• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

POLL: Classic Shell for Windows 10 ... whos using it?

Are you using Classic Shell with your Installation of Windows 10?

• Yes

• No

• Sometimes

• Another Application (Please List)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
This from start to finish lol. Stop living my life. I did use 3.1 as wel but at that time I hadn't the slightest clue what I was doing.

Ctrl+alt+del > Enter. The same as how it works on literally every Windows machine since 7 :)

Myself... I think I can't go back to the old Start menu.
View attachment 111401

It doesn't get much cleaner than this.. and for whatever is not there, I can just start typing. Even for the good old config panel:

View attachment 111402
So much this. There is a contingent that wont let go and move forward who needs to install and configure a 3rd party app, and there are those who took the time and followed the learning curve. :)

There isnt a right or wrong per say, but I'm glad I dont need to install another app! :)

System Name pote
Processor Amd 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte b650m aorus elite ax
Cooling Thermalright peerless assasin 120 se
Memory 32gb lexar 6000 cl32
Video Card(s) AMD XFX 580 8GB
Storage Lexar 2tb nvme gen4
Display(s) asus ips 24inch 1080p, LG OLED B9 4K120
Case Antec CRAP
Audio Device(s) REALTEK CRAP
Power Supply corsair 550w vx550
Mouse microsoft PROINTELLIMOUSE
Keyboard microsoft wireless
Software win11 PRO x64
cant stand start menu since win8 8.1 10, you cant even turn off your pc, it seems like a game, control panel hidden

classic shell for me always does the work, install and nothing else, i don't have to configure nothing, now open shell

System Name Dual Socket HP z820 Workstation
Processor Twin Intel Xeon E5 2673 v2 OEM processors (thats a total of 16C/32T)
Motherboard HP Dual Socket Motherboard
Cooling Stock HP liquid cooling
Memory 64GB Registered ECC memory kit (octal channel memory on this rig)
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X 8GB
Storage 2 x 512GB SSD in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 23" 75Hz Gaming monitors 1080P x2
Case Brushed Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Integrated (5.1)
Power Supply HP 1125W Stock PSU
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
You can change the start menu button with Classic Shell as well. You can also chose different skins for the start menu itself. And, just like start 10, you have three basic options for the start menu layout. Let's see some start 10 screenshots and see how the two compare!

Here is my go-to laptop running Classic Shell.

Capturestartmenu.PNG

And the options layout:
start menu options.PNG

EDIT:
Here is the Start 10 menu. I downloaded and installed the 30 day trial version but I definitely like the fit and finish of CS over Start 10.

Capturestartmenustart10.PNG

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Bill_Bright said:
I never did either. But I tried both Classic Shell and Start 10 extensively and I have consistently felt Start 10 (beginning with Start 8) always felt more polished and professional - as I would expect from a paid (even if only $5) product. CS works well, but it just seemed to me that it was trying to do too much and as such (to paraphrase a common expression) it was "A jack of all trades but a master of none." Whereas I felt Start10 did fewer things, only better.
I would argue the start menu from Classic Shell has a near identical fit and finish relative to that of Start 10s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in looking at the start 10 screenshots on their website I will even make the statement that Classic Shell has a better fit and finish and closer resembles an authentic "Microsoft" start menu.
I think it pretty obvious with my repeated use of "I felt" and "seemed to me" that I was expressing my opinion.

But to that, as I noted and you quoted, my "opinion" was based on me trying both CS and S10 "extensively". I did not base my opinion on website screen shots.

If you like CS better, fine. Use what works best for you.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think it pretty obvious with my repeated use of "I felt" and "seemed to me" that I was expressing my opinion.

But to that, as I noted and you quoted, my "opinion" was based on me trying both CS and S10 "extensively". I did not base my opinion on website screen shots.

If you like CS better, fine. Use what works best for you.
Yeah I didn't say you are wrong I was just pointing out some things I've noticed. You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. That's why I started the thread, I'm curious to see what folks are using and why. I appreciate the feedback and value your option.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah I didn't say you are wrong
Well, you pretty much did when you said,
...in looking at the start 10 screenshots on their website I will even make the statement that Classic Shell has a better fit and finish

Regardless your or my opinions, the facts are, Classic Shell's developer has abandoned this project with the stated reason being the demands on his resources to keep it current and compatible with the frequent changes that occur with W10 are just too great for him to continue. And, there does not "appear" to be much going on with Open Shell other than rebranding. Whereas Start10, on the other hand, is still under active development to keep it current and compatible with the ever evolving W10.

