• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plead to coder of GPU-Z

I am new here, however I wanted to ask the author of GPU-Z if it is possible to expose some code of how he accesses the VRM temps of a Graphics card or otherwise tell me how one can fetch them.

The AMD ADL library does not expose any wrapper to fetch the temps, thus only software like this have the option to.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I don't think Wizz is going to tell you that. From what I understand companies like MSI, GIGABYTE, and anyone else that uses GPU-Z as a base for their own OC tools have to pay him for the privilege.

I could be wrong though.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
first you need to figure out how to do i2c transfers on the card (ask AMD). next you need to know the register structure of the voltage controller (ask CHiL/Volterra).

with that info it should be a matter of writing glue code around it, oh and you probably need your own signed kernel mode driver which can access gpu registers as ADL doesn't expose that functionality

I found an existing implementation which to use to query VRMs, however it is linux specific. In windows I must map the PCI bus memory to userspace which from what I am reading is much harder in Windows 7.

Let's hope \Device\PhysicalMemory will work.

Also, your executable is a single file, where on earth are you loading a driver from?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I found an existing implementation which to use to query VRMs, however it is linux specific

i didn't know there was a linux app that could do that. what program is it ?

Also, your executable is a single file, where on earth are you loading a driver from?

extract at runtime

The program is called radeonvolt. It's opensource https://github.com/ius/radeonvolt.

It supports a small range of cards, the 58xx series only, but it is a nice proof of concept. It also does not require any external driver at all due to how linux works(quite amazing).

I've already compiled pciutils so scanning the PCI bus-es is not a problem. Mapping that same memory to userspace is, let's hope phymem can help me.

I've also understood that querying a card via I2C using multiple programs(or sometimes just one) can sometimes cause voltage to spike to the max possible because I2C register writing gets screwy, killing the card.