• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Politics on TPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I understand TPU's policy of not talking politics and agree with it, in general. However, every now and then, politics impacts directly on the technology that we talk about on here, such as this article:

https://www.techpowerup.com/251297/u-s-government-shutdown-hits-several-ces-exhibitors-hard

In such a situation however, the politics of the situation is integral to the story, since it's caused it, so I think people should be allowed to talk about it, eg Trump's policies etc. In this case, it's Trump's controversial government shutdown adversely affecting CES. Not allowing it is ignoring the elephant in the room. Therefore, perhaps a slight revision to this forum rule is in order to allow politics discussion in the context of the specific story.

Let's have your opinion on this people, especially @W1zzard

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I don’t see anything regarding not talking about politics in that thread.

I made a similar comment on the Linux foundation changes iirc.

We have been tolerating political discussions thus far in news posts so I’m not sure why this thread exists.

I am 100% against it in any part of the forum other than news posts.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I don’t see anything regarding not talking about politics in that thread.
It wasn't mentioned in the thread, but people are sidestepping the core issue that's causing the situation, Trump's government shutdown. That's why this thread exists.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
In this case, it's Trump's controversial government shutdown adversely affecting CES.
Your one sided view on this is rather biased and scant on facts. Did Congress pass a budget that President Trump refused to sign? No. Congressional Democrats are refusing to provide funding to secure the border and Congress can't come up with a budget. But hey, blame Trump for international shipping delays.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
But no one wants to share that anyways,
Your one sided view on this is rather biased and scant on facts. Did Congress pass a budget that President Trump refused to sign? No. Congressional Democrats are refusing to provide funding to secure the border and Congress can't come up with a budget. But hey, blame Trump for international shipping delays.

This all day long, but i guess you could say i was being one sided too buut shit. lets drop this shit as most cannot even hadle the truth.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Oh dear, hardly. :rolleyes: I think you've missed something there and I really don't like your tone, so I won't waste any more time arguing with you.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
We have been tolerating political discussions thus far in news posts so I’m not sure why this thread exists.

No, we really haven't. I got a reply ban for one in which I was completely civil (that same linux newspost). I just assumed it was due to the "no politics" policy and went with it, but the rule really needs clarification because clearly, we aren't just allowed to discuss it.

Did Congress pass a budget that President Trump refused to sign? No.

They were going to (had the votes lined up to pass it and everything) had he not outright stated he wasn't going to sign that bipartisan attempt because "no wall money" and they decided not to waste their time, but meh, details eh?

So basically, yes. But it's ok, because the wall is going to be transparent as a concession to the apparent criticism of his lack of transparency. As in see through. (I swear, you can't make this shit up)

When does Mexico pay for it, again?

But no one wants to share that anyways

Probably because in this case one side has facts the other has rhetoric. I mean if the facts criticize your president, then maybe you should reconsider supporting him on that issue.

I mean I liked Obama but I called him on a lot of shit when he was factually doing things that hurt americans, mostly expansions of net monitoring and NSA programs (a civil rights attourney should know better, ya know?). You'd think other people would have the maturity to do the same with their candidate but sadly this seems to be a partisan mess of chanting and doing the "choo choo the trump train can't stop!" like motions.

I mean who the heck put's a candidate or government official in their avatar? I can't remember that in my memory online for ANY country, as an example, yet several members here are doing it today. Something about that is messed up to me. It's reminscent of something out of "Dear leader" land. It's almost unamerican to do that (aren't we supposed to hate officials or something?). It's frickin' bizzare.

That's why I think we need a blanket ban on politics. Including editors, avatars, the works. Because the few of us who can discuss it civil are apparently the vast minority. So even attempting to engage in it is pointless and will lead to conflict.

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Take your politics stuff to Reddit or 4chan. We’ve got enough brain dead fanatic hardware fans already can’t really risking make this place even more toxic if we go open season on politics posts. Lately it has been extremely bad in terms of toxicity in news discussions.

Also while we are at it, the news staff needs to work on curbing their ’love’ for clicky-baity titles.

No, we really haven't. I got a reply ban for one in which I was completely civil (that same linux newspost). I just assumed it was due to the "no politics" policy and went with it, but the rule really needs clarification because clearly, we aren't just allowed to discuss it.

They were going to (had the votes lined up to pass it and everything) had he not outright stated he wasn't going to sign that bipartisan attempt because "no wall money" and they decided not to waste their time, but meh, details eh?

So basically, yes. But it's ok, because the wall is going to be transparent as a concession to the apparent criticism of his lack of transparency. As in see through. (I swear, you can't make this shit up)

Probably because in this case one side has facts the other has rhetoric. I mean if the facts criticize your president, then maybe you should reconsider supporting him on that issue.

I mean I liked Obama but I called him on a lot of shit when he was factually doing things that hurt americans, mostly expansions of net monitoring and NSA programs (a civil rights attourney should know better, ya know?). You'd think other people would have the maturity to do the same with their candidate but sadly this seems to be a partisan mess of chanting and doing the "choo choo the trump train can't stop!" like motions.

I mean who the heck put's a candidate or government official in their avatar? I can't remember that in my memory online for ANY country, as an example, yet several members here are doing it today. Something about that is messed up to me. It's reminscent of something out of "Dear leader" land. It's almost unamerican to do that (aren't we supposed to hate officials or something?). It's frickin' bizzare.

That's why I think we need a blanket ban on politics. Including editors, avatars, the works. Because the few of us who can discuss it civil are apparently the vast minority. So even attempting to engage in it is pointless and will lead to conflict.

Edit: hate typing on phones with damn autocorrect

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Take your politics stuff to Reddit or 4chan.
Calm down dear. This is intended to be a polite discussion for grownups. Keep it that way, thanks.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2

Dear Mr. President,

When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again? When does Mexico pay for it, again?

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
And this is why no politics......

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Nothing wrong in supporting some body you believe in, how ever got to understand that no ones perfect.

Isn't the wall being payed by the USMCA deal with Mexico and Canada ?, like though the lower tariffs and such ?.

Trumps gotta hold his ground and i am glad he is and has clearly shown what idiots the other side's being. I have democratic friends just not hard left.

I am just glad i don't live in the UK any longer.

Hey maybe America should not of gave 54billion to other country's, in the end i seen much better things happening with Trump than the 3 president's.

As for Obama i don't even beieve should of been able to be a president in the first place.

Anyways i have nothing else to say as it's just better that way

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Man. You Americans and Brits sure make good entertainment when you get upset about your specific parties.

But yeah, no politics here imo. Look at Anandtech forums. Their Political section is so toxic, its unbelievable the things people write.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Isn't the wall being payed by the USMCA deal with Mexico and Canada ?, like though the lower tariffs and such ?.

If that could actually be substantiated it'd almost make up for it if he balanced the budget (since we are now considering other parts of our income to justify someone "paying for" something). But we're actually worse off there than before, so no way.

how ever got to understand that no ones perfect.
As for Obama i don't even beieve should of been able to be a president in the first place.

Well now you know how I feel about Trump. Difference is I never paraded Obama around like some sort of savior.

Trumps gotta hold his ground and i am glad he is and has clearly shown what idiots the other side's being.

I think that's going to backfire hard, but have fun making everyone mad with a shutdown and thinking it'll earn you votes...

And this is why no politics......

No, this whole thread is why no politics. That's the point. I'll quit gladly the day the rule becomes firm. And I mean both ways.

Dear Mr. President,
Take your politics stuff to Reddit or 4chan.

/r/woosh

Last edited:

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Last time I mentioned Trump, a thread got shut down. I'm a Canadian. I'm sorry but I'm allowed to hate the guy. But still... politics and hardware not a good idea. Another thread shut down?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I think it is always going to be a judgement call situation. You can't avoid getting into the politics sometimes... ...it's just a part of the world we live in and the things that happen in it. Sometimes, it's very much relevant. To use hyperbole a little, if we wanted to completely disallow political discussion, everyone would eventually be banned. Sometimes you literally can't not discuss it.

