1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please recommend a new HSF

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by qubit, Jul 5, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, here's one for all you budding system builders out there...

I'm currently running the Zalman CNPS8700 LED heatsink on my rig (see specs) and I want to upgrade it to a better cooler. Can you recommend something for me?

Here are some parameters to help you help me:

- This fan is analog and my mobo has PWM control. It's currently running in quiet mode with a resistor, so there's no auto speed control. I want a PWM fan, so I don't have to worry about my PC overheating when I ramp up the load on it, as it will speed up. It's a bit iffy at the moment, especially with dust build up, when the overtemp alarm starts to go off

- It must be really quiet when the PC isn't working hard. My Zalman is like this and this parameter is really important

- I want air cooled only, heatpipes ok

- I'll consider any quality brand

- Any size is fine

- It must fit socket 775 (my current one)

- Cost isn't a limiting factor. If it's good quality, I'll spend it

2. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I've got more than a few recommendations for you, all of which are good quality HSF's from what I have seen in reviews (actual product reviews...not newegg reviews). The small list goes from cheapest to most expensive based on what it's worth in the US, prices might be different in your country.

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler I5 775 ...

GELID Solutions Tranquillo CC-TranQ-01-A 120mm Hyd...

XIGMATEK BALDER SD1283 120mm Long Life CPU Cooler ...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatp...

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S128...

And just for comparisons for how quiet coolers are, here's a link to frostytech's site where they have reviewed a massive amount of HSF's: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2233&page=3 (this particular 1 being the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, but covers a LOT of other ones)

Law-II and qubit say thanks.
  3. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    qubit and sneekypeet say thanks.
  4. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I can recommend you the Prolimatech Megahalem which is probably one of the better CPU air-cooler people can buy. Superb build quality, really good cooling performance. Although you will have to buy a 120 mm fan (or two since it does support dual fans) for it since it doesn't include one; recommended brands for fans are those made by Scythe and Noctua, but standard 120mm case fans will do their job pretty well (be sure to choose a 4-pins case fan which supports PWM).

And here are some case fans round-ups:
    Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup (Xbitslabs)
    Roundup: 11 Fans for Two Super-Coolers and One System Case (Xbitslabs)

EDIT

I should have checked Techpowerup's reviews, since there's one really awesome cpu-cooler by Noctua, the Noctua NH-D14* which is quite big (check first whether it will fit in the PC case and on the motherboard) and it's probably the best cooler you can buy for your cpu and it includes two high quality fans which are pretty expensive if you buy them seperately.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    qubit says thanks.