• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation VR 2

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The CES PSVR2 reviews / previews unfortunately come off like canned / managed paid advertisement IMO. The highly restrictive usage afforded the reviews just isn't much to go on. Also, ~$550 USD is arguably not a great price.

yeah. I am leaning towards not getting this now, just not enough games that interest me, makes more sense for me to sell my PS5 (which i never use) and improve my gaming PC / save for Valve Index 2

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I don't know if it makes much sense to sell the PS5 unless you make a sizable profit on doing so. The time for such things has hopefully past and price gouging is kind of unseemly overall. If you hold on to your PS5 the PSVR2 will likely drop in price significantly in due time just like the original PSVR.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't know if it makes much sense to sell the PS5 unless you make a sizable profit on doing so. The time for such things has hopefully past and price gouging is kind of unseemly overall. If you hold on to your PS5 the PSVR2 will likely drop in price significantly in due time just like the original PSVR.

yeah, especially since shipping such a large item will cost me a pretty penny.

it was def an impulse buy for me, and then a month after I got it they announced all the PS exclusive games coming to PC... and I was like fuck...

lol, not a big deal. at least I can play old games on it for nostalgia someday... though they took away the metal gear solid series from store catalog so I guess not... heh.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Its understandable,..

The absence of a robust gaming PC is not ideal but a PS5 is still a great gaming platform. It’s worth pointing out that while the used PC part market is a viable option new parts could be quite expensive such as upcoming nVidia video cards and DDR5 RAM.

Point being, building a robust modern gaming PC on the budget of the cost of a PS5 would be fraught with compromise up the wazoo,…..to say nothing of the ying-yang,….. :)

Compromise isn’t fun, especially in a desktop gaming PC, but sometimes it can be tolerable in something small like a Steam Deck.

Personally I still think Sony missed the mark with the PSVR2. I think it should have brought the trifecta: stand alone untethered VR like the Quest (1, 2 and 3), PS5 VR game support and PCVR game support (Wired and wireless). Had they done that, it might be worth the ~$550 MSRP in my eyes.

The Quest kind of ruined the market with respect to good VR at a cheap price. Meaning if you can get a good VR HMD for ~$300 all-in, why would you pay ~$550 or more? I’m not sure Sony has the answer to that yet.

Now, if they would knock off a couple hundred from the PSVR2 if you trade in your old PSVR,…..yeah, that could work For me. Since they won’t likely do that, I can wait until they are forced to lower their price.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board

PSVR2 Unboxing video,…

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Its understandable,..

The absence of a robust gaming PC is not ideal but a PS5 is still a great gaming platform. It’s worth pointing out that while the used PC part market is a viable option new parts could be quite expensive such as upcoming nVidia video cards and DDR5 RAM.

Point being, building a robust modern gaming PC on the budget of the cost of a PS5 would be fraught with compromise up the wazoo,…..to say nothing of the ying-yang,….. :)

Compromise isn’t fun, especially in a desktop gaming PC, but sometimes it can be tolerable in something small like a Steam Deck.

Personally I still think Sony missed the mark with the PSVR2. I think it should have brought the trifecta: stand alone untethered VR like the Quest (1, 2 and 3), PS5 VR game support and PCVR game support (Wired and wireless). Had they done that, it might be worth the ~$550 MSRP in my eyes.

The Quest kind of ruined the market with respect to good VR at a cheap price. Meaning if you can get a good VR HMD for ~$300 all-in, why would you pay ~$550 or more? I’m not sure Sony has the answer to that yet.

Now, if they would knock off a couple hundred from the PSVR2 if you trade in your old PSVR,…..yeah, that could work For me. Since they won’t likely do that, I can wait until they are forced to lower their price.

Yeah, I decided I am not getting this. If it had PC support I would get it. I am just going to keep waiting for Valve Index 2 (hopefully in a year or two) I am in no rush though honestly. I decided I am going skipping Steam Deck as well, and waiting for a Steam Deck 2 with OLED display.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I had the original Oculus Rift with Touch controllers (still do / in retail box(s)). When the first Oculus Quest was released I bought that too but the inside-out controller tracking was a downgrade with respect to the outside-in of the Rift (IMO).

It was about then that I thought it would be great if the controllers could track themselves given the occlusion issues of the then current solution. Fast forward to today and the Meta Quest Pro has self tracking controllers and if I am being perfectly honest, I find that very impressive.

There is a lot to like about the PSVR2. Honorable mention goes to the eye tracking, Foveated rendering, adaptive triggers, HMD mounted haptics and more. Unfortunately the controllers of the PSVR2 aren’t self tracking and will have the same issues of occlusion as the original Oculus Quest released way back in March of 2016.

The PSVR2 HMD is still tethered only and at the very least there should be a wireless option to the PS5.

There have clearly been some advancements made but the PSVR2 is also an odd mismatch of new tech and old. That is something it shares with the original PSVR.

Maybe the PSVR3 be more of what I am looking for.

When the bottom falls out of the PSVR2 pricing that might be the time to buy one

The good news is that Sony will supposedly step up PS5 production before the release of the PSVR2 so that should help out those who haven‘t yet been able to source one,…

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
Picked this up a few days ago, it's interesting but not a major evolutionary jump from the original psvr. Still need to get some more time in on it. Have been playing GT7 exclusively with it and that might not be the best title to use (reprojection).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I decided to keep my PS5, but I won't be getting this. Unless it hits like a $299 sale in like 1-2 years. Otherwise I will just keep saving up for Valve Index 2.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I decided to keep my PS5, but I won't be getting this. Unless it hits like a $299 sale in like 1-2 years. Otherwise I will just keep saving up for Valve Index 2.
Yeah, I think the pricing is the major unfortunate factor here. One would think that since the PSVR2 is just an accessory to the PS5 that maybe they would make it a loss leader in order to sell the VR game titles. Unfortunately the higher cost suggests that a strong game library isn't necessarily going to be leveraged. With a walled garden one can only play what is on offer officially for the platform unless someone figures out how to get it working with a PC.

So yeah, ~$300 USD is a good inflection point provided the games are there or at least a handful of killer titles.

If Sony were to have commission a killer title like Half-Life Alyx or an expansion exclusive to the franchise (at least for a little while) it would have sold some PSVR HMD's in all likelihood. Lord knows the Valve Index got quite a boost from Half-Life Alyx. Some people where insistent on getting an Index even though the Index wasn't a prerequisite (other cheaper HMD's would have sufficed).

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board