• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plea For VGA BIOS ROM File: XFX HD7970 Dual Dissipation Black Edition (FX-797A-TDBC)

David Lynch

Dear Friends,

I am such a wiener. I think I have "bricked" my brand new beautiful XFX HD 7970 Dual Dissipation Black Edition (FX-797A-TDBC). The card is still talking and can be flashed, but I don't think that the BIOS for this exact card is in the PowerUp database.

I have posted a request for help to the XFX web site, but I'm afraid that once they know I tried to flash my VGA BIOS they'll tell me to take a hike.

Does any generous soul out there happen to have the factory ROM file for FX-797A-TDBC that they would like to share (or possibly any ROM file that is presumed to be compatible)?

If so, please send to me either in here, or to david@sotaenterprises.com.

TIA,
Dave
Senior Brick Maker

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Next time, save your factory bios before you go flashing. ;)

BUMP!

David Lynch

You bet EarthDog, I should have saved BIOS first. Seriously wish I had now. I didn't realize that the factory BIOS would be generally unavailable. I guess that this VGA BIOS flashing is a more subversive, fringe action than say flashing a motherboard BIOS.

There actually 7 entries in the TechPowerUp database that *might* work with my card, but I don't think that any are a precise match, and I'm not sure what kind of wiggle room I have to mix and match. I know that with the BIOS that I chose, everything works up to a certain point--in fact I can login to Windows 7, but then during login, the screens freeze up and display a green pattern. This may be the point at which the Catalyst Control Center tray application starts.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
There actually 7 entries in the TechPowerUp database that *might* work with my card, but I don't think that any are a precise match, and I'm not sure what kind of wiggle room I have to mix and match. I know that with the BIOS that I chose, everything works up to a certain point--in fact I can login to Windows 7, but then during login, the screens freeze up and display a green pattern. This may be the point at which the Catalyst Control Center tray application starts.

I assume it works in safe mode then?

David Lynch

Yes it works in Safe Mode or also in Regular Mode

I assume it works in safe mode then?
Yes, it works in Safe Mode and also Regular Mode if I remove all displays but my primary which is DVI (my side displays are DisplayPort) and use msconfig to defeat all startup applications. I should be able to reflash with the correct BIOS.

David Lynch

My god thank you guys so much what incredible fast turn-around I see that W1zzard has already posted the requested ROM file. I am going to try tonight with my freshly-made bootable USB drive.

foeshigity

Simular issue different card

I have the 3rd release of this card W/ the two dvi ports. 797A tdbc v5.0 any one have the vBios for it.? if Not can someone preform a dump. Thanks

Last edited: