• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possibly bricked RX 5700?

Processor Intel i7 11700F
Motherboard Asrock B560 Pro4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB NVMe
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Power Supply XFX Pro Series 750W
Hi guys,

It's a reference Sapphire* 5700. The guy I bought it from thought it was a 5700XT and indeed it came with the XT bios flashed. He claims he already bought it as a XT and he had no clue it was a non-XT. He did do a decent job acting surprised at least, but you never know. I saw the card running CS:GO on his PC with the display attached to the card, but again you never know these days, he could have pulled a IGD sneaky cable that I didn't spot.

The card also actually ran once I got home once, in the first PC I plugged it into. Valorant worked. It also mined for 3 min or so at an adequate speed for a 5700. After a while it crashed. Now, I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time but I do remember the GPU temp was not above the 60s celcius. After that it started either not booting or freezing shortly after booting windows. I tried everything but at the end the only possible way to boot with the card on was with IGD as boot device and the card as secondary.

First thing I wanted to try is to flash it's original bios or a 100% compatible bios, maybe the silicon lottery on this card is crap and it really can't handle the XT clocks.

But of course I'm an idiot and the bios I flashed into it clearly made it worse. It still only boots as secondary card but now windows completely crashes 3 sec after boot. I didn't safe-mode yet, about to try now, to see if I can at least try to flash a better bios. I wanted to try this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212431/sapphire-rx5700-8192-190616, but the rom size was 512Kb while the XT one that was in the card was 1024kb so I thought I had to find a 1024kb one for a sapphire reference 5700... I know, I'm an idiot and flashed this https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/215337/his-rx5700-8192-190616.

Since I'm an idiot, wanted to ask you guys before I take any further steps. Should I flash https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212119/amd-rx5700-8192-190616 ? the product id is slightly different than the one on the sticker (102-D1820200 instead of 102-D1820201), but it is indeed much closer than the crap I flashed. Then there's the fact it's 512kb, is that an issue? I thought it would be 512kb for single and 1024kb for dual-bios cards.. this one doesn't have a bios switch so I assume it's a single bios card..

Thanks in advance

stl

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Firstly, I would suggest to hold on a minute, multiple bad flashes can be .......... bad :) It would help if you knew the exact model of the card and absolute confirmation of what type of memory it has, some pics would be even more helpful.

With AMD "reference" can be different to NVidia, if someone tells me they have a Reference RTX3060 I expect it to be the Founders Edition so in your case are you saying the basic stock non overclocked leaf blower cooler model? I ask because you say it's an MSI card but one of those links is to an Asrock.

Edit: it is probably better to get the card working firstly with the right bios before you go again with another one to try to improve performance, at least then if that fails you know you have the correct bios to flash back.

This is the MSI stock bios as far as I can see, does the memory support match what your card has?

VGA Bios Collection: MSI RX 5700 8 GB | TechPowerUp

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Sorry, i've been up for too long, drove too much to buy this card and now have been too many hours around this :'D

Not only I missed some info but I also had it partially incorrect. I expect the same from Nvidia, had several founder's editions cards bought directly from Nvidia.
The reason I mentioned a brand is because the sticker in the card does, but it's not MSI (again, sorry.. tired), it's Sapphire supposedly. That's the wrong info.

As for the missing info (and pics):

What actually brought it to this state (realised 5min ago) where windows crashes 10 sec after booting was trying to install radeon drivers. Windows crashed during drivers install multiple times and apparently the last time it actually installed them, so when trying to run the drivers it was crashing. Already booted without the card plugged, uninstalled drivers and now it should boot again with the card plugged (as secondary that is).

So yeah, I think with the actual real bios this can be doable, because it did work when I first plugged the card in (still with the XT bios), the drivers were already installed and it went fine.Hopefully with your help we can find it (or maybe it's that one I linked with 512kb afterall?). Pics attached! Let me know if you need to see the back of the PCB for some reason :D

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20220110_224429.jpg
    20220110_224429.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
  • 20220110_224503.jpg
    20220110_224503.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 214

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Im not reading your long story, cut to the chase. Condense your wall of text.

What did you do?

What did you do?

That is a Sapphire Heatsink

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Sure here's a TLDR:

. bought used card, came with XT bios but its non-xt;
. flashed wrong bios like an idiot (to try to get it back to non XT due to instability and crashes);
. amd drivers installing crashed windows;
. windows wouldn't run for more than 10 sec without crashing, due to poorly installed drivers I assume;

update: removing drivers' leftovers with DDU made windows bootable again with card as secondary.
Need advice for correct bios and if this is even a legit card :D

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Sure here's a TLDR:

. bought used card, came with XT bios but its non-xt;
. flashed wrong bios like an idiot (to try to get it back to non XT due to instability and crashes);
. amd drivers installing crashed windows;
. windows wouldn't run for more than 10 sec without crashing, due to poorly installed drivers I assume;

update: removing drivers' leftovers with DDU made windows bootable again with card as secondary.
Need advice for correct bios and if this is even a legit card :D
If i were you Id send the card back as defective.

I will look, are there any MSI identifying markers on that pcb?

Have you removed the heatsink to try and verify the gpu core and ram used?

What does the qr code near the pcie blade show, get pics of any other white stickers on the card please

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
It's a second hand purchase, might be possible but will be hard to return!

Forget MSI, that's my tired-ass brain making mistakes.

Sticker says Sapphire and it was sold as just "RX 5700", the guy didn't seem to care for the brand he supposedly just used it for gaming.

Hold on I will upload GPU-Z pic now that I can boot with it again.

Didn't want to remove heat-sink because I have no thermal paste at home right now and if I try to return it, it should be in the same condition I bought it.

That's all the stickers I can find (except for the ones already in the pics above). Full PCB back as bonus.

BTW the reason for the thermal pads is because the previous-previous owner had this card watercooled, but this dude didn't have a custom loop so he claims he went to a shop with the original heatsink and swapped it back and added new thermal paste, he showed me the water block. I think he did it himself tbh, thermal pads without anything to make contact seems silly but correct me if I'm wrong.

If i were you Id send the card back as defective.

I will look, are there any MSI identifying markers on that pcb?

Have you removed the heatsink to try and verify the gpu core and ram used?

What does the qr code near the pcie blade show, get pics of any other white stickers on the card please

All uploaded, let me know if you need anything else!

Firstly, I would suggest to hold on a minute, multiple bad flashes can be .......... bad :) It would help if you knew the exact model of the card and absolute confirmation of what type of memory it has, some pics would be even more helpful.

With AMD "reference" can be different to NVidia, if someone tells me they have a Reference RTX3060 I expect it to be the Founders Edition so in your case are you saying the basic stock non overclocked leaf blower cooler model? I ask because you say it's an MSI card but one of those links is to an Asrock.

Edit: it is probably better to get the card working firstly with the right bios before you go again with another one to try to improve performance, at least then if that fails you know you have the correct bios to flash back.

This is the MSI stock bios as far as I can see, does the memory support match what your card has?

VGA Bios Collection: MSI RX 5700 8 GB | TechPowerUp
How can I check more details about the memory with the current shitty state of gpuz? I can flash back the XT bios it came with to see if at least we can get memory info..? No idea how to give you more info here :D

Update: bios it came with flashed via cmd (doesnt work via gui) is now having the same exact results.. wont boot as primary and won't install drivers...

Starting to wonder if this card only worked the first time I plugged it in because the ati drivers were already installed and pixel clock patched..?

Attachments

• 20220110_233944.jpg
    20220110_233944.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 230
  • 20220110_233928.jpg
    20220110_233928.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
  • 20220110_233846.jpg
    20220110_233846.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • gpuz5700.gif
    gpuz5700.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Should I try to flash them 1 by 1?
Cmd or DOS method?

Well these are the 5700 bios for the card.

Update:

Flashed the supposedly correct BIOS (assuming the stickers are from the actual card).

MB still won't POST with this card as PEG primary, only with IGP as primary or another card on the 1st slot.

Can we take a step back here, I'm confused as to what actually bricked the card? Please educate me:

- it worked when I got home (as secondary card), but amd drivers were already installed;
- Was able to test it mining with different OC settings for 1min each setting;
- Didn't even reach +500Mhz on mem (no OC on core) before it started freezing the whole system;
- Drivers would crash on every boot after this, freezing windows with blue screen;
- This is where I decided to flash the non-xt bios.

So did I brick the card with an extremely mild OC or did I brick it when I flashed the non-xt bios?

What's my next alternatives? I can't try wiping the bios via shorting without a proper USB flasher right?

Much thanks for the help so far, I really hope we can get this card to work, the guy I bought it from is giving the typical excuses to not take it back :\

edit: core/mem temps during the 1min tests also never got passed 60s/70s respectively

Another update:

On another machine it doesn't even POST with a different GPU as primary and this one secondary. Right when it's about to POST, it turns the display on (main card in this PC is a 1070Ti), displays a blinking cursor marker and immediately freezes.

The only major difference is that this one uses a intel "F" cpu so no iGPU. No idea if this helps find the issue/solution...

Yet another update:

On a 3rd PC for some reason I was able to flash via the normal GUI version and not cmd. Unfortunately no luck, still same symptoms, none of my systems will POST with it as primary. Two systems POST with another GPU in the 1st pci-e slot, one doesn't even do that - only if the IGP is the primary boot device.

Thought I'd take a pic of the `amdvbflash -ai` command,maybe you guys can spot something?

Attachments

• image (6).png
    image (6).png
    32.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
@xorstl the XT models have the funny looking dent in the air cooler shroud as a dead giveaway. The standard 5700 models like you have, the cooler looks normal instead. so you really could have identified what you were purchasing just by that alone....but story is getting weirder by the min with the water block but didn't have a custom loop comments? (why would the seller have a water block on it if they didn't have a custom loop to put it to use in?! did they buy it just to resell it?)

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
@xorstl the XT models have the funny looking dent in the air cooler shroud as a dead giveaway. The standard 5700 models like you have, the cooler looks normal instead. so you really could have identified what you were purchasing just by that alone....but story is getting weirder by the min with the water block but didn't have a custom loop comments? (why would the seller have a water block on it if they didn't have a custom loop to put it to use in?! did they buy it just to resell it?)
I understand the confusion, didn't want to put out another wall of text...

The guy I bought it from bought it in theory around 3months ago (used) and now is switching to an RTX. He supposedly only used it for gaming. He had no clue it was not a XT one, or at least he is really good at acting. However I did immediatelly see it was labeled as a non-XT in the cover and negotiated a bit lower price. Again I saw the card working, detected by AMD Radeon GUI and a game launched and ran for around 10 min.

The waterblock belonged to the original owner, who sold it to this guy with the block mounted. He says he then went to a tech shop and asked them to replace the waterblock with the original heatsink and cover since he didn't have a clue how to do that. He says he watched them clean everything and applying brand new thermal paste.

This is an OK story, the only question that pops in my head is: did the original owner actually hand over the original heatsink&cover or did this guy get ANY heatsink he could find that fits a 5700 PCB?

Now the seller is not willing to take the card back, as he states it worked before it left his house, which unfortunately is true. As mentioned before it also worked in my mining rig for 3 runs of 1-2 min each with different OC settings detailed above, until it crashed the first time.

I'm having a serious hard time believing I fried the memory chips with a +500 memclock increase... These cards (even the non-xt) are supposed to handle it easily..

unless of course it's not a 5700, any way I can be 100% sure without removing the heatsink?

Cheers

Bit more info, I just noticed in atiflash the Image size, even after a successful flash is way smaller than the contents of the rom file.. Pic below

1641906528013.png

Is this an indicator of hardbrick of the bios chip? Willing to try anything you guys suggest at this point :/

System Name Red and Green,mean machine!
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Arctic eSports Duo
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX3070 Gaming
Storage Couple ssd , nvme etc
Display(s) AORUS FI25F 240hz
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Software Win 11 64bit
Is it possible that that is a 5700xt covered in 5700 cooling?
You should really reach for that pcb and take clearer pics

Case Lian Li O11-D
OK I get it now. The cooler you showed in pics is the standard reference one. So even if it wasn't the exact unit that was shipped with the card from the factory, they are all essentially the same. That cooler is designed for that GPU so there shouldn't be any worries there. Meaning if the person who sold it to you did get "any heatsink that fits" that is OK because it's the right one and whether you yanked it off a Saphire, AMD, XFX, etc brand model, they are all the same when they are reference design. At this point if you need more reassurance about what you actually have, yes you would need to disassemble to verify what is on the PCB

+500 mem clock?!
I couldn't even get a stable OC on mem with like 100Mhz increase?! I'm using an XT version, but for ex, it's default mem clock is 1750 and going to 1850 was iffy most of the time even (according to GPU database the non XT version has same 1750 mem clock so this should be relatively comparable). Hard time for me to believe you put a 500Mhz OC on it and it was stable. I doubt that would brick the card, but it would certainly result in a restart of your PC when it inevitably crashes. Assuming you're using AMD Radeon Software to make these adjustments.....it would return all those adjustments to default upon next boot. anytime it detects a crash like it sends Radeon Wattmat to default values.

I'm CLUELESS about flashing and cannot help with that stuff unfortunately. And don't worry about writing too much to anyone like me. I'd rather have someone give too much, rather than too little.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
OK I get it now. The cooler you showed in pics is the standard reference one. So even if it wasn't the exact unit that was shipped with the card from the factory, they are all essentially the same. That cooler is designed for that GPU so there shouldn't be any worries there. Meaning if the person who sold it to you did get "any heatsink that fits" that is OK because it's the right one and whether you yanked it off a Saphire, AMD, XFX, etc brand model, they are all the same when they are reference design. At this point if you need more reassurance about what you actually have, yes you would need to disassemble to verify what is on the PCB

+500 mem clock?!
I couldn't even get a stable OC on mem with like 100Mhz increase?! I'm using an XT version, but for ex, it's default mem clock is 1750 and going to 1850 was iffy most of the time even (according to GPU database the non XT version has same 1750 mem clock so this should be relatively comparable). Hard time for me to believe you put a 500Mhz OC on it and it was stable. I doubt that would brick the card, but it would certainly result in a restart of your PC when it inevitably crashes. Assuming you're using AMD Radeon Software to make these adjustments.....it would return all those adjustments to default upon next boot. anytime it detects a crash like it sends Radeon Wattmat to default values.

I'm CLUELESS about flashing and cannot help with that stuff unfortunately. And don't worry about writing too much to anyone like me. I'd rather have someone give too much, rather than too little.
Actually you might be right, I often confuse the number because of how Nvidia and AMD differ in afterburner.
My goal was to aim for this:

I was about half-way to get to those memclock settings, for some reason it was in my memory as "+900" the total increase and at +500 I would be around halfway. Forget I said anything, I was basically half-way in 100Mhz increments from the stock settings.

I love the sound of "Don't think that would brick the card", but unfortunately it's pointing that way xD
edit: BTW I didn't touch specific voltage settings, just power limited the whole thing. Just wanted to get a feel of what this card could do really.
Yeah.. At this point since I have nothing to lose, I'm gonna get my lazy-ass to a pc shop, get new thermal paste, come back home and open it up... Pics later today!

D

Deleted member 24505

Take the cooler off, and post pics of the full PCB, mem chips.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Take the cooler off, and post pics of the full PCB, mem chips.

PCB pics below... Hard to get good lighting in the Netherlands and with flash you can't read the letters, too shiny. Let me know if with these pics you can see all you're looking for, otherwise let me know and I'll try to get detailed ones of the parts you need!

The only things I can comment on:
- bit too much thermal paste, but nothing that would explain the symptoms (i.e. doesn't seem to be touching anything else)
- mounting of the heatsink was done incorrectly. It should have 4 inner springed screws for the heatsink and 4 outer for the cover (or so it seems in all the pics, example https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700/images/card2.jpg). Instead, it had only screws for the 4 outter holes, non-springed. The inner were not screwed it in at all. However, doesn't seem to be an issue by the looks of the thermal paste, contact was strong enough to push the paste to the edges.
- Actual heatsink does not detatch from the rest of the block, not sure if this is the case with a stock ones or if this is just a cheap custom one but would explain why the strange choice of screws in the previous comment;

Attachments

• 20220111_150533.jpg
    20220111_150533.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 158
  • 20220111_145222.jpg
    20220111_145222.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 159
  • 20220111_145250.jpg
    20220111_145250.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 138
  • 20220111_145143.jpg
    20220111_145143.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 133
  • 20220111_145341.jpg
    20220111_145341.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
System Name Red and Green,mean machine!
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Arctic eSports Duo
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX3070 Gaming
Storage Couple ssd , nvme etc
Display(s) AORUS FI25F 240hz
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Software Win 11 64bit
By checking the visible p/n looks like a 5700
Someone who has seen more cards naked can comment.
Heatsink not detaching is normal in reference cards
Sorry I cant help any longer but vga bios flashing is something I've never done and probably never will until its a life or death situation.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
PCB pics below... Hard to get good lighting in the Netherlands and with flash you can't read the letters, too shiny. Let me know if with these pics you can see all you're looking for, otherwise let me know and I'll try to get detailed ones of the parts you need!

The only things I can comment on:
- bit too much thermal paste, but nothing that would explain the symptoms (i.e. doesn't seem to be touching anything else)
- mounting of the heatsink was done incorrectly. It should have 4 inner springed screws for the heatsink and 4 outer for the cover (or so it seems in all the pics, example https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700/images/card2.jpg). Instead, it had only screws for the 4 outter holes, non-springed. The inner were not screwed it in at all. However, doesn't seem to be an issue by the looks of the thermal paste, contact was strong enough to push the paste to the edges.
- Actual heatsink does not detatch from the rest of the block, not sure if this is the case with a stock ones or if this is just a cheap custom one but would explain why the strange choice of screws in the previous comment;
Remove thermal compound, fyi put og bios back on, the card was not working before the asshole sold it to you, it was failing due to his mining abuse

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
By checking the visible p/n looks like a 5700
Someone who has seen more cards naked can comment.
Heatsink not detaching is normal in reference cards
Sorry I cant help any longer but vga bios flashing is something I've never done and probably never will until its a life or death situation.
No problem and thanks a bunch for the clarification!

Remove thermal compound, fyi put og bios back on, the card was not working before the asshole sold it to you, it was failing due to his mining abuse
But I saw it running both on his PC and on mine. 10min on his PC on a non-demanding game (CS:GO) and 5min on mine, mining without huge OCs (and temps were fine) just to even decide if it was going to mine or just use it as the GPU of my wife's PC.

This is what I don't get: either I did something really wrong or the card had exactly 5min left to live with decent load?

Also if anyone abused it mining it was probably the guy that sold it to me, I don't think the original owner with a custom water loop would be mining...typical miners are greedy and that would be 1-2 months worth of the earnings of the card..

Anyway... small update: went to a nice local shop to buy thermal paste, turns out they do hardware diagnosis and potentially fixing - they have everything I don't to test the components individually and also have external programmable usb tools to flash the bios like the ones you guys usually suggest for bricked bios chips... I gave them the whole diagnosis and findings from my side and they will take it from now.. The diagnosis price itself was not too expensive, totally worth if they can find the problem and it's actually fixable, considering what I paid for this card... They picked it up immediately so hopefully by tomorrow morning I'll have some (not terrible) news - they close in 1hr, don't think I'll be lucky today. Will keep you guys updated :)

thanks for the help thus far

PS: You think the problem is too much thermal paste?
I tried the original bios you linked and the XT bios it came with, nothing makes any PC POST with this card on unless the IGP is primary. For some reason in a PC without iGPU, it also boots with PEG primary but this card on 2nd slot (and another GPU on the 1st)...
Edit: I think I got what you mean, you want to see pics of the GPU dye without the thermal paste? I didn't want to wipe it before I bought some more, sorry about that. It's now in the shop, if they can't find the issue I will upload a pic without the paste!

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
No problem and thanks a bunch for the clarification!

But I saw it running both on his PC and on mine. 10min on his PC on a non-demanding game (CS:GO) and 5min on mine, mining without huge OCs (and temps were fine) just to even decide if it was going to mine or just use it as the GPU of my wife's PC.

This is what I don't get: either I did something really wrong or the card had exactly 5min left to live with decent load?

Also if anyone abused it mining it was probably the guy that sold it to me, I don't think the original owner with a custom water loop would be mining...typical miners are greedy and that would be 1-2 months worth of the earnings of the card..

Anyway... small update: went to a nice local shop to buy thermal paste, turns out they do hardware diagnosis and potentially fixing - they have everything I don't to test the components individually and also have external programmable usb tools to flash the bios like the ones you guys usually suggest for bricked bios chips... I gave them the whole diagnosis and findings from my side and they will take it from now.. The diagnosis price itself was not too expensive, totally worth if they can find the problem and it's actually fixable, considering what I paid for this card... They picked it up immediately so hopefully by tomorrow morning I'll have some (not terrible) news - they close in 1hr, don't think I'll be lucky today. Will keep you guys updated :)

thanks for the help thus far

PS: You think the problem is too much thermal paste?
I tried the original bios you linked and the XT bios it came with, nothing makes any PC POST with this card on unless the IGP is primary. For some reason in a PC without iGPU, it also boots with PEG primary but this card on 2nd slot (and another GPU on the 1st)...
Edit: I think I got what you mean, you want to see pics of the GPU dye without the thermal paste? I didn't want to wipe it before I bought some more, sorry about that. It's now in the shop, if they can't find the issue I will upload a pic without the paste!

That part was bad when it arrived to you

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
That part was bad when it arrived to you
Yeah guess it wouldn't survive all those years to brick after 5 min of minimal OC.. let's hope its not the core, updates tomorrow, it's late here!

Update:
Sadly the Hardware shop doesn't have the staff to continue the diagnosis today, will have to wait for tomorrow. They did have the time yesterday to flash the original bios externally which didn't do anything, still won't POST. Tomorrow they'll continue diagnosing all the chips in the card. I just seriously hope it's the memory controller or chips. They think (I suppose from experience) that most likely the GPU itself died from voltage abuse due to the XT bios.

I can imagine if you get a non-XT with a XT bios and you're clueless, start gaming on ultra settings with no custom fan curve it will eventually put out too much voltage and heat. Reference 5700s are known to get really hot on the mem chips, even with the thermal pads mod he had without a custom fan curve and a XT bios you can still easily fry your card. Basically the worst model to put a XT bios in.. Explains the water block from the 1st owner at least, suggesting the last seller is telling the truth when he says he already bought it with the XT bios.

Meh... fingers crossed, more updates tomorrow :\

Starting to theorize if the guy I bought it from didn't just reflow the gpu with a DIY at home approach, like the hairdryer or oven method..

Last edited:
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) BenQ XL2411P
Case MSI MAG Forge 100R
Update:

GPU seems dead, other parts seem to work. Seller not willing to take money back, report submitted to both the online trading website and the Dutch police. No hopes to get my money back.

Since there's literally 0 to lose will probably try reflowing the GPU tomorrow, can't do it today as I don't have a heat gun at home and the DIY methods make no sense to me. Oven method sounds just pure stupid and playing with luck since so much can go wrong with all the other components... I mean, there's plastic connectors wtf..
Hairdryer I don't even fully understand how some people claim to make it work, maybe they have an overpowered hairdryer but I don't see how mine could ever reach the necessary temps.

Should I close the topic since pretty much there's no salvation or possible online help for my case or do you want updates tomorrow? :D

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Just update the situation tomorrow. There are always interesting.

Case Lian Li O11-D
still don't believe for a second you using this card is what borked it. I think the seller likely knew it was problematic but "hey it's working now so I'll just keep my fingers crossed it keeps working long enough to sell and wash my hands of it" and you were the one to happen to purchase it. Which if it is a standard 5700 with an XT BIOS could be a contributing factor....again...that is nothing you did wrong. You are only guilty of buying from a non-reputable/trusted source.

Yea I would agree if you are at your end of choices for troubleshooting it and the GPU is not useable, then anything is worth a short at this point. Good luck. If it doesn't work........Pour one out for our fellow GPU homie.....
Animated GIF

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit