• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help Asus GTX 680 Flash Mistake

Dissolution

I royally messed up and I have no idea what I was thinking but I tried to flash my bios to increase the voltage and get more power out of my card.... It was a huge mistake because now when I turn on my computer the colours are completely jacked and there are lines everywhere... I have no idea how to fix it. I tried flashing the bios with all 4 of the bios on this website for asus 680's and none of them fixed the issue. I should also mention that I did the flash through a bootable usb stick and still no deal...

Can anyone out there please send me the correct bios or tell me what to do to fix this 500 dollar mistake? It would mean everything to me as I need my computer for school.... I have an Asus GTX 680 DC20 2gig card. If you need to know anything else please feel free to ask.

Thank you all ind advance.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS

Dissolution

Yes I have with no luck. I have tried all 4 bios on this website for the gtx 680 and none of them will flash it back.. The strange thing is that the flash works... Every time I flash the bios the card shows a different bios version number.... However the problem remains.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I have a cheap card for you if needed...I KID, I KID.

Being serious, are you able to get in to safe mode or windows and see at all? Can you lower the voltage and clocks while in windows?

Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
Yes I have with no luck. I have tried all 4 bios on this website for the gtx 680 and none of them will flash it back.. The strange thing is that the flash works... Every time I flash the bios the card shows a different bios version number.... However the problem remains.

Hm.. Can you please confirm your product series by looking at the box (the label with the bar code thingy) or on the back of your card (also the label with the bar code)?

There's 7 different series for ASUS GTX 680 maybe you got the new revision (V2) or something else so no BIOSes from TPU database suits your card.

Dissolution

Yes I can get into Windows to see the clocks but I can't really do anything with the clocks... The card is recognized in Windows as far as I can tell. I did have MSI AB installed and I reset the clock speeds before I tried to flash the bios. The speeds appear to be back to the original state however it is hard to tell. I can probably get into safe mode.

Dissolution

I am positive it is the DC20. I am looking at the serial number and above it shows that exact code. I did only buy the card a month ago so it could be that it is a different version of the bios that it has....

Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
Yes I can get into Windows to see the clocks but I can't really do anything with the clocks... The card is recognized in Windows as far as I can tell. I did have MSI AB installed and I reset the clock speeds before I tried to flash the bios. The speeds appear to be back to the original state however it is hard to tell. I can probably get into safe mode.

Try to boot into save mode and if you found normal display under save mode then try to re-install your driver.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

I am positive it is the DC20. I am looking at the serial number and above it shows that exact code. I did only buy the card a month ago so it could be that it is a different version of the bios that it has....

Would restoring the computer do anything?

Please use the edit button when you're adding to a thread and no one has responded yet.

Restoring most likely won't make a difference. If the colors are fine in safe mode (sans the resolution,) then I would try re-installing the driver. If that doesn't work try the other BIOS' if you can find them, otherwise you might be trying to get it repaired.

People get pissed when I tell them I told you so, but flashing your video card is never a good idea. Even more so when you rely on your computer. Either way, it was a learning experience, I'm sure. You might want to try getting the ball rolling on an RMA early in case all else fails. At least that way you can get it out ASAP.

Dissolution

I am just upset that I did something so freaking stupid.... Usually I do my research before I try anything like this.... I understand why someone would say I told you so....My wife is going away on Saturday so I am going to take her card out of her machine and make sure that it is definitely the card... If it is I will just have to talk to Asus and see what they can do.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Will ASUS take an RMA for a user borked bios? They may charge you if they take it at all...

Processor Core i5 4690K @ 3.5 GHz \\ C2Q Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 SLI \\ Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer \\ Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB \\ Corsair XMS2 2x 2 GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 Gaming v1.1 (Hynix) \\ Sapphire HD 6850
Storage Kingston SV200, 3 TB Seagate 7200.14 \\ 2x 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Case Corsair Carbide 200R Windowed \\ CM 690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 \\ Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Adata HM850 \\ Corsair HX520
Mouse Logitech G602, SteelSeries Sensei Raw Frostblue, Corsair M65
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 \\ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi,

perhaps the bioses you used/tried didn't matched the video ram's brand, voltage, latency, revision of the videocard etc. etc. that are used on your Asus GTX 680 DCII?

Maybe try this guide and the bioses (one standard and one modded/voltage unlocked bios - find them under "680 bios'") for the GTX 680 DCII TOP as last resort. And flash the card preferably in DOS with the help of a bootable USB stick (as described in the mentioned guide).

Good luck!

Dissolution

Hi,

perhaps the bioses you used/tried didn't matched the video ram's brand, voltage, latency, revision of the videocard etc. etc. that are used on your Asus GTX 680 DCII?

Maybe try this guide and the bioses (one standard and one modded/voltage unlocked bios - find them under "680 bios'") for the GTX 680 DCII TOP as last resort. And flash the card preferably in DOS with the help of a bootable USB stick (as described in the mentioned guide).

Good luck!

Unfortunately that is the tread where this nightmare started. I have tried this method multiple times and to no avail. I have been in contact with General and he tried to assist me but there is no fixing this. I have flashed the bios through dos multiple times and the colours are still completely broken.... and there are lines everywhere.

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Unfortunately that is the tread where this nightmare started. I have tried this method multiple times and to no avail. I have been in contact with General and he tried to assist me but there is no fixing this. I have flashed the bios through dos multiple times and the colours are still completely broken.... and there are lines everywhere.

Sorry to hear about that.

And since you said you tried the bioses on Techpowerup's VGA bioses database, then were the results the same, or the results are different, i.e. less artifacts, less lines on screen etc. with the bioses you tried? On the other hand, the flash may have done the damage already.

Anyway, perhaps you can check your GTX 680 to be sure what exact DC2 series it belongs (look up some kind of sticker on the card?). Different DC2 series/revisions with different design have their own bioses with specific parameters etc. after all. Flashing the wrong bioses would cause the issues you are having now.

Edit:

There's a bios update (Version 80.04.5B.00.AS10) for the GTX680-DC2-4GD5. Perhaps try that update for your card as last resort if nothing works for you! Do check the P/N number on some sticker on the card first!

VBIOS update for GTX680-DC2-4GD5 & GTX680-DC2G-4GD5
Only for 60 P/N: 60YV0350-VG0A0*
Improve stability in SLI condition.

Last edited:

Dissolution

There are 2 stickers. One has a C9CVCM075642 and the other is GTX 680 - DC20-2gd5-2DIS 022950-00306 YV02F4-A11

I will try and flash it with that bios.
Thanks

I downloaded that bios but it is an .exe... Can I still flash the bios with a .exe or does it have to be a .rom for nvflash to work?

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
There are 2 stickers. One has a C9CVCM075642 and the other is GTX 680 - DC20-2gd5-2DIS 022950-00306 YV02F4-A11

I will try and flash it with that bios.
Thanks

I hope it's not too late, I notice the bios is for 4GB GTX 680 which would cause you issues. And the P/N number doesn't match the ones on the sticker on your card at all!

And since you have checked on the sticker, then the exact model is GTX680 DC2O-2GD5, and not just a normal GTX 680 DC2. Your card does have a much bigger VGA cooler, right?

Then the solution would be asking fellow Techpowerup members with such card to give you the bios for the reflash.

Last edited:

Dissolution

Yes it has a massive cooler on it. I have tried to ask and all people do is refer me to the link on this site. I have tried all of the bios for the Asus GTX 680 from this site and none of them work. I need someone with the exact same card to send me the bios I think.... That is the only way this will get fixed.

Also there is no bios on the asus website for this card so I can't even download it from them....This is just ridiculous :(
I am on the phone with them now... Hopefully they can give me a link to the EXACT bios....
Asus is telling me that the only way to get the bios is through their tweaker utility but when I install the tweaker it says that the .dll's are missing and I do not have a card installed... Even though in device manager a gtx 680 shows up..... There has to be a way to fix it .... the computer sees the card :(
I am getting a code 43.... when I google the code the instructions explain that it is almost always a driver error....but I have tried many different drivers and none of them seem to work.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
You removed the video drivers before flashing the GPU right? If you didn't try to uninstall and re-install the drivers since, the device ID probably changed during the flash and probably needs the driver's re-installed.

If GPU-Z is reading the card fine and it knows that it's a GTX 680 and everything appears to be correct, give re-installing your drives a try.

Dissolution

I am sotry I have been busy with school. I was able to fix the issue. Thsnk you all for your help.

Dissolution

I flashed the card with an incorrect version. Luckily I was able to find an evga bios thay worked and all is right in the world.