• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PlayStation 3 Emulator Delivers Modest Speed-Ups with Disabled E-Cores on Intel Alder Lake Processors

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
There are application that are faster on the 5800x than on the 5900x because they are affected by that latency.
I'll add to this that there are reports of 5800X splitting the cores over two dies instead of the single one. Not sure if those are true (so much can go wrong if the testing isn't meticulous), but it's a possibility.

Ah, nevermind, the second chiplet is always disabled

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA
Keyboard Logitech K400 Plus
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Post processing AA
Save states
Massively less cable clutter, and room required to house console.
Ability to memory hack games.

Definite advantage,

I personally would not buy a processor with RPCS3 in mind, as the emulator will definitely mature in the future and the team does do targeted optimizations for Ryzen, so it's not like you're missing out here.

But I also have to confess to being the lucky owner of a model CECHA console with full-hardware backwards compatibility (physical EE/GS, 4 USB, card readers), so until RPCS3 reaches about the same level of maturity as PCSX2 has, I can't say i'm too eager to play the little PS3 games I play through it (not to mention most already received PC ports since then), mostly because barring save states, my console can do everything else and more. This console with Rebug firmware and dev kernel installed on it is nothing short of a treat.

I'll add to this that there are reports of 5800X splitting the cores over two dies instead of the single one. Not sure if those are true (so much can go wrong if the testing isn't meticulous), but it's a possibility.

Ah, nevermind, the second chiplet is always disabled

Yeah, they're disabled. Ryzen 7 and below parts have one of the chiplet slots on the packaging completely vacant.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Something is badly wrong with a CPU architecture if disabling half the cores results in a performance improvement.
Software, not hardware. The result is not from disabling the cores but from software running on correct cores.
Edit: I might be wrong about that due to AVX512.
Because P-core only enables AVX512, which wasn't very useful outside of several cases and may cause unexpected throttling
AFAIK it does not enable AVX512 automatically. Either way, I am actually impressed that RPCS3 does support AVC512 :)
Not to mention you can play every PS3 game for free using cloud service. They are all locked to 720p 30fps natively anyway. I don't believe someone has a reason to spend their time playing 20 ps3 titles. Maybe the ocasional gem here and there, like Red Dead. You complete it and move on to other games
Cloud service is a whole different ballgame, both in terms of visual quality due to compression artifacts plus huge input lag. On the other side, with emulator like RPCS3 you are not locked to 720p 30fps, far from that.

Last edited:
System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
I gave it up, yeah u can run it on 4K and 60 FPS with what sort of CPU 500$?.

I have now 2x PS3 Slim, one on normal FW one modded.
I can still use Games via the modded console if theyr require a Connection to a PS server.

Pretty pointless application? You can get a PS3 off Ebay for about £50 and run anything on the native hardware, saving yourself the huge upgrade cost to Alder Lake for this purpose!
Not to mention you can play every PS3 game for free using cloud service. They are all locked to 720p 30fps natively anyway. I don't believe someone has a reason to spend their time playing 20 ps3 titles. Maybe the ocasional gem here and there, like Red Dead. You complete it and move on to other games
As others have pointed out, you two are grossly mistaken. Besides the main purpose of preservation once PS3 hardware is no longer around, emulators also serve the purpose of allowing people to play these games with various improvements, including higher frame rates (including unlocking FPS caps), higher resolutions, alternate control schemes, and while using quality-of-life features such as save states and memory patches ("cheats", though many are more "mods" than "cheats").
I actually bought PS3 Super Slim 500GB this summer. Never had a PS3 before. Some games clearly look amazing. Like Resistance 3 and Killzone 3. However, low resolution prevents them from shining. I played Legend of Zelda:BOTW on CEMU in 4K/60fps and it's a game changer.
Try out Heavenly Sword on RPCS3! It's a blast when it's not running at 12 FPS!

