand why you would want to do this.

It would be best to get to know the program first before using some of the advanced features. You have setup ThrottleStop to kill your laptop's performance. I hope that was your goal.
Hi @unclewebb i fixed the issue. Some kind of conflict.

With regards to my AC/Battery/Low power profile i set all to profile 4 which is a default small undervolt (-0.125/-0.125mv with EPP 208). I set it this way because i know its incredibly stable and when my laptop boots up this is my work setup . I haven't disabled turbo anywhere in any throttlestop setting.

When i game i switch to a performance profile that pushes the undervolt further (core -0.170mv, cache -0.125mv EPP 94). Since i am using task scheduler i like throttlestop to start with a profile that i know is 100% stable.
For work i basically remote into my office PC so my laptop is barely doing any work so i like to use a lower power profile.

unclewebb

I haven't disabled turbo anywhere
A large value for Speed Shift EPP can also cause turbo boost to be disabled. That is probably what I was seeing.

A lot of people like to slow their CPUs down thinking that it will lower power consumption. When a CPU has a task to perform and you force it to run slowly, it is less efficient and might not save any power at all.

Here is an interesting comparison. Huge difference in CPU speed and CPU voltage but zero difference in temperature or power consumption.

Why is that? When a core is idle it automatically enters the low power C7 state where it is sitting at 0 MHz and 0 volts for up to 99% of the time. Slowing an active CPU core down makes very little difference if the majority of cores are sitting idle in core C7. Looking at C state activity is the best way to improve a laptop. Make sure the CPU cores are spending lots of idle time in core C7.

ahh that is very interesting @unclewebb . I will change my EPP to 128 for my basic work from home default.

How do i get to see that C7 window. The main window in throttlestop shows c0%

Thanks very much.

unclewebb

How do i get to see that C7 window.
Click on the button to the right of the BCLK button to open the C States window. The button I am talking about shows C10 in your screenshot.

The C states data can be useful information when trying to track down background tasks that have gone rogue.