• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possibly bricked RX 5700?

Processor Intel i7 11700F
Motherboard Asrock B560 Pro4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB NVMe
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Power Supply XFX Pro Series 750W
Not 100%, no.
It was ~10 months ago since started looking at mining BIOSes and the one thing I remember compared to Polaris BIOS edits was that I couldn't reduce the minimum vcore less than a certain amount. I can't remember if it was 800mv or 750mv but there was an artificially-imposed floor in the BIOS that could be tweaked with MPT.

I don't have any cards left running stock BIOSes to check, but it looks like I picked 725mv as the new lowest limit just to give myself wiggle room during tweaking. I'm sure one or two of my cards are way better than average based on the bell curve of normal distribution but I don't have time to find the optimum clock/voltage and stability test iterations for 24 cards - that's a big project!

I just know from when I was running a 5700XT for gaming that 750mv is usually the lowest it was stable at game clocks (ie, not 300MHz 2D mode) and whilst 1500MHz+ likely needs ~1000mv, you should be able to get 1250-1350 without really raising voltage at all. I set 775mv typically because although some cards will run at 750 just fine, I kind of just need to keep things simple when dealing with 24 cards at once. I can only imagine the database of tweaks large mining farm operators have to keep up with - that's probably their full-time job!

Anyway, getting the best voltage/clocks is good but remember that you're never going to make massive differences to your overall power consumption - and the power numbers reported are just the power the GPU and VRAM are consuming so you still need to add ~10-20W to that for the VRM inefficiencies and the cooling fan depending on how fast it's running.

With the goal of seeking the optimum power efficiency to save that last couple of Watts, just remember that your CPU, RAM, case fans, SSD, all use like 50-100W and then the whole system is running off a power supply that is only 90% efficient so that's another 20W+ wasted.

Bascially, power use is proportional to the square of the voltage. Get the card clocked as high as you can whilst keeping the voltage as close to 750mv as you can get away with and remember that stability is more important than the last 1-2% :)
Yeah it makes sense lowering the allowed values to test it out in the first months the card is out. And few years back you could underclock the core a lot more than you can now too, so back then you could effectively run with lower voltages than you can these days. But since it's 2022 and there's way more mining benchmarks for this card than I need, I knew I didn't need to touch the core voltage min limits before I started the last bios mod (where I added your tRef recommendations). For some the XT and non-XT versions flashed with XT, people undervolt the memory too and maintain speed and stability but with a reference non-xt that's a bad idea so I didn't bother changing the minimums there either! The XT already comes with a BIOS that allows lower voltage on mem on max P state, I think 750mV. So people figured it can prob handle 800mV, rather than the default 850mV. This decreases memory temps but increases the memory voltage controllers' temps :laugh:

As for the consumption parts yeah absolutely. First of all I measure from the wall always, specially since the single-zombie-card-rig is running a 6700K just because I had it laying around and honestly the cheap original mining rig cpu (celeron) is so slow it actually drives me crazy when fine tunning, even with SSD or flash drive. So I compared that to the 6700K fully tunned down and it's unbelievably faster with only about 5% more power consumption and 0 heat difference with the original stock cooler and thermal paste (was covered don't worry :laugh:) and said "why the hell not?". All of this is much easier with a wall meter, since a better cpu might mean more power consumption in other places too it was the only way to be sure too. So yeah I know exactly what the system uses with and without the card, when I say "it went down by 3%" or something like that, that's from the wall :)

Seems stable at 1280@775mV, 900 mem! Which brings me back to topic (sorry I love the mining chatter too but we might be going a bit off-topic here :laugh: )
The card has been alive for over 30h! Incredible :) Once again thanks to everyone that tried to help one way or another. I'll try not to be another single question disappearing dude and stick around, maybe I can help someone else with a less hardware/electronics related subject :)

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
No need to worry about going OT, this is your thread. The card's fixed (or at least you know exactly how it's broken so you can make the best of what you've got).

I hear you on mining rigs. My old RX480 rig from 5 years ago was running windows 7 and had an Ivy Bridge Celeron G1600-something. 2 cores, no hyperthreading - When I dug it up last year to start ETH mining I realised how badly dual-cores have aged!

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello guys
I am using my 4 years old rig with 12 cards (10x 580 4gb and 2 470 4gb)
I have this rig since feb 2018 and i am kinda underclock those cards and undervoltage them
I am not a pro but here are my settings and my temps:

Attachments

• RX580 and RX470 rig config mining.jpg
    RX580 and RX470 rig config mining.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 43
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Hello guys
I have this rig since feb 2018 and i am kinda underclock those cards and undervoltage them
I suppose you're mining ETC with those 4GB cards? Back in the day you could push the 580 higher with more or less the same power consumption. I used to run the RX 570s with the core undervolted to 775mV. They would get around 31MH/s with 70-75w power consumption. If nothing has changed for those cards, you can get 32.5MH/s with the same 70-75w consumption. It ends up with ever-so-slightly less kH/w then what you have though, so nice job on that efficiency!! Which by the way I suspect you have BIOS modded with undervolt on memories, never seen 580s consuming below 70w with the core voltage at 825mV, especially knowing my 570s would consume 70-75w at 775mV, you're running yours 50mV higher but with much less consumption :)

No need to worry about going OT, this is your thread. The card's fixed (or at least you know exactly how it's broken so you can make the best of what you've got).

I hear you on mining rigs. My old RX480 rig from 5 years ago was running windows 7 and had an Ivy Bridge Celeron G1600-something. 2 cores, no hyperthreading - When I dug it up last year to start ETH mining I realised how badly dual-cores have aged!
Yeah it's not only the amount of cores. My 6700K is a quad-core with 8 threads, but to reduce power consumption in the "rig" it's tunned down to basically only use 2 cores (and hyperthreading off). It's about the quality and speed of those cores, the celeron is just the very bottom of the quality table. Of course half of this slowness doesn't happen in Linux, this is a windows only issue as usual :laugh: Haven't tried windows 10 with that celeron, but don't think it will improve whatsoever.

@Chrispy_ some updates... The thermal paste that we put in the hardware shop just to try it out after the reflow was probably crappy. Core temps went down by almost 20ºC with "Coolermaster Mastergel pro" which isn't even close to some of the best thermal pastes out there... :laugh:

New temps: 46-47ºC Core, 53-54ºC hotspot, 78-80Mems.

Now the weird part.. Mem temps actually went up to 84-86 after properly tightening the heatsink. I had to start experimenting with lowering the mem voltage (850 -> 825) which helped at least maintaining the previous mem temps.. The screw holes are probably not well thought and the pressure applied to the gpu removes pressure from other places. Otherwise I can't explain this, if the heatsink is NOT well tight, core temps go up (as expected) but mem temps go down... I might need to do some pressure tests, find out where contact is not proper and use 1.5mm pads in that side (i.e. a cluster of memory chips)..
Any advice?

PS: on the plus side, total power consumption went down. Memories consume more than I though, just 25mV less resulted in total power draw of ~108W from ~120W (driver numbers not wall numbers).

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Hello guys
At this point I'd be tempted to sell off your 4GB cards.

You can probably get €250+ for each card and that's €3000 that you will not gain from ETC which is basically a dead, abandoned currency at this point.

The alternative is to speculatively mine some random altcoins in the hope they one day get big enough to be worth something in the future, but your RX580s are worth €3000 right now, today.

Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Hello
I suppose you're mining ETC with those 4GB cards? Back in the day you could push the 580 higher with more or less the same power consumption. I used to run the RX 570s with the core undervolted to 775mV. They would get around 31MH/s with 70-75w power consumption. If nothing has changed for those cards, you can get 32.5MH/s with the same 70-75w consumption. It ends up with ever-so-slightly less kH/w then what you have though, so nice job on that efficiency!! Which by the way I suspect you have BIOS modded with undervolt on memories, never seen 580s consuming below 70w with the core voltage at 825mV, especially knowing my 570s would consume 70-75w at 775mV, you're running yours 50mV higher but with much less consumption :)
Indeed i modded myself all my video cards BIOS-es.
Of course i modded them in this way.
I knew all the time what i want. I wanted a very low power consumption for a decent MH/s.
I believe i did it my way.
At the moment since they have ONLY 4 GB i use them for mine ETC (Ethereum Classic) and RVN (RavenCoin).
This consumption i have only on ETC because RVN is more power intensive algo.

"At this point I'd be tempted to sell off your 4GB cards.

You can probably get €250+ for each card and that's €3000 that you will not gain from ETC which is basically a dead, abandoned currency at this point.

The alternative is to speculatively mine some random altcoins in the hope they one day get big enough to be worth something in the future, but your RX580s are worth €3000 right now, today."

I agree that i could sell them. But as you can see they are in a good shape because i used them undervoltage and temp was all the time lower then normal.
I have 50 video cards at the moment and only 13 from them are 8gb.
27 of them are Sapphire RX470 mining edition with only 4gb and no video out (at all)
Rest are normal version with video out.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Hello

Indeed i modded myself all my video cards BIOS-es.
Of course i modded them in this way.
I knew all the time what i want. I wanted a very low power consumption for a decent MH/s.
I believe i did it my way.
At the moment since they have ONLY 4 GB i use them for mine ETC (Ethereum Classic) and RVN (RavenCoin).
This consumption i have only on ETC because RVN is more power intensive algo.

"At this point I'd be tempted to sell off your 4GB cards.

The alternative is to speculatively mine some random altcoins in the hope they one day get big enough to be worth something in the future, but your RX580s are worth €3000 right now, today."

I agree that i could sell them. But as you can see they are in a good shape because i used them undervoltage and temp was all the time lower then normal.
I have 50 video cards at the moment and only 13 from them are 8gb.
27 of them are Sapphire RX470 mining edition with only 4gb and no video out (at all)
Rest are normal version with video out.

Yeah you achieved that indeed, the kh/w is brilliant :)
You can do as I did, sell them slightly cheaper than miners would pay for them if you can ensure it ends up in gaming PCs. You'll prob still get MSRP after years of use, which is ridonculous and you'll be helping some gamers who can't get their hands on any card below 500€. Plus, even if you have a pure miner mindset, by helping the market overall you're helping yourself too :laugh:

@Chrispy_ getting there:
1642613993883.png

Still not ideal, I want these temps with a much lower fan speed, but better. removed some tiny thermal pads that are apparently useless or they need to be 0.5mm specifically in that place, mems now hold at 76 if the fan is 75+. 800mV in mems seems stable btw, if you don't pass 900 mem clock!

Last edited:
He he, indeed you are totally right...except one thing i am not a miner nor a gamer ( i was years ago).
I am kinda passionate for all computers (i mean at a hardware level).
I mine only for fun. I do not sell the coins (not even a small part)
I decided to have as many coins as i can in my wallets to let my kid have something later.
At the moment i do not feel the right moment to sell them yet.
True i would help many gamers to put their hands on a cheaper video card.
But i do not think that the mining era has gone...no sir not yet :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Attaching 2 slightly better (still shit, I'm sorry I shake a little..) pics with different lighting and circled the area.

You can see exposed metal, copper or rust colored.

PS: it's back to full dead mode

Edit: @eidairaman1 found some unconventional ways to get you a (crappy) close up shot of the problem area. @Andy Shiekh wanna give your opinion? I'm really not experienced with electronics but the trace looks cut on the right side there.
View attachment 232622
Yeah thats damaged for sure, you need it correctly repaired

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Yeah thats damaged for sure, you need it correctly repaired
Any idea if there's pcb schematics out there for this card? I'm curious what this trace does but I can't find any. Card has been running fine for a couple of days..

He he, indeed you are totally right...except one thing i am not a miner nor a gamer ( i was years ago).
I am kinda passionate for all computers (i mean at a hardware level).
I mine only for fun. I do not sell the coins (not even a small part)
I decided to have as many coins as i can in my wallets to let my kid have something later.
At the moment i do not feel the right moment to sell them yet.
True i would help many gamers to put their hands on a cheaper video card.
But i do not think that the mining era has gone...no sir not yet :)
I hear you. I work with software professionally for over a decade, but when it comes to hardware and electronics I'm just a noobie enthusiast so I'm glad places like this exist

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Update: 3-4 solid days with 0 problems. If it dies again I'll update the thread

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Well, it has gone back to Zombie mode.

I was a bit too lazy disassembling the card to check it out and the inductor that is typically crooked came off (VDDCI related if I'm not mistaken). I'm having a hard time finding this exact component though.

Anyone has any idea where I can find this "R56" inductor or a 100% compatible one? I can't even find information about it to look for compatible alternatives. The best I can find is a different sized "R56", which doesn't fit this design, it's 1cm x 1cm whereas this one looks to be 0.6cm x 0.6cm or so.

Also, anyone knows what the numbers below "R56" are? Seems they might be a batch number or something irrelevant for the specs of the inductor, as I can find pictures of the same exact PCB where that number is different. For example:

This comes from TPU RX 5700 review PCB pics, which is a reference model too ("R56 1917"):
1646406668757.png

But mine has this one ("R56 1918"):

1646406918987.png

I have someone who can solder a new one in place, just need to find a place to order it!

Attachments

• 1646406861823.png
    1646406861823.png
    497.3 KB · Views: 38
D

Deleted member 24505

Well, it has gone back to Zombie mode.

I was a bit too lazy disassembling the card to check it out and the inductor that is typically crooked came off (VDDCI related if I'm not mistaken). I'm having a hard time finding this exact component though.

Anyone has any idea where I can find this "R56" inductor or a 100% compatible one? I can't even find information about it to look for compatible alternatives. The best I can find is a different sized "R56", which doesn't fit this design, it's 1cm x 1cm whereas this one looks to be 0.6cm x 0.6cm or so.

Also, anyone knows what the numbers below "R56" are? Seems they might be a batch number or something irrelevant for the specs of the inductor, as I can find pictures of the same exact PCB where that number is different. For example:

This comes from TPU RX 5700 review PCB pics, which is a reference model too ("R56 1917"):
View attachment 238728

But mine has this one ("R56 1918"):

View attachment 238730

I have someone who can solder a new one in place, just need to find a place to order it!

Could this be what you are looking for?
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/KEMET/MPX1D0630L3R3?qs=vLWxofP3U2xqima8f%2BiksA==

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I don't think that one is a match. I suspect "R56" points to either 5.6 uH or 0.56 uH inductance, but I have no clue really. Can't find schematics out there nor any specific info about this inductor :(

PS: measurements are 8mm x 7mm x 5mm

Can't find anything exactly that size. Try contacting electrical component suppliers with a pic and dimensions, they might be able to find one.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Can't find anything exactly that size. Try contacting electrical component suppliers with a pic and dimensions, they might be able to find one.
Any suggestions for a supplier that replies to normies? :)

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
D

Deleted member 24505

Yeah typically these big stores won't lose the time to try to help a single customer who would buy a 1$ worth component, still I e-mailed 2 of them.. Let's see, meanwhile I suspect someone around TPU Forums knows exactly what specs we should expect from this Inductor, that should be enough to buy a compatible one.

It's worth a try