The thing is on Zen 2, communication between CCX had to go thru the I/O die. The infinity fabric could become saturated by all those access and it had to compete with memory and i/o access too. And this round trip to the I/O die was costly on latency and power usage.

On Zen 3, all core within the CCD can communicate directly with each other but still have to go thru the I/O die via infinity fabrics and this have a latency impact. There are application that are faster on the 5800x than on the 5900x because they are affected by that latency. By example

(image removed for brevity)

But those are rare and generally, the higher frequency compensate the latency problem. It's true that the OS should just use the 5950x as a Single CCD but it's harder to implement in real life than in theory. It's more up to the application to establish that.
This is almost, but not quite correct. Zen 2 has two separate 4-core CCXes, each with 16MB of L3 cache, per "Core Complex Die" or CCD. Ergo, a Ryzen 9 3950X has two CCDs, each with two CCXes.

Like in Zen 1 (which did not have a separate I/O die), the CCXes on a single die communicate with each other across the Infinity Fabric interface on the die itself; the signal never goes to the cIOD (the I/O die.)

Otherwise you are correct, though.
More cases like this will not appear.

Where else you would need to mimic instruction sets of a super complex CELL CPU? Also a lot of contributes the raw over 5GHz single core boost. Not only the AVX512. The added performance number corelates more with the added frequency gap.
The testing was done at iso clocks, meaning the two processors were locked to the same clock rate. Also, both processors tested support AVX-512. The difference in the two is simply down to the changes between the Willow Cove core used in the 11900K and the Golden Cove cores in the 12900K.
Actually the emulator is usable, I have played Metal Gear 4 on it. Occasional freezing is more an issue than the lack of CPU power. It is 30FPS limited ingame either way, so what's the fuss?
RPCS3 has the ability to bypass 30 FPS locks in many titles.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
RPCS3 has the ability to bypass 30 FPS locks in many titles.

I was actually talking about graph below in comments. Some overphilospohy with AMD specific deficiency etc

It is clearly seen the gain from 6 to 8 cores is minimal on both Intel and AMD, you get more just from the core boost within the same arch. 5950X bench shows, that the app totally doesn't know what to do with 16 threads while in gaming. It may during the first code transition phase.

As with any shit code, it likes one fast single thread and then it escalates even further. Praising just one extension that it speeds up that one clearly unoptimized thread is kind like licking your own balls. I understand that Intel Software Development Emulator is nice to use. But it still is a whacky code in the core with very poor multithreading.

It still will need years in development. These news will die in news just as they added the dreaded TSX support that was disabled afterwards in CPU firmware due to few HW bugs. I wonder even why that option even lingers in the emulator.

It is clearly seen the gain from 6 to 8 cores is minimal on both Intel and AMD, you get more just from the core boost within the same arch. 5950X bench shows, that the app totally doesn't know what to do with 16 threads while in gaming. It may during the first code transition phase.

As with any shit code, it likes one fast single thread and then it escalates even further. Praising just one extension that it speeds up that one clearly unoptimized thread is kind like licking your own balls. I understand that Intel Software Development Emulator is nice to use. But it still is a whacky code in the core with very poor multithreading.
Multithreading isn't magic. You can't make something that can't be parallelized faster by throwing more threads at it. Learn about Amdahl's law.
It still will need years in development. These news will die in news just as they added the dreaded TSX support that was disabled afterwards in CPU firmware due to few HW bugs. I wonder even why that option even lingers in the emulator.
And the option is there because it works fine on processors with functional TSX, and it gives a big speed-up.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive

As with any shit code, it likes one fast single thread and then it escalates even further. Praising just one extension that it speeds up that one clearly unoptimized thread is kind like licking your own balls.
This is a PS3 emulator. PS3 CPU has 1 PPE thread and 6 SPE threads (plus one for security and internal stuff). 7 threads if the game developer has done its job well.
That's basically an SIMD test. 2500 as a desktop processor only has 1/3 performance of 7700HQ because the former lacks AVX2 support.
2500 has 1/3 performance because it only has 4 threads. 7700HQ has 8. When a game uses more threads the slowdown is going to be huge. And RDR is one of these games.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
as it's the best way to scale up multicore CPU performance.

