• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Portable HDD

Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
A friend of the family had a portable HDD that would not show up when connected to a PC. So, I removed the hard drive out of the enclosure. When I plugged it up, I didn't hear anything. I knew that the R/W head was stuck. I very carefully took off the top cover and moved the R/W head off the platter and put back on the parking ramp. Now, the drive is detected when plugged in! However, it needs to be formatted. I do not want to do that because there is data on the drive that needs to be backed up.

What can I do? I used EaseUS and this is what it displays.

I don't have enough room on any of my HDD's to do a DD image of the drive. So should I just go ahead and format it then try to recover the data?

Attachments

• lost.PNG
    lost.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 338
Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
I didn't realize there was another post almost identical to mine. I also didn't know that the drive required the USB adapter to be connected in order to read the drive. I connected the hard drive VIA a USB to SATA connector. I'm so glad I looked around the forum. Even though no one replied to my post (because it was almost a duplicate posting), I am so glad helpful and knowledgeable people are so willing to lend a hand

Attachments

• Got IT.PNG
    Got IT.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 356