1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

please help me

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by evilgower, Jan 2, 2014.

1. evilgower New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello i have got

amd fx 6100 6 core
    gtx 480 1.5gb
    8gb ram
    500 watt psu

i have u been getting lag in games i should be able to play easy isit some kind of bottle neck or damaged RAM or need to reset bios????? please someone help been driving me nuts for ages

2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    What games are you playing?
    What Mobo and what harddrive config too?
    Please define lag a little better.
    Oh yeah, what monitor are you using as well?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    evilgower says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Check your GPU isn't loaded while you're sat on the desktop, could be a background process running on your GPU without you knowing such as bitcoin mining malware.
    Alternatively, if you're playing something that goes past your 1.5GB VRAM, that would give you frame drop.

4. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Try lowering the resolution and detail levels, if your FPS increases, this usually means your CPU can handle better graphics. If your FPS stays about the same, the CPU is most likely the bottleneck. I'm betting it's the CPU - lots of games can only use 1 or 2 threads (single core perf. on FX 6100 is notoriously weak). Your video card is old, but should still handle it if it has no problem. Have you tried the card in another system? You didn't say what size and resolution you're running, but the above test should give you an idea where to start. Good luck!

5. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    I second RCoon. Make sure your gpu isn't sitting at 100% on the desktop, usually means bad driver/underpowered/crashed display driver. You might notice this happen in game if it flickers for a second before the game keeps going and starts lagging hard.

my suggestion would be to a: drop any overclock(bios reset if possible) and try the game with everything on stock. Do the same with your vid card, no overclock and no extra software running.

b: clean up windows, update all drivers, make sure settings are at defaults for things like video card and the like

Try gaming and report back.

6. evilgower New Member

Thanks Received:
    im playing dayz rome 2 total war battlefield rust pritty much every game out there

7. evilgower New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello there thanks for reply erm whats the best way to reset bios take the battery out ???? cause i notice it started to lag wen i flashed bios about a year ago thats wen it started to lag

8. evilgower New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for reply im running 1060 x1050 resolution and was playing dayz on low settings only getting about 30 fps but still had its laggy moments its not constant lag now and then

9. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I say that PSU is a bit weak for a GTX480. What brand is the PSU? On the other hand Rome 2 is bad, lags on far better systems.

10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    DayZ is always going to have lag, I have a 7970 with a 2600K @ 4.5ghz and even on very low it lags hard in big towns on the stand alone and the MOD is pretty much no different.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. evilgower New Member

Thanks Received:
    not sure what psu it is cost around £50 pritty sure its 600w

12. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    That all depends on the board you have.. For instance mine has a button, some people have jumpers, and fewer more have to pull the battery. look in your mobo manual.

13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    clean your machine and replace that 480, that sucker overheats, also tell us what powersupply youre using, not the rating of it but the specific model and name

14. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    Please fill in your system specifications in your member profile.
    Try running GPUZ and checking temps and GPU load while idle and while gaming. Let us know those numbers.
    Run the obligatory Malwarebytes scan to check for nasty stuff.
    If you noticed lag after a BIOS update, you may have neglected to update a setting somewhere after the flash. Double check all your current settings to be sure something isn't misconfigured.

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    for you it might be safer to take it to a pc shop

16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I agree that it could be a too weak PSU for that spec, esp if it's a cheap one that has low amperage for it's wattage. Reliable sources like EVGA and MSI recommend 600w and 42a PSU for a GTX 480. That was the first Fermi card, and not nearly as efficient as today's GPUs. It was the first consumer level GPU built with high performance industrial architecture. Models after that were scaled back to omit much of the latter. They run hot and suck a lot of power, esp with graphic intense or heavily modded games.

GeForce GTX 480 - 42A and a 600W PSU minimum

Source: http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards