• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible to use different ThrottleStop Turbo Power Limit settings for different profiles?

Ryzen_Mike

I have an Alienware M15 with a 9750H, temps are hot, I know its normal. It concerns me tho because I only have one year warranty and Dell only warranties if it hits 101c. I'm normally at 99c to 100c during heaving loads and even sometimes at idle. Honestly for a $2k plus computer, that's a huge risk after a warranty that ends in a year. However unlikely or implausible to fry my computer after the warranty expires is just not worth it. I managed to use ThrottleStop to bring temps down to a max of about 85c during gaming, stress test, etc. I have it set to hold the cpu at 4 - 4.1Ghz all the time. I thought when you made a performance and battery profile you could set different values for each but it seems that the values in the Turbo Power Limit section don't allow this. Its a once it's set its set kinda thing.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have a battery profile setup using my existing values with the max frequency at say 2 - 2.5ghz and the minimum at a few hundred Mhz. Its currently at a min 4 and a max of 4.1Ghz. The only way I know so far to get this to work is to either change it manually everytime I change battery profiles or to make another config file and have 1 for Battery Longevity and 1 for Performance then swap those everytime.

Was also thinking of duplicating the install in another folder. Right now its in program files (x86), thought of adding one in program files and when I want to switch profiles end the running ThrottleStop and start the other. I could see it working but could also see potential issues. Am I pretty much stuck with those 3 options or is there something else I'm missing?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
What's the sole purpose of this laptop?

Ryzen_Mike

It was mainly for school and to game away from home. Now I mainly use it to multitask or to game on if my desktop is running stability tests or something else. I was thinking of trying to use it for twitch but not sure yet.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Anything dealing with games I would of gotten a laptop with ample cooling, a desktop replacement. They were thick as some text books but never overheated.

Benchmarks are for quick testing. Id use the desktop for gaming and the notebook for work.

Update the topic title to incorporate throttlestop.

My school notebook has a performance slider, with 4 values, 10 hrs is the max it will get at lp settings. 8 at high performance.

However tbf if you ever game or twitch for extended time i would have it plugged in,

Also change tpl to Turbo Power Limit and include the cpu/laptop model involved

Last edited:

Ryzen_Mike

True about the cooling but most laptops in general as far as gaming tend to run hot. I use a cooler pad with mine. I haven't had issues with overheating I just don't like it being at the max temp limit all the time during gaming.

Yea it power and thermal throttles but its pointless running that high when I can run the same speed and maybe hit 90c max. I mainly run my games on the desktop but I OverClock a lot to maximize performance, my memory stability tests usually run about 7 hours.

So its nice to play games on the laptop while those are going. I've been trying to hit 3466mhz but no luck yet, at 3333mhz right now. I added the rest of the info, laptop model and cpu are in the first sentence. As far as having it plugged in I usually do, I try to strike a balance n unplug it then let it drain to about 20% and recharge it just to try n get a lil more out of the battery.

I know some laptops have a internal switch so when the laptop is plugged in and fully charged it cuts off current and runs off the AC Adapter. Pretty sure mine doesn't have that lol.