But I see a problem already, in this thread, even. There is a very big difference between commenting on the political situation directly related to the subject of the conversation, and simply using the discussion itself as a platform to make the conversation about one's own political views at the expense of simply discussing the relevant facts and possibilities. Instead of advancing towards something that benefits everyone, people start going in circles arguing over tangential bullshit, completely sandbagging the whole thing until it is not so much a meaningful conversation as it is a group of people standing in a circle up on their soapboxes.

Not singling anyone out. Everybody does it. I've done it. Political beliefs often sit at the core of a person... it's okay to be passionate, but there is a line where things become a total shitshow that accomplishes nothing worthwhile and really only drives people apart as well as turns away new people who may otherwise be interested in adding something that might actually count for something. Being a bit detached from the subject is good - and if you can't separate yourself from it, then engaging the conversation is not gonna be a good time for anyone involved. Basically it becomes this avalanche of people getting tunnel vision and steering the conversation in so many directions that it becomes impossible for there to be a truly good outcome. If you play that game, you lose. Because whether or not you want it to, the moment you put something out there, whether it be an opinion or merely a neutral observation, the conversation is now going to be about you and your views instead of what is actually happening.

I kinda like to think of it like this. In any conversation you have to ask yourself... are your actions serving the discussion being had and its implicit goals, or are you molding the conversation so that it serves you and what you want to say? It's a matter of intent. I think with politics people just get so lost in their views that they forget that it's not about how any one person feels about things! We all have strong views and feelings on shit happening in the world - it affects all of us. But when that personal side of the issue becomes the centerpiece of the conversation, things get real dumb and ugly. Every time. All too often people take advantage of the situation to make the conversation into something completely removed from what it ought to be, simply because they care more about saying their piece than making what they say a piece of something. Again, it's a matter of intent. People are understandably a little selfish when it comes to things a little closer to the heart. That needs to be tempered with situational awareness.

But you really do have to ask yourself before you speak... do you truly care to learn and understand or is it about simply bolstering your own view (in your mind and those of others?) There is a serious lack of tact here when it comes to this stuff. Just bad taste to bring your own political baggage into a discussion just because people happen to be gathering and discussing political issues. If everybody did that, we'd never get anywhere in terms of furthering our understanding of everything. Subjects would change with each post until nobody even remembers what we were supposed to be trying to hash out.

I'm ranting a little now. Maybe an example would help - this thread is about whether or not politics should be a part of the discussion linked in the OP, and how we as a community ought to approach subjects like that. But already it is becoming about whatever political issues people have on their minds. And on the flipside, the subject of this very thread has been used as a means of derailing other political discussions on here. Everybody wants to say their thing until things get too heated. And then inevitably, the calls of "We're not even supposed to be having these discussions here..." ring out. Intent, man. Can't say it enough.

And it doesn't ever have to be that way. I don't think political discussions are inherently bad. They're a part of any community. But they only work when everyone has decent self-control and is willing to occasionally set aside the only slightly related things on their minds in the name of pertinence to the task at hand. There's a time and a place for everything, yanno?

Last edited:

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
I understand TPU's policy of not talking politics and agree with it, in general. However, every now and then, politics impacts directly on the technology that we talk about on here, such as this article:

https://www.techpowerup.com/251297/u-s-government-shutdown-hits-several-ces-exhibitors-hard

In such a situation however, the politics of the situation is integral to the story, since it's caused it, so I think people should be allowed to talk about it, eg Trump's policies etc. In this case, it's Trump's controversial government shutdown adversely affecting CES. Not allowing it is ignoring the elephant in the room. Therefore, perhaps a slight revision to this forum rule is in order to allow politics discussion in the context of the specific story.

Let's have your opinion on this people, especially @W1zzard

We do tolerate it and let it continue as long as it is done in good taste especially in the news/editorial section. We start deleting comments and handing out reply bans and/or infraction when you start getting toxic about it and let your inner child take over (like a few that I know around here) :slap:

EDIT:
Cookie for you sir!!