This is unequivocally wrong, it's the worst way to scale multicore performance.

You can see this for example in CPU-Z where 12900K achieves about 13X scaling and the 5950X achieves about 18X.

The 12900K is a "16 core" CPU just like the 5950X yet it can't match it's multicore scaling, it's not even close and all of this while the 5950X is also a lot more power efficient. Are you sure it isn't you who is ignorant here ?

Last edited:
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA
Keyboard Logitech K400 Plus
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Mhm! So advanced that one needs to press Scroll Lock to disable half of their CPU. I humbly bow down! :roll:

I mean, that's precisely why. However, it's not Intel at fault here. Alder Lake actually has some amazing state of the art technology, that hardware scheduler they call the "Intel thread director" is, imo, hands down the best improvement a x86 processor has seen in quite some time. The truth is that Windows hopelessly relies on decades-old legacy code that nobody working at Microsoft currently understands or can do anything about, either because of the OS being a Jenga tower that directly relies on that by its very design, or because of legal/patent issues...

Here, right click your desktop, create a new text document and try naming it "COM1" or "LPT1", and you'll see what I mean. I could even go a step further, it's not only remnants from the DOS days four decades plus past, it still contains the dialer application from the NT 3 days in it and all of the surrounding cruft that makes it work, why on Earth does Windows 11 need this?

dialer.png

My point is that Windows is long since past its prime, and no amount of makeover Microsoft ever does to it is gonna change that. Since Windows 8's release, Microsoft's primary focus seems to have been keeping Windows' rotting corpse as neatly embalmed and dressed as possible, but major hardware design changes like this bring the nastiness outside. Eventually they'll have rewritten enough of the kernel and OS's low level functions that such a design will work, but who knows? If you have to disable half of your cores for your operating system to simply behave, something's wrong with it, and we all know what it is, we've just been telling ourselves otherwise over sheer convenience, to be frank.

Last edited:
Processor i7 4930k
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory 4 X 4096 MB G.Skill DDR3 1866 9-10-9-26
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD
Storage Crucial M4 128GB, M500 240GB, Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) Planar PX2710MW 27" 1920x1080
Case Corsair 500R
Power Supply RAIDMAX RX-1200AE
Software Windows 10 64-bit
This is a PS3 emulator. PS3 CPU has 1 PPE thread and 6 SPE threads (plus one for security and internal stuff). 7 threads if the game developer has done its job well.
2500 has 1/3 performance because it only has 4 threads. 7700HQ has 8. When a game uses more threads the slowdown is going to be huge. And RDR is one of these games.
No, hyper-threading doesn't bring in real cores, just make shared resources being utilized more efficiently. Even in best case scenario (similarcompute workload perfectly scale with thread and not memory/cache bandwidth bond), the performance gain is usually about 30% vs hyper threading disabled. In most games hyperthreading actully has negative impact because of introduced context switching...
AVX2 is clearly the deciding factor here.

I mean, that's precisely why. However, it's not Intel at fault here. Alder Lake actually has some amazing state of the art technology, that hardware scheduler they call the "Intel thread director" is, imo, hands down the best improvement a x86 processor has seen in quite some time. The truth is that Windows hopelessly relies on decades-old legacy code that nobody working at Microsoft currently understands or can do anything about, either because of the OS being a Jenga tower that directly relies on that by its very design, or because of legal/patent issues...

Here, right click your desktop, create a new text document and try naming it "COM1" or "LPT1", and you'll see what I mean. I could even go a step further, it's not only remnants from the DOS days four decades plus past, it still contains the dialer application from the NT 3 days in it and all of the surrounding cruft that makes it work, why on Earth does Windows 11 need this?

