1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Platform" program? What is this?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by TRWOV, Feb 13, 2012.

1. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    A PC at work has been experiencing some issues and I found this installed:

platform.PNG

It doesn't show the "Change or Remove" button so it's a big red flag. :twitch: Someone knows what it is? A Google search doesn't show any meaningful information (Platform is a very generic term).

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Do a virus scan. Have you asked the user if they use any application called "Platform"? If they say "no", then I would search the system for anything related (ie: any processes in taskmanager like "platform.exe", startup entries in msconfig, files/directories on the HDD, etc.) and try to get rid of them. Make backups where applicable just in case.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If you're familiar with the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and search for "Platform." You should find the add/remove programs entry in there and it should give information about where it is installed and the like.

TRWOV and theJesus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I can't quite find what's wrong. Whenever there is hard disc access activity, CPU usage spikes almost to 100% but the process viewer shows the CPU as ~90% free. Program loading takes forever and Windows startup aeons. The disk isn't significantly fragmented and CrystalDisk info marks the HDD health as good (the HDD has less than a year in use). A virus scan revealed nothing.

If I can't find a solution I guess I'll nuke over the weekend.

Crunching for Team TPU