• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plasma Flashlight Kills Bacteria

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
The full article is here at sciencemag.org

A group led by engineer Xinpei Lu at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China believes it has a device with none of these drawbacks [ed. see full article for previous drawbacks]. Powered by a normal 12-volt battery and operating in open air without a gas supply, the prototype, which they call a plasma flashlight, should be portable enough to take anywhere. "It generates the plasma even being disconnected from wall power, even using very low power," says group member Kostya Ostrikov of CSIRO Materials Science and Engineering in Lindfield, Australia.

The flashlight's battery is far too small to create a plasma on its own, so the researchers use a common electronic device known as a DC booster to step up the voltage to 10 kilovolts. One output of the booster is wired to the device's shell—or "grounded," in technical speak—while the other goes to an array of 12 fine, stainless steel needles that create a rapidly pulsing electrical discharge. The circuit has several "ballast" resistors that limit the discharge's current so that the flashlight is safe to touch.

To test the device, Lu's group grew thick films of Enterococcus faecalis, bacteria that are well-known to infect root canals in the mouth and are highly resistant to both heat and antibiotics. The researchers used some of the so-called biofilms as control samples and subjected the others to the plasma flashlight for 5 minutes at a distance of 5 millimeters. Afterward, they marked all the samples with two fluorescent solutions: a green one that flagged living cells, and a red one that flagged dead cells.

The team found that the control samples stayed green, while the treated samples had turned almost completely red—even at the bottom of the biofilms, which were about 17 cells deep. The results, which are published online today in the Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, were even better than a nonportable plasma device that Lu's group had tested previously.

The above article is a bit generic about how this technique actually works, so here is a link to an applied physics letter detailing some very interesting results in the treatment of cancerous tumors and it's ability to not damage non-cancerous cells.

From above link said:
This paper describes a flexible microplasma jet device using a Tygon® S-54-HL tube as a
biocompatible tube and its potential in developing cancer therapies. The optical and physical
properties of the plasma jets and preliminary apoptosis data of cultured murine tumor cells and
nontumor fibroblast cells treated with these plasma jets are presented. Microplasma jets were
observed to induce apoptosis in cultured murine cells in a dose-dependent manner. The murine
melanoma tumor cells were more sensitive to plasma treatment than fibroblast cells. These features
allow the direct and precise application of this microplasma jet device to tumor cells. © 2010
American Institute of Physics.

@RaXxaa@

System Name ROG
Processor AMD PhenomII X6 1090T 3.2-4.0 GHZ
Motherboard Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Memory OCZ Gold 1333 4GB
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5850
Storage 1000GB SeaGate Sata
Case Thermaltake V4
Audio Device(s) Built in
Power Supply OCZ Modextreme 700W
Software Win7 & Win2k8 server
Benchmark Scores Almost 20300 in 3D 06 6.9 IN Cinebench 11.5 CPU Score
Not reading all of it but it sounds like they reinvented hid lamps? or something alot similar...

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
doesn't that just create UV radiation which kills bacteria ?

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Think of what this will do for fleshlight sterility/cleanliness!

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
We all know plasma lazors kill, so this is only natural :D

There are several way to kill germs. UV light, ozone generators etc. Not sure where does this one fall into. Very high voltage and metallic electrodes usually result in ozone generation...

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Its unexplainable magic. Stop asking questions. The great pasta has bequeathed us with acgift.

System Name YACS amd.
Processor 5800x, 5700g, i9-9900k
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite. or msi x570 gaming plus
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 16,16,16, 36, or gskill
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx, or 6750xt watercooled. (alphacool)
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
well dentists already use UV light to cure the white stuff the use for filling cavities. :roll:
no really they use UV "caulking" to repair cavities... (ok unintended puns...)
ok... i dont know the terminology dentists use for repairing cavities... but it is UV cured.

so this would be a welcome addition for those that have to have a root canal... instead of removing all of the "bits" of the root ( i think a root canal is removing all of the infected root of the tooth) they might be able to remove the cavity bits, blast the tooth with the plasma rays, and fill .... alot less painful...

off-topic... i hated the CSIRO for the trollish behavior involving wifi... but with this advance I will have to say that the money paid to CSIRO by hp et al. is going to good use. so I will have to change my fellings about the CSIRO to it's "like going to a beach with wicked weasel bikinis"... :respect:

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
well dentists already use UV light to cure the white stuff the use for filling cavities.
ok... i dont know the terminology dentists use for repairing cavities... but it is UV cured.

afaik it's a UV activated epoxy. so accelerate the hardening process they use the UV lamp (you don't want to sit for hours at the dentist with the sun shining in your face)

i don't think it's used to kill anything

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Yes, there are many UV cured resins. That's not what the OP articles are refering to.

The devices create a plasma plume, which is then applied to cells.
In the posted OP article they are simply using it to kill bacteria several cell layers deep.
In the linked article they are using a tightly focused, narrow plume generated at the tip of a guidable oscopic device to directly target tumorous cancer cells, with very little affect on nearby non-neoplast (fibroblast) cells.

If you think about it, the ability to sneak in (oscopy) and target a cancerous tumor that may be in an inoperable location has been a dream of doctors and oncologists for quite some time.

System Name YACS amd.
Processor 5800x, 5700g, i9-9900k
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite. or msi x570 gaming plus
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 16,16,16, 36, or gskill
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx, or 6750xt watercooled. (alphacool)
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
sorry for the bad example.. was just thinking it would be useful, just like the UV hardened Resin...:ohwell: another (for me) addon to the "typonese" idea pile:twitch:

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Sorry to sideline but it reminded me of another technology/treatment for prostate cancer. Instead of UV they use ultrasound and bombard the cancerous area.

Source.

My Uncle suffers from prostate cancer reading this brings me hope.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@redeye : No need to apologize. Your reference to the fact that UV radiation can alter the properties of certain compounds is a good example of what has been accomplished with various radiation experiments. The more physicists and medical researches experiment the more they are discovering every day.

@IC : I'm sorry to hear about you Uncle. Prayers up.
Cancer used to be a hush-hush topic but that's not the case anymore. Many cancers are now not only treatable, but the prognoses are getting better every day. Many years ago a male who got Hodgkin's Lymphoma was basically written off. Now there is a 95% cure rate with the treatments available (not as good with women for some reason :( )

Hold onto that hope, IC ... Never surrender, never look back.

.... and thanks for the link. Here is the full text summary of that study if you want to read it.
No histological evidence of cancer was identified in 30 of 39 men biopsied at 6 months (77%, 95% CI 61—89); 36 (92%, 79—98) were free of clinically significant cancer. After retreatment in four men, 39 of 41 (95%, 95% CI 83—99) had no evidence of disease on multiparametric MRI at 12 months.
THAT. ROCKS. :rockout:

Last edited:
System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
This is the kind of thing humanity needs to focus on more often imo. We have so much at our disposal and we have no idea for how long. We seem to waste a lot of time on trivial things, when something this simple, could of been helping cure cancer, 100 years ago. This is pretty amazing to me.. Being an ex smoker and having my pop die, from cancer. Yea, this is a big thumbs up..

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
well dentists already use UV light to cure the white stuff the use for filling cavities. :roll:

so this would be a welcome addition for those that have to have a root canal... instead of removing all of the "bits" of the root ( i think a root canal is removing all of the infected root of the tooth) they might be able to remove the cavity bits, blast the tooth with the plasma rays, and fill .... alot less painful...

off-topic... i hated the CSIRO for the trollish behavior involving wifi... but with this advance I will have to say that the money paid to CSIRO by hp et al. is going to good use. so I will have to change my fellings about the CSIRO to it's "like going to a beach with wicked weasel bikinis"... :respect:

As mentioned by others, the UV light most dentists have, is used to cure the composite resins, among other things like resin modified glass ionomer base and luting cements and many other materials activated by UV, but as W1zzard said, it's not really used it for killing bacteria.

As for RCTs, unfortunately, as of yet, only mechanical methods like rotary or hand driven Nickel-Titanium files can be used to clean and shape the canals to the apex; laser handpieces like Nd:YAG (neodynium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet) are already used for dental and periodontal surgery with limited need for anesthetics, though.

Your suggestion is an awesome idea! and chances are, people involved with this technology are already working on such a device, to be used not only for endodontic procedures, but many other kinds of inoperable cancerous tumors! A flexible plasma micro flashlight based on the technology cited in this thread, that could be bent and inserted into root canals (and other hard to reach areas) and kill bacteria and cancerous cells, would be of great help in endodontics and many other health related fields. but I doubt the technology can be reduced to the necessary size to be succesfuly used to clean the apices of infected canals in its current form, that doesn't mean it will happen eventually, and perhaps, in the near future this technology will be used the same way you mentioned :rockout:

Although the study mentions Enterococcus faecalis as a bacteria that can be killed with the plasma in biofilm (like plaque or perhaps smear layer) I don't think they have used it in actual root canals.. yet, the technology has great potential! :toast:

For now you have to trust your dentist makes good use of a good old fashioned dental dam, irrigation with NaOCl solutions, and mechanical cleaning and shaping of root canals with NiTi files and a EDTA lubricant gel to try and kill as much bacteria in root canals and remove the smear layer without the risk of contamination from external factors like saliva when he does a root canal for you :p

The plasma flashlight mentioned here cannot be easily dismissed though, and as technology progresses, it'll be used for things more microscopic instead of macroscopic, and quick cheap field sterilizing of instruments and infected sites and lesions, as well as the treatment of inoperable cancerous tumors, will be a great use for this "flashlight"; thanks for the link to the article Kreij, it was a great read!

Last edited:

BoydGibson

As mentioned by others, the UV light most dentists have, is used to cure the composite resins, among other things like resin modified glass ionomer base and luting cements and many other materials activated by UV, but as W1zzard said, it's not really used it for killing bacteria.

As for RCTs, unfortunately, as of yet, only mechanical methods like rotary or hand driven Nickel-Titanium files can be used to clean and shape the canals to the apex; laser handpieces like Nd:YAG (neodynium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet) are already used for dental and periodontal surgery with limited need for anesthetics, though.

Your suggestion is an awesome idea! and chances are, people involved with this technology are already working on such a device, to be used not only for endodontic procedures, but many other kinds of inoperable cancerous tumors! A flexible plasma micro
flashlight based on the technology cited in this thread, that could be bent and inserted into root canals (and other hard to reach areas) and kill bacteria and cancerous cells, would be of great help in endodontics and many other health related fields. but I doubt the technology can be reduced to the necessary size to be succesfuly used to clean the apices of infected canals in its current form, that doesn't mean it will happen eventually, and perhaps, in the near future this technology will be used the same way you mentioned :rockout:

Although the study mentions Enterococcus faecalis as a bacteria that can be killed with the plasma in biofilm (like plaque or perhaps smear layer) I don't think they have used it in actual root canals.. yet, the technology has great potential! :toast:

For now you have to trust your dentist makes good use of a good old fashioned dental dam, irrigation with NaOCl solutions, and mechanical cleaning and shaping of root canals with NiTi files and a EDTA lubricant gel to try and kill as much bacteria in root canals and remove the smear layer without the risk of contamination from external factors like saliva when he does a root canal for you :p

The plasma flashlight mentioned here cannot be easily dismissed though, and as technology progresses, it'll be used for things more microscopic instead of macroscopic, and quick cheap field sterilizing of instruments and infected sites and lesions, as well as the treatment of inoperable cancerous tumors, will be a great use for this "flashlight"; thanks for the link to the article Kreij, it was a great read!

Really very nice information on different flashlight technologies. I prefer led lights for my home usage. Nice bright and very cost effective:rockout::rockout:

Last edited: