1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

planning to protest against Nvidia and ATI near their building

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Dann23, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's actually because of people like me, that the PC gaming and companies like nVidia and ATi are still going. Or else they would have all quit with no profits.

Read slyfox2151's post. It should give you an idea why the prices are as they are.

2. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Seriously? You've got to be kidding. Graphics card prices are more than reasonable these days considering the value of the US dollar has been dropping.

If you should be protesting about anyone's prices, it should be Intel's. $1,000 for the 980X, last I checked. I think that's a tad bit overpriced. But maybe that's just me. :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Dann23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to a survey that i saw, actually high end users are the ones who are denting the gaming industry. because they are just mindlessly and blindly buy a hardware. thats just wrong and hurt us all.

its not piracy killing the pc gaming, its the actions of HIGH END users. period.

I am all for low end and mainstream hardware. actually to be honest i am an activist in this area.

it would be good if there was never a High end hardware. because they are just hurting the industry.

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I thought this thread was gonna be interesting, and it is:laugh: lol but seriously man, dont bother protesting, it wont do a thing, cause there is no point, the prices arent bad really, well to me they arent, I guess you must be struggling a bit, how much is a HD5850 down in kiwi land? :eek: they range from $349 to $419 AUD here, there is a HD5870 for around $469 which is a great price:toast: heres a link....

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_933&products_id=12724

Im selling my 2 HD5870's off, I could help you out if ya want, i would give u a good deal.

5. Dann23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a 5850 costs nearly $500 in here.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Thats NZ currency Im assuming? if so, Im selling my HD5870 for around $350 AUD, its only a month old:toast: performs great too

7. Dann23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah. we have some shitty pricing in here man. as bad and expensive as in a third world country.
    dont know why.

8. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. A GTX 480 for example goes at about $500-600. Do you think you can build a GTX 480 for about $50? It takes atleast a minimum of $350-400 and a lot of time to make one. You expect them to sell it for about $100?

High end users are what make the gaming industry better. Or else do you think nVidia would have come up with the 4xx series if everyone was still using 8600GTs? Do you think they would have invented Direct X 11 if there was no demand for higher graphics in games and people were sticking only to low end cards?

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudeee! Grow up! :wtf:

9. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    That's only 348.254 USD.

That's not that much money. Since that's what most of them go for in US currency anyways.

digibucc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What, you expect them to lose money? Their margins are slim as it is, damn NVidia lost money with much of their last generation, of course if they lost money then they would go out of business so you would have less choice and therefore prices would go up, giving you another reason for a protest.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a 16 year old kid pissed off that his dad wouldnt buy him a 5850 for christmas.

While we're at it, why dont we lower CPU and ram prices... oh and i wont pay more than a dollar for a 40" HDTV.

If you cannot afford the products, then they're not aimed at you. You are not their target market... you're just being greedy and wanting things you cannot afford.

Conflict0s, KieX, Cold Storm and 3 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Dann23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ram and cpus are fine. its just the video cards man.

a 5770 is cheap but its too weak for new games. thats why i am looking to get a 5850.

13. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to high end tech you gotta pay. No ones going to give it for free or for insanely low prices as your expecting. $500 ain't bad. I was expecting about $800 NZ because your making a big deal outta this.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Alright buddy I'l explain why it costs so much to create a GPU.

First of all you need to understand that GPU's take several years to design by people who had to study them for 8+ years. ATi's 5xxx series was under development probably before the 3xxx series was released. Making a GPU is incredibly expensive in it's own as it requires an entire factory and its workers to work in a completely sterile clean room which is several times cleaner than a surgery 100% of the time. They have to purify silicon to pretty much 100% purity, cut the silicon into wafers then spend time printing the wafers using photolithography which takes time + expensive chemicals and if it goes wrong even by 1% its useless and they need to start again. They need to also test EVERY single chip produced and then grade it according to its ability. Also never mind they need to make a profit on every chip sold and then the partners who retail the card need to add motherboards and coolers and then make a profit in order to function = card costing more.

It is a completely unrealistic goal that you will force this company to lower prices to $120 for a 5970 which simply isn't economically viable. Also to blame high end users shows that you are jelous of their high end hardware that you cannot afford. It is publishers making games more orientated for consoles which will be the death of pc gaming not hardware enthusiasts. I'd like to point out that global economics, supply and demand will lower the prices accordingly. If you want something you can't afford that's tough shit you can't go to the company and whine they're making enough money and you deserve a graphics card for less.

Nick259, digibucc and Radical_Edward say thanks.
  15. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Uh, I don't know what world your from, but a 5770 runs new games just fine. Being as most "new" games are still freaking ports anyways...

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    this guy has to be trolling....................................................

dank1983man420 says thanks.
  17. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    so if you so proud about low end hardware, why do you protest about HIGH END hardware :confused:

btw is U2K with you guys ?

dank1983man420 says thanks.
  18. Dann23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, with just cause 2 and Metro 2033, a 5770 cant keep up with them. also for Crysis. a 5850 can max out crysis on very high settings i think?

19. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    5770 isn't designed to play them at highest settings. They're designed for people who want decent performance for a low amount of money.

digibucc and Radical_Edward say thanks.
  20. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1
    HD 5770 can play almost any game on very high settings except games like Crysis, Metro 2033. But i think thats obvious.
    Stop being jealous. It's not like we break money off trees. We work our asses off and earn cash and then enjoy high end hardware. We don't just sit around waiting for prices to drop to $100 or for money to fall from the sky.

P.S : I'm talking on behalf of everyone.

Conflict0s, KieX, digibucc and 2 others say thanks.
  21. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Oh god, the "cheap" card can't handle games at high settings. Guess what, it's the cheap card. Plus, you could also try playing it at lower res, instead of some huge ass monitor that costs more than a 5770.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    ok, I've tried helping him :toast: but this thread ain't going no where

23. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    LOL. If you dont have much cash, chances are, your system isnt top spec anyway. So why worry about putting an uber expensive GPU into a POS system?

New technology is always expensive, to begin with. If nVIDIA and ATi didnt make a decent profit they wouldnt bother creating new hardware.

My advice to you is this: Get a console ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i think this kid is brand spanking new to this stuff, and has never experienced anything but the current generation cards. he doesnt realise that every generation the cards get replaced with higher performance models, at the same price point.

Nothing gets cheaper - they just get REPLACED.

Radical_Edward says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Most of the guys on here work hard and play hard. So if they want to spend loads of cash on a GPU, good luck to them I say :)

digibucc says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU