• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help - System hangs when doing graphic

nkcd

It's so weird. I have this old P4 system. Transfered to another case for my bro (using same components except for his Floppy and CD-RW drive). Wiped out the HDD, then reinstall Windows xp.

It freezes on Video Applications - like 5 min later. Now, even after a 3rd fresh install (nothing else). Running Screensavers (aquarium or any other 3D) causes it to freezes. Changed to different video card, still freezes. Changed to good mem sticks, same thing again. Took out his stuff and used back EVERYTHING before, still freezes. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

P4 2.66ghz 533FSB
512MB DDR400
30GB HDD.
DVD-ROM
CD-RW

CPU temp - 35idle. 47load. - 33 when playing video
system temp: 34C

I tried everything, After the fresh install of diff windows, (wiped then reinstall), after the update patches (all 40+ whatever)

I tried the Ti4200 8xAGP, then the X800Pro. Both results in the samething. go back to my original 120GB HDD that still have the OS from the previous install, same thing.

Tried 2 diff mem modules, same thing.

I really don't know what's wrong It was working fine. I even carried in the ESD bags when walking around.

I thought it's the CMOS battery, changed.... Now able to play a whole 25 min episode fine. But running "aquarium" screensavers afterward freezes it again?

I did take out all necessary (DVD Drives, Floppy, other PCI cards.)

Anarion

Processor amd HAMMER SERIES 62% oc
Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Cooling Active, Noisy , air
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Display(s) 215TW HDCP 95%+! color accuracy
Case aluminium sHOW CASE BP
Audio Device(s) Behringer dj pro hpx4000
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2
mb damage possibility.
(try to clean up agp slot front & back with sometihng like ambersil& wind blower for drying.)

nkcd

the funny thing is that it was working just fine.... I did cleaned the mobo up with isopropyl alcohold and use air can (industrial strong ones) to clean it and leaves it like that in an ESD bag for days before I get the chance to assemble it. The funny thing is that it would freeze 5 min into a movie or a screen saver before, nothing changed. I replace the CMOS battery, it now freezes 25-30 min afterward???

I left it on for 12 hrs with CPU burn in and without screen saver, it's just fine??

Something is wrong with the graphic area I guess. Will Try a diff mobo next.

nkcd

Guys, I found out what the problem was.

Original, it was due to the CMOS battery. Now it's because of the heating issue from the video card. Got it figured out.

Thanks a lot :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Sweet i read this post and was about to give help until halfway down then i left the post A:because i couldnt help and B:because i was like holy shit he's screwed....glad u got it sorted out :)

nkcd

Man, this has been too troublesome.

First, the CMOS battery failed on me, could have never guessed :banghead: . Then it gave me hope of the system being able to run a 30 min movie fine. Then i stress it a lil further, it hangs again. Before I decided to change mobo, I was like, let's try again with the X800Pro. It works. Screensaver is on for more than 1hr, nothing, video playback is fine. This lead me to believe that it actually does have something to do with the Ti4200.

I took the Ti4200 out and look at it. Seem like the stock cooling is failing. Fan is making weird noisy and the backplate is tilted. I was like, screwed, it. Search around the room and found an OLDDDDDDD AMD K6 heatsink + small fan which would fit on there nicely. So I put in on using a thermal Tape (our company used that tape for lasers) in between. It's not a best bet for the core since the core's edge is a lil bit higher than its surface. To secure it further, I used the 2 Rubberband and tied it to the back. Ghetto but it gets the job done. Now running 3Dmark03 (3x loop) no problem. Also, to cool the ram, i used some of the ramsink I have available. It's a tad small compared to these 4ns Samsung but with good caseflow, it should be sufficient. Since my older bro doesn't do much graphic except for some occasion Video watching.

Will let screensaver on for 2 hrs to see.

:)

I think he'll appreciate my gift a lot

2.66ghz Northwood 533FSB OC to 3GHZ (stock Alu cooler lapped with Artic Ceramique)
512 DDR400 Samsung TCCC
DVD ROM
CD-RW Drive
30GB main HDD and 40GB slave (this drive is VERY Noisy so I make it slave)
450W Generic PSU (dual 80mm exhaust)
Demon case with 7x80mm fan. 4 intake, 3 exhaust

CPU: 30 idle/47 Load
Case: 35 idle/41Load (higher than CPU - weird but I double checked)
GPU: 38 idle/45 load

Ambient: 73F

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.