But I see a problem already, in this thread, even. There is a very big difference between commenting on the political situation directly related to the subject of the conversation, and simply using the discussion itself as a platform to make the conversation about one's own political views at the expense of simply discussing the relevant facts and possibilities. Instead of advancing towards something that benefits everyone, people start going in circles arguing over tangential, completely sandbagging the whole thing until it is not so much a meaningful conversation as it is a group of people standing in a circle up on their soapboxes.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
But I see a problem already, in this thread, even. There is a very big difference between commenting on the political situation directly related to the subject of the conversation, and simply using the discussion itself as a platform to make the conversation about one's own political views at the expense of simply discussing the relevant facts and possibilities. Instead of advancing towards something that benefits everyone, people start going in circles arguing over tangential, completely sandbagging the whole thing until it is not so much a meaningful conversation as it is a group of people standing in a circle up on their soapboxes.

Yep. That's exactly why the whole matter needs a blanket ban.

like a few that I know around here

Hope that's not a jab at me. I may have gotten emotional in that thread I referenced but as far as I know I never went outright childish.

I'll be frank. The reason I am so vocal on this issue (and honestly, trolled this thread a bit to illustrate a point) is because I'm on the verge of leaving TPU over this very issue. I have been for months, actually. I just keep giving it a second go but this is a very real issue and several regulars have been in discussion with me about it (well, it and other things, but yeah).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Let's have your opinion on this people,

My opinion is you are being a troll and are using this thread to circumvent forum rules. You and many others acting in this way is why I quit writing reviews. How the two coincide is for you to figure out. :p

We do tolerate it and let it continue as long as it is done in good taste especially in the news/editorial section. We start deleting comments and handing out reply bans and/or infraction when you start getting toxic about it and let your inner child take over (like a few that I know around here) :slap:

EDIT:
Cookie for you sir!!

Then why have rules at all, if you're going to bend them as you see fit? Simply so you can boost your ego, perhaps? (serious questions).

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Then why have rules at all, if you're going to bend them as you see fit?

Isn't the whole purpose of this subforum for feedback on the site and rules?

Or do you mean bogmali's/the moderations selective enforcement? I agree if so.

I see no trolling here, other than mine. Which was quite poorly disguised.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Ok cool, thanks for the clarification. Seeing some of the childish, toxic posts and downvotes against me on here, it makes for an excellent example of why it’s normally banned. Personally, I’ve seen enough and am quite happy for this thread to be closed now.

@robot zombie thanks, I appreciate your well-reasoned post. That really added to the discussion. Shame some others ruin it. :rolleyes:

@cadaveca who are you calling a troll bro? The one trolling here is you. You can’t have a sensible discussion.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Isn't the whole purpose of this subforum for feedback on the site and rules?

I see no trolling here.
I don't see the rules up to discussion in W1zzard's private forum site. Comments and feedback are for the reviews on content provided. But maybe that's biased by what TPU has been for me.

For me, even questioning the rules, is disrespectful. :confused: You don't feel this way? Cool.

If you don't like them, oh well. I mean, this is what you all basically said anyway about what W1zz gives in reviews anyway, in a similar thread, recently, no? you get what you are given, take it and like it?

@cadaveca who are you calling a troll bro? The one trolling here is you. You can’t have a sensible discussion.

Who you calling bro? I am an only child thanks, or is that your sideways way of calling my mother a whore?

I have sensible meanuingful conversations all the time, just not with you, cous.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I don't see the rules up to discussion in W1zzard's private forum site. Comments and feedback are for the reviews on content provided. But maybe that's biased by what TPU has been for me.

Here's a good idea: Let's have him comment on that.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Then why have rules at all, if you're going to bend them as you see fit? Simply so you can boost your ego, perhaps? (serious questions).

@W1zzard will have to address that.....PM'd you.

Status
Not open for further replies.