Yes, CS/OS is free, but $5 (sorry, looks like the $3 discounted price ended) for a lifetime Start10 license is hardly a budget buster. Yes, OpenShell has way more bells and whistles, but if, like many, you just want the old W7 Start menu and Desktop, you don't need the extra features and moving parts.

Again, whatever works best for you. And since Start10 has a free 30 day trial period, and uninstalls cleanly (yes, I tested that too), I see no reason not to try both and see which one works best for you.

In the meantime, my blue F150 can haul 10 sheets of plywood better than your red Silverado or silver RAM. ;)

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks, B_B. Some people like to point out the fact that C_S is obsolete over and over again and I like to point out it's positive attributes. Both aspect's deserve review and consideration, and it's okay to debate the finer points here; that's the whole purpose of this thread. It's a very subjective subject as we have 30 people who use Classic Shell versus 47 who don't.

It's okay to compare and contrast and that's my sole purpose with this starting this poll. I stand by my opinion and it looks like you stand by yours. I will continue to use classic shell as I prefer the fit and finish for my uses. And I prefer the start menu customizations offered by Classic Shell as well.

Once again, we can agree to disagree on this. In the mean time, I have downloaded Start 10 as a means to do a more through review on the topic at hand.

EDIT: I have now blended aspects from both Start 10 and Classic Shell to go for this custom look:
Capturesystem.PNG

2ND EDIT: Here is a great review of both Classic Shell and Start 10, where the author agrees with me that Classic Shell offers more for the inner tinkerer.
https://www.infoworld.com/article/2...-10-start-menus-start10-vs-classic-shell.html

Here is a quote from the article:
"Like Classic Shell, Start10 supports full hierarchical menus in the All Programs list, as you can see in Figure 9. But Start10 is much more limited in how those menu items can be manipulated."

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Once again, we can agree to disagree on this.
I am not disagreeing with you. In fact, I have said many times CS does more things. But make no mistake, Start10 let's you do a lot more than just restore W7's Start button menu and desktop.

I will continue to use classic shell as I prefer the fit and finish for my uses. And I prefer the start menu customizations offered by Classic Shell as well.
And that's fine - as long as the current developer's keep it updated and compatible. Just don't be shocked if some Wednesday morning you find CS no longer works.

But to be clear, where I do disagree with you is where you, by your own admission, have based your opinions and preferences by comparing your "use" of Classic Shell to viewing "screen shots" of Start 10. A fair comparison would be to give Start 10 and extended and unbiased try. Just because one program allows more manipulation than another, that does not imply one is better, or that the available extra options are needed or wanted.

the author agrees with me that Classic Shell offers more for the inner tinkerer.
Nor does one reviewer claiming one program provides more options for the tinkerer makes it a better Start menu alternative either. As the author notes, that's just his personal opinion. I note that same author says,
Woody Leonhard said:
Start10 is clearly the more sophisticated Start substitute, with lots of settings and customizing capabilities. It’s sleek in the default configuration, expandable, and eminently usable. The $5 price tag will pay for itself in the first two minutes.

So you can keep touting your favorite over the other if you want. But it seems to me that was not the purpose of this thread. And since I have tried both extensively and found I prefer Start10, and since I feel comfortable assuming Start10 will remain compatible in the foreseeable future, you are not going to change my mind.

For the record, one thing I did not like with Start 10 over Start 8 is the available start menu button images. I preferred the Win8start images. If anyone else did, here they are:

win8start.png win8start_large.png

Just copy them into your Start10 > StartButtons folder then select them from Start10's Style configuration menu. I use the Large set because I have my task bar set to 3 lines high to accommodate a 3-line date/day of the week/date system tray clock and my Quicklaunch toolbar. The larger buttons are a better fit, IMO.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
But to be clear, where I do disagree with you is where you, by your own admission, have based your opinions and preferences by comparing your "use" of Classic Shell to viewing "screen shots" of Start 10. A fair comparison would be to give Start 10 and extended and unbiased try. Just because one program allows more manipulation than another, that does not imply one is better, or that the available extra options are needed or wanted.
The screenshots offer a concise look as to what you get from the program and what it offers for the end user. And to be fair, I have in fact downloaded the 30 day trial to run further tests. At first blush, to me, the aesthetics of Start 10 are less desirable than those of Classic Shell and that CS closer resembles an authentic "Microsoft" start menu. But I will keep Start 10 around for some time to further compare the two.