View attachment 226439

My point is that Windows is long since past its prime, and no amount of makeover Microsoft ever does to it is gonna change that. Since Windows 8's release, Microsoft's primary focus seems to have been keeping Windows' rotting corpse as neatly embalmed and dressed as possible, but major hardware design changes like this bring the nastiness outside. Eventually they'll have rewritten enough of the kernel and OS's low level functions that such a design will work, but who knows? If you have to disable half of your cores for your operating system to simply behave, something's wrong with it, and we all know what it is, we've just been telling ourselves otherwise over sheer convenience, to be frank.
Yes, we are on the same page, it seems.

It was my take on intel, as they have their fair share of BS to this day.

M$ should build a modern OS from the ground up, instead re-skinning the same old PoS each year, asking for even higher prices.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Multithreading isn't magic. You can't make something that can't be parallelized faster by throwing more threads at it. Learn about Amdahl's law.

And the option is there because it works fine on processors with functional TSX, and it gives a big speed-up.

Show me those functional CPUs...

Everything from Haswell to Kaby Lake is disabled in microcode. Later ones doesn't have the set as such.

Call me up when the emulator won't choke on one single thread while ingame... LLVM limitations are the key factor of shit multithreading here, not Amdahl's law, no matter how you try to defend it. Instead of relying on brute force AVX512, but instead aiding GPGPU/OpenCL for aiding in complex instruction sets.

It totally nuts to read people about needing a rare AVX512 that nobody does use in home/gaming scenarios. For professional use you use different caliber of gear with included ECC RAM if you wish for serious calculations and not fooling around.

Learn.

In August 2014, Intel announced that a bug exists in the TSX/TSX-NI implementation on Haswell, Haswell-E, Haswell-EP and early Broadwell CPUs, which resulted in disabling the TSX/TSX-NI feature on affected CPUs via a microcode update.[9][10][23] The bug was fixed in F-0 steppings of the vPro-enabled Core M-5Y70 Broadwell CPU in November 2014.[24]

The bug was found and then reported during a diploma thesis in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens.[25]

In October 2018, Intel disclosed a TSX/TSX-NI memory ordering issue found in Skylake processors.[26] As a result of a microcode update, HLE support was disabled in the affected CPUs, and RTM transactions would always abort in SGX and SMM modes of operation. System software would have to implement a workaround for the RTM memory ordering issue. In June 2021, Intel published a microcode update that further disables TSX/TSX-NI on various Xeon and Core processor models from Skylake through Coffee Lake and Whiskey Lake as a mitigation for unreliable behavior of a performance counter in the Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU).[27] By default, with the updated microcode, the processor would still indicate support for RTM but would always abort the transaction. System software is able to detect this mode of operation and mask support for TSX/TSX-NI from the CPUID instruction, preventing detection of TSX/TSX-NI by applications. System software may also enable the "Unsupported Software Development Mode", where RTM is fully active, but in this case RTM usage may be subject to the issues described earlier, and therefore this mode should not be enabled on production systems.

According to Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Optimization Reference Manual from May 2020, Volume 1, Chapter 2.5 Intel Instruction Set Architecture And Features Removed,[18] HLE has been removed from Intel products released in 2019 and later. RTM is not documented as removed. However, Intel 10th generation Comet Lake and Ice Lake CPUs, which were released in 2020, do not support TSX/TSX-NI,[28][29][30][31][32] including both HLE and RTM.

In Intel Architecture Instruction Set Extensions Programming Reference revision 41 from October 2020,[33] a new TSXLDTRK instruction set extension was documented and slated for inclusion in the upcoming Sapphire Rapids processors.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
This is what ive been waiting for to see, hope others would use RPCS3 as a CPU benchmark like they did before with dolphin

RPCS3 is heavily AVX accelerated, which is cool for the usecase, but AVX has little relevancy in most use cases, and AVX512 even more so.