• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible hardware persistent malware

EntropicLocal

Hi, roughly 2 years ago someone decided to get very very upset online with me, this person knew my exact hardware and what software I ran. Roughly a couple months ago I suspect a file I had received was a rootkit from them; however I have no real way of telling. However I am not comfortable with just formatting my drives, as I know this user would've thought about that already. I am thinking of the worst possible outcome where all infectable hardware is infected.

How would I go about completely nuking every single piece of hardware I have to start fresh and make sure nothing is compromised?

Thank you.

System Name Gaming Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard AsRock X570 Steel Legend
Cooling DeepCool CASTLE 280EX
Memory G.Skill Trident Z - 32GB [2 x 16GB] @ 3600MHz C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 [waiting to upgrade]
Storage 1 x MSI M480 1TB NVMe [Boot] + 2 x WD 16TB SATA HDD @ Raid1 [Games & Data]
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q @ 1440p / 120Hz
Case Deepcool MATREXX 70 3F
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard Sound with Earphones
Power Supply Cooler Master 850W
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech Internet Keyboard Y-SS60 [it's really old, but my fingers reject any other keyboard]
VR HMD -
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Usually most hardware will not be infected except for your data storage devices. You can run a free online rootkit remover such as MalwareBytes and others. Those should be able to clean out your connected storage devices including your boot drive. After these are cleaned up, you can run the installed version of a good anti-rootkit / anti-virus software for your USB drives, etc.

EntropicLocal

Usually most hardware will not be infected except for your data storage devices. You can run a free online rootkit remover such as MalwareBytes and others. Those should be able to clean out your connected storage devices including your boot drive. After these are cleaned up, you can run the installed version of a good anti-rootkit / anti-virus software for your USB drives, etc.
I want to just wipe my pc out entirely, just to be safe as there's nothing I dont have backed up regardless. I'm just concerned about bios malware persisting after I format these drives.

Storage 1 x MSI M480 1TB NVMe [Boot] + 2 x WD 16TB SATA HDD @ Raid1 [Games & Data]
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech Internet Keyboard Y-SS60 [it's really old, but my fingers reject any other keyboard]
VR HMD -
From what limited knowledge I have, I don't think a virus or malware can get into your BIOS without specific hardware level access. It shouldn't be able to get into your BIOS under normal circumstances. Have you got any indication that it has corrupted your motherboard or graphics card BIOSes? Otherwise, I don't feel that that issue should be a concern.

Up to my knowledge, hardware level infections need specific bypass/exploits and direct access to hardware itself (read in person). Unless you were running your PC without any security or antivirus it is pretty hard to do over file deployment.
At most the MBR (masterboot record) and system volume information on each drive may be corrupted. Using scans by malwarebytes, Kaspersky free, and Sophos Home (which has same level protection as their corporate one damm good ransomware and antivirus protection) I believe you should be fine. Just in case keep Sophos home installed. Also, you can format and reinstall windows for that added peace.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I do remember this thread though:

EntropicLocal

I do remember this thread though:
That is whats somewhat concerning me, I just want someone to help me on how I would flash my bios and format the drives to make sure everything is gone

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Up to my knowledge, hardware level infections need specific bypass/exploits and direct access to hardware itself (read in person). Unless you were running your PC without any security or antivirus it is pretty hard to do over file deployment.
At most the MBR (masterboot record) and system volume information on each drive may be corrupted. Using scans by malwarebytes, Kaspersky free, and Sophos Home (which has same level protection as their corporate one damm good ransomware and antivirus protection) I believe you should be fine. Just in case keep Sophos home installed. Also, you can format and reinstall windows for that added peace.
From what limited knowledge I have, I don't think a virus or malware can get into your BIOS without specific hardware level access. It shouldn't be able to get into your BIOS under normal circumstances. Have you got any indication that it has corrupted your motherboard or graphics card BIOSes? Otherwise, I don't feel that that issue should be a concern.

The only thing that bothers me here is, for example Win 10 upon installation will write a bit of code to the BIOS for checking to see if the board has been changed making the install "Invalid", requiring reactivation of the OS.
An exploit based on that could well manipulate the board's BIOS and I can promise you those that create malware have already thought of that along with other angles of access that's possible to use. I do agree, that would be a specific type of exploit but it's still possible and a real threat because of that.

Malware really doesn't have to be based on hiding within the drive itself, it can be anywhere in the system inside of a piece (BIOS chip for example) that holds info for system operation.
Remember other things like a GPU has these chips too and are a possible target and you can force a flash of these using the flashing software under normal circumstances too.

With the right routine used they could also use that as an exploit and force the BIOS chip, where it's in the board, GPU or just anything else with a BIOS type chip to accept changes which would be the insertion of such malware code.

I'm not saying this is the case here, only that the possibility exists and guys that write this crap aren't dumb and would have considered a good deal of angles to use before deploying the malware.
Just ask our resident toad about such possibilities.

Speaking of such:
@R-T-B You wanna weigh in on this?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Hi, roughly 2 years ago someone decided to get very very upset online with me, this person knew my exact hardware and what software I ran.
Do you know this person personally? If not, then it is extremely unlikely they knew as much about your system as you fear. They probably just had a lucky guess based on some information you posted about your system before.

And just because and even if someone knows which motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics solution, operating system and other programs you run, that IN NO WAY means they can access first your network, then your computer and then plant malware on your computer. That would be very challenging, even for a pro who is specifically and personally targeting you.

I am not saying it is impossible, but essentially, you would have to allow them access to your computer. This would have to be done by you clicking on an unsolicited link in an spam email they intentionally sent to you. Or they would have to be a next door neighbor or a stranger sitting in a car out front on your street pointing a directional antenna at your house AND you didn't change your wifi passphrase from the default. And note, that would only get them into your network, not your computer. Or they would need to physically connect via Ethernet cable to your network and hopefully you would notice a bad guy sitting in your house doing that. Or last, you left your computer unattended at a coffee shop and this person, who was following you around town, sat down at your computer when you went to the bathroom.

The most likely scenario, if it happened at all, is you fell victim to a "socially engineered" con that tricked you into clicking on an unsolicited link, letting the malware in. This is commonly done by the bad guy sending spam that looks like it came from a legitimate source, like your bank or Walmart, etc. They send it to millions of people, hoping someone will take the bait. The email will claim your account was some how messed up and you need to click some link. That link then infects your computer or asks you to provide your log-in credentials, passwords, account numbers, etc. That information is then sent back to the bad guys.

Even if you were tricked to click on such an unsolicited link, fully updated operating systems and anti-malware programs, and even current browsers are pretty good at blocking the malicious activity.

Sadly, you have not told us anything about this computer - such as the OS. Hopefully it is Windows 10 (or at least W7) and you keep it fully updated. And hopefully, you didn't disable Microsoft Defender (formally Windows Defender) and then didn't install a capable alternative security solution. And you keep your security solution fully updated AND you are not "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, attachments, links and popups. And finally, you changed the default passwords and passphrases to your computer and network to something not obvious. If you did that, then I highly doubt a person you knew infected your computer. It is just not that simple.

I recommend you make sure your operating system and security are fully updated. Change your wifi passphrase, computer passwords, and passwords to your banks and other important sites. Use a password manager so you only have to remember the password to the password manager. Don't write passwords down.

Use a supplemental scanner to verify you (the user and ALWAYS weakest link in security), or your primary solution didn't let something slip by. I typically recommend Malwarebytes for that.
Roughly a couple months ago I suspect a file I had received was a rootkit from them;
Back to this. How did you receive it? Did you open and run it?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
The only thing that bothers me here is, for example Win 10 upon installation will write a bit of code to the BIOS for checking to see if the board has been changed making the install "Invalid", requiring reactivation of the OS.
No, it just composes a hash of your hardware and checks it against a database. It does not write anything to uefi.

@R-T-B You wanna weigh in on this?
Not to be rude, but OP has his answer in the following question:

"Am I a high value target?"

If no, you are probably safe with a reinstall. If yes, burn it and start over, you probably have the money anyways and it'll be less stressful.

EntropicLocal

No, it just composes a hash of your hardware and checks it against a database. It does not write anything to uefi.

If no, you are probably safe with a reinstall. If yes, burn it and start over, you probably have the money anyways and it'll be less stressful.
I will flash my bios and format all the drives (I am using Windows 10), thank you for the help.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

And that's why I asked for your input. :)
Good to know it doesn't actually write to the BIOS and that's a good thing.

EntropicLocal

I do have one last question if you fellas don't mind, can a USB stick with Windows get infected by another pc or by the same pc? Thanks.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
In theory, yes. It's best to make the install usb on a known clean machine.

Mouse Logitech G402
VR HMD -
You can also make the install USB write protected, just to be sure it won't get the virus written onto it when you try to re-install the OS on the infected machine. There's a setting in the OS that does it, iirc. Please check for it on the clean machine after you make the install USB.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
There's a setting in the OS that does it, iirc.
Not that I know of, and I would not trust a software write protect with a malware infested machine anyways.

Some sdcards and usb sticks have a hardware write protect switch though.

Mouse Logitech G402
VR HMD -
Valid point about not relying on a software lock.

I had one instance where someone I knew had sent me a write protected USB stick, and when I had asked, I remembered being told there is some way to do it in the OS. But, I guess I'm wrong. I did check with a USB stick on my system and there does not seem to be any way to lock it. May be some additional software or app he used.

I didn't know that SDCards and USB sticks come with hardware locks! Useful info :)

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I do have one last question if you fellas don't mind, can a USB stick with Windows get infected by another pc or by the same pc? Thanks.
yea, since most usb drive have no write protect lock to protect it from something like malware, that's one reason i still burn some in dvd

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I know this might sound crazy but..

In 2002 I knew a guy, we drank together and took a sheet metal fabrication course together. He was hardcore. He hid stuff in university recycle bins, all kinds of stuff. He told me so much stuff I still have no clue what he was talking about. Like dark web shit before there even was a dark web. He got me a working copy of a really high end Cad/Cam software that was used to start a business (now the owner pays btw), anything I wanted. Anything. He was a member of some prominent groups. They supplied him with hardware.. he didn't have a job.. but ate good food and had nicer clothes. He showed me what he used to do but I wasn't into computers back then so I don't know what he was doing exactly. Anyways, one day he was freaking out saying the CIA wanted to talk to him and that they were coming, and he wanted me to hold on to a hard drive.. I said no way.. of course.. lol.. so it got hidden in a cubby somewhere in the rooming house he was in. I could have sworn he was full of shit, but the panic was genuine. We had a couple of beers that night, and that was the last time I saw him. We were supposed to go for a bike ride the next day. Looking back it is still some pretty crazy shit, I don't even know if I believe it even still.. But I haven't seen him since 2002, he just vanished. None of our mutual friends have heard from him either. He didn't complete the course with me. I do know his family owned some kind of computer business, and he had been around them since he was young.. he was a very smart guy. But you wouldn't know it to look at him..

Your panic reminded me of his panic..

EntropicLocal

I know this might sound crazy but..

In 2002 I knew a guy, we drank together and took a sheet metal fabrication course together. He was hardcore. He hid stuff in university recycle bins, all kinds of stuff. He told me so much stuff I still have no clue what he was talking about. Like dark web shit before there even was a dark web. He got me a working copy of a really high end Cad/Cam software that was used to start a business (now the owner pays btw), anything I wanted. Anything. He was a member of some prominent groups. They supplied him with hardware.. he didn't have a job.. but ate good food and had nicer clothes. He showed me what he used to do but I wasn't into computers back then so I don't know what he was doing exactly. Anyways, one day he was freaking out saying the CIA wanted to talk to him and that they were coming, and he wanted me to hold on to a hard drive.. I said no way.. of course.. lol.. so it got hidden in a cubby somewhere in the rooming house he was in. I could have sworn he was full of shit, but the panic was genuine. We had a couple of beers that night, and that was the last time I saw him. We were supposed to go for a bike ride the next day. Looking back it is still some pretty crazy shit, I don't even know if I believe it even still.. But I haven't seen him since 2002, he just vanished. None of our mutual friends have heard from him either. He didn't complete the course with me. I do know his family owned some kind of computer business, and he had been around them since he was young.. he was a very smart guy. But you wouldn't know it to look at him..

Your panic reminded me of his panic..
Very sorry that had to happen to you

EntropicLocal

Would anyone here be able to analyse a wireshark or glasswire log to determine such a thing?

System Name Howling_Fjord
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2640 v3 @ 3398.39 MHz
Motherboard Huananzhi X99-F8
Cooling Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P, Fans Corsair AF120
Memory 16Gb (2x8) Micron Technology + 32Gb (2x16Gb) P/N: atermiter
Video Card(s) AMD Sapphire TOXIC R9 280X OC, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
Storage SSD NVMe 250Gb +NVMe 1Tb + 2x 2Tb HDD+ SSD 1TB KingDian +SSD 240Gb
Display(s) Samsung 7.2 inches (18.3 cm) / 1280 x 720 pixels @ 23-60 Hz
Case Mymax Full Tower Horus black
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply Cougar Gx 800W 80Plus Gold
Mouse -
Keyboard -
Software Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Enterprise LTSB 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/h7nzby https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=328097
That is whats somewhat concerning me, I just want someone to help me on how I would flash my bios and format the drives to make sure everything is gone
Only thing I can say to you is to be very very careful when you flash your mobo or gpu bios, any power loss or power spikes and your components are done.