Both are valuable programs and serve the community well and it would be wise to support both Open Shell and Start 10. Microsoft invested so much in the start menu and then they just decided to basically pull the plug, so it's nice to have options which redeem this invaluable feature.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The screenshots offer a concise look as to what you get from the program and what it offers for the end user.
Why are you trying to convince everyone your choice is better with this nonsense? No screen shot can convey the feel and function of how a program works. That can only be done with actual use.

I am glad you are actually trying it, but please stop trying to convince everyone CS is better. Its not. It just another good alternative.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
I use the Windows 10 start

I like the new look

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why are you trying to convince everyone your choice is better with this nonsense? No screen shot can convey the feel and function of how a program works. That can only be done with actual use.

I am glad you are actually trying it, but please stop trying to convince everyone CS is better. Its not. It just another good alternative.
To each their own, I can only provide my own insight and my own interpretation of both programs. If Start 10 is what you like, then keep using it. I totally respect that.

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org

I practically almost never use start menu

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
For those using Start 10, would anyone care to post up a screenshot of your start menu? I'm interested to see some of the customizations and variations.

@Bill_Bright @rtwjunkie

Why are you trying to convince everyone your choice is better with this nonsense?

Apparently, InfoWorld is also spewing nonsense because they too recommend Classic Shell over Start 10.

In case you want to read the article again, here is the link. InfoWorld Classic Shell Vs Start 10

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The nonsense is you! You making post after post after post trying to sell this product so hard as though it is the best thing since sliced bread. It's not. Its just another start menu replacements. Big whoopie! Even the author didn't see enough value in it to keep it going.

In case you missed it, see your own InfoWorld article again and note on page 5 where the Woody states,
Start10 is clearly the more sophisticated Start substitute, with lots of settings and customizing capabilities. It’s sleek in the default configuration, expandable, and eminently usable. The $5 price tag will pay for itself in the first two minutes.

But to that, do you see anywhere in this thread where I said Classic Shell was bad? Or that Start10 was better? No. The only problem I have with it is the developer stopped development on it. In fact, I even said in post #8 I never had any issue with CS. And I have repeatedly said if you like CS, fine. But that's not good enough for you. You continue to try to convince everyone CS is better. Fine! Glad you like it. And I hope Open Shell is a success. The competition will hopefully keep the Start10 developers interested in maintaining it as W10 keeps evolving.

Now move on please.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
Apparently you have a selective memory as well, because on page 1 you clearly state Start 10 comes out on top.

Also selective memory on the InfoWorld article. Here is a quote from the conclusion that you might have a problem with:

Nevertheless, I have to admit that the tinkerer in me prefers the full-on All Programs maneuverability built into Classic Shell. The ability to create my own folder hierarchies and easily move programs and folders among them, sorting in the way I prefer, puts Classic Shell ahead of Start10 in my book.

I rest my case. But I must be spewing nonsense right?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Apparently you have a selective memory as well, because on page 1 you clearly state Start 10 comes out on top.
I never said CS was bad. So now you have to "rest your case" by making stuff up? Or are you just hallucinating?

I said "I felt" Start 8/10 "felt" more polished and professional. And that "I felt" Start 10 "did fewer things better". I said Start 10 "works".

I also said StartIsBack is good. And the ideal is not which is better, but to avoid W10's UI. If you use CS's extra features, then "great".

But did you read your last quote? He said, because he is a tinkerer, he prefers CS. But that same person said Start 10 is clearly more sophisticated. That goes along with the "polished and professional" comment I actually did say on page one.

So my case is this, if you want a W10 start menu and UI alternative, I prefer Start10. But Classis/Open shell is a nice alternative, so is StartIsBack.

Case Brushed Aluminium
Mouse gaming mouse
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows 10 Pro
I never said you said CS was bad, not sure where that is coming from. Only you implying Start 10 is better.

Yes, they are all good programs as you mentioned but when I point out the positive attributes of Classic Shell it's suddenly "nonsense" and that doesnt really doesn't hold water considering the full picture given by the article.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Seems the thread has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.