• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Posready

Status
Not open for further replies.

wittmann

OK, its been around since last May, but it seems to be a touchy subject with Forums. They either delete the thread or lock it. Well lets see what "No Nonsense" does.

It is the only time in my experience that a hacker has produced something that benefits many thousands of users who hang on to their beloved Windows XP like I do. This simple hack gives the user and extra 5 years of MS support until 2019 for free. Business users have to pay MS for this extension.

See :-

http://www.zdnet.com/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp-7000029851/

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...p-hack-resurrects-patches-for-retired-os.html

It all obviously amounts to :-

"Bring up regedit. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\. Create a new Key called PosReady. Right click the new key and add a new DWORD with the value 1. Then go through the Windows Update procedure and a list of back updates will be listed, which you install."

I presume that from then on, Windows XP updates will be applied automatically as normal. It looks like you have to do this :-

1. Start>run>regedit
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - expand
3. SYSTEM - expand
4. WPA is at bottom of SYSTEM list
5. Create new key = Posready - right click
6. Add new DWORD = 00000001

Question ? Ha anybody tried this and if so, does it work ?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
This has been up before, and iirc there's no telling how long it'll work, or exactly what will work, because even if they are pretty much the same systems ... they're not exactly alike. And it's not the same thing as the bussiness are paying big bucks for.

wittmann

This has been up before, and iirc there's no telling how long it'll work, or exactly what will work, because even if they are pretty much the same systems ... they're not exactly alike. And it's not the same thing as the bussiness are paying big bucks for.
Just curious.

General reports are good and one guy put this hack on a clients PC and said it worked perfectly.
It must be pretty sound if MS are throwing tantrums about it and all the web articles I have read are all favorable. Why should MS get so upset about an OS they killed off if this hack does not resurrect the body back to life ? Nah, it works OK, otherwise MS would give a million reasons why it will not and they have`nt done that. But I am interested in what users have to say who have carried out the fix, not to listen to the MS chorus.

The point is that from all accounts it will work, albeit that XP is not identical with the business Poready machines, but it is a mere gnats knee cap different and there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. I have not seen a single comment that this hack does not work.

It is only a tiny Registry fiddle, if it does not work, then just undo the fix. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I use Sanboxie for browsing, so I don`t give a toss for MS`s security updates, but if pushed I will definitely hack it.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
The tantrum they did throw was echoed by me.

It'll probably work, but I still wouldn't bother, or recommend it to anyone. It's still a genetic throwback in a nuclear world.

Processor Intel® Celeron® Processor G1101
Motherboard Supermicro® MBD-C7SIM-Q-B
Memory 8 GB Silicon Power SP004GBLTU133N02/W02
Video Card(s) Sapphire FirePro™ 2270 + AMD Radeon™ HD 8740
Storage 1000 GB Toshiba P300 HDWD110UZSVA
Display(s) 29" LG 29UM57-P
Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
Power Supply 650W XFX XXX Edition (P1-650X-XXB9)
Software Windows Server 2016
It is only a tiny Registry fiddle, if it does not work, then just undo the fix. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Unless the new update marks for delete one of the system-related services in order to rewrite its libraries on the next boot, but the new ones don't take the existence of additional Windows XP networking features into account and you end up having a permanent BSOD relating to your NDIS driver.
Computer enthusiasts are great people, but the advices they give are not something you should always listen to. These updates won't bring any new platform features, while you can stay relatively safe even without security updates while you have a pro-active security software (free solutions like Microsoft Security Essentials are good enough).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
OK, its been around since last May, but it seems to be a touchy subject with Forums. They either delete the thread or lock it.

That's probably because it violates Microsoft's EULA and pushes a gray area of legality.

But seriously, just ditch XP. There really is no good reason to keep using it at this point.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's probably because it violates Microsoft's EULA and pushes a gray area of legality.

I actually read the EULA the first time I installed XP. :laugh: How is it phrased?

wittmann

But seriously, just ditch XP. There really is no good reason to keep using it at this point.
My XP is working impeccably and as long as it does it stays.

There is plenty a good tune played on an old fiddle.

All I have heard so far here is to dump XP. With a global market share of almost 24% nearly a quarter of world OS usage, so I am not alone. Such advise is ludicrously irresponsible..

This thread is about keeping it going, not dumping it.

And regardless of the negative comments so far, my information is that Posready does in general work successfully. I could not care less about any EULA`s, legal considerations or violations. If I have to hack it, I will hack it, just like many thousands more XP enthusiasts will do and there is nothing anybody can do about it.
Congratulations to the brilliant hacker who made it all possible.

If all I am going to get from this subject on this Forum is advice to dump XP, then I appeal to some Mod to close the thread, I am just wasting my time.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
wittmann you are a danger to your self and the internet as a whole not only is XP "bot-net bait" its "dirty" in-general
you are also ignorant there is no hacking" going on here just a simple registry flag the fact that you think that's "brilliant" just shows how much of a fool you are and pretty much kills any credibility you had
finally 24% of garbage is still garbage the mods here will tell you the same thing as you have been told on other threads on other sites (I Google'd you)
XP is dated its slower then win7 or win eight on the same hardware and if the hardware is older then some-flavor-of-Linux is probably a better alternative
finally it is indeed illegal and if you think for a second that that the mods are gonna help you with that you are sadly mistaken

./requesting lock and infraction for op for promoting illegal activity

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Wittmann=nitwit/nowit.
You must be completely blind to the fact wxp is a security threat and should be dumped.
w7 was the first os to be quicker than w98se on athlon xp/p4.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro

All I have heard so far here is to dump XP. With a global market share of almost 24% nearly a quarter of world OS usage, so I am not alone. Such advise is ludicrously irresponsible..

And regardless of the negative comments so far, my information is that Posready does in general work successfully. I could not care less about any EULA`s, legal considerations or violations. If I have to hack it, I will hack it, just like many thousands more XP enthusiasts will do and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

If all I am going to get from this subject on this Forum is advice to dump XP, then I appeal to some Mod to close the thread, I am just wasting my time.

It doesn't matter if you like it. It's still a mess at this point, from every point of view. Have an old computer that can't even handle Windows 7 (which is pretty light)? Linux is your friend. And us being connected at all times makes it even worse, for everyone.

EDIT: I'm all for namecalling, but COOL IT GUYS (there I said it)!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64

Appeal considered, agreed and thread closed :) All I would suggest to the Op is that he be careful what he says in any further threads in other forums, some less friendly than us may feel the need to record your IP address/ISP and pass the information as well as the kind of evidence I have underlined above to "Big Brother" I would suggest there is something they could do about it once you have posted what you have...... have a nice day and stay safe! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.