1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Positive pressure case

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by SK-1, Jan 16, 2007.

1. SK-1

Thanks Received:
    I hear they keep out the dust.Anyone have any experience with this?
    I may give it a try due to bad dust bunnys!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    They will if you put filters on the fans you use to pressureize the case. I think it's best to have exhaust fans for better heat dissipation though.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Sounds reasonable to me:)
    Thanks for the reply.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. lufrey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure positive air pressure in the case also increases the ambient temperature inside. Can't remember where I read it from tho.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Be very careful with the term "positive pressure". The increased pressure created by the fan inside the case is approximately ZERO. What is really happening is the creation of localised air movement/turbulence, and it encourages air to be drawn in from this source... rather than other "holes" if there is a corresponding exit fan elsewhere in the case.

Use fans for "local" extraction of air from hot spaces. If you have a "suck air in" fan... then this should only be used as part of a wind tunnel within the case.

Remember the golden rules:

1./ Get hot air out of the case asap so that the average temperature in the case is as close to room temperature as possible
    2./ Taking localised hot air out of the case is much more effective than random air exchange
    3./ A managed "wind tunnel" or "chimney" effect is much more effecive than random turbulence

There are many people building cases with literally hundreds of fans blowing in and out... with no real consideration for the air "flow" within the case... and making sure that the air flow is such that hot air is removed from the case within the shortest distance.

>>> ALWAYS have an exit fan close to the CPU. Even a slow silent fan can make a BIG BIG difference and will stop hot air collecting at the top of the case... ever expanding... and pushing cold air OUT of the bottom!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    When I get my Antec Nine Hundred Case this Thursday, then I should be good to go with thermals and airflow :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, from what i understand, my fan setup isnt so great. anything i can do to improve it?
    There are 2 80 mm intake side by side, a Zalman CNPS 9500 AM2, 1 120 MM exhaust fan, and 1 80 mm intake fan on my case door pointed at the hdd/mobo, 1 80 mm exhaust fan on the top of my case, and the ones in the PSU, Vidcard, and mobo. hope thats not too confusing lol

10 Year Member at TPU