• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power adapters

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
What exactly would that mean for the machine though? Would performance suffer in others areas or..?

You would not get the full potential out of the GTX 570 due to the CPU speed.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
What exactly would that mean for the machine though? Would performance suffer in others areas or..?

Very much so, the 570 is a decent card, had one for a year, then got another one because i liked it so much :D you need a new psu and cpu, it wont keep up with modern games for very long, but i suppose it would be cheaper than starting again (which id recommend at this point though)

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro

brandonwh64

Also new, and another reason for upgrading the graphics card. It's an Asus VG278. 1920x1080.

Yea with full 1080P and that E7500, You will def be disappointed on how well the 570 performs.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
PowerMan is InWin's PSU arm. They're capable of some decent work, but what you have is a strictly low-quality budget offering. The model that your PC has is based on a rather old electrical design, ill-suited for today's 12V-hungry machines. It's surprising you had no trouble with it so far. And it is definitely not enough to even attempt to use a GTX 570. What's good, though, is that your PSU is indeed a standard ATX affair, so you don't have to go chasing an obscure form factor...

As for everyone suggesting a completely new build, there's actually some pretty sound reasoning behind it. In order for your graphics card to do any work, first the CPU has to delegate work to it. Since in modern, more demanding games, the CPU is already pretty busy with other stuff, it has little time to send work over to the GPU. This is what people mean by the GTX 570 being bottlenecked. It'll sit idly more often acceptable.

Then again, you will see some improvement, and possibly enough so that you'll be quite content with your upgrade. It's just that the 570's "talents" will be rather under-utilized. But then you can also move it to a new build later on, when you feel comfortable enough to start work on it.

Meverix

PowerMan is InWin's PSU arm. They're capable of some decent work, but what you have is a strictly low-quality budget offering. The model that your PC has is based on a rather old electrical design, ill-suited for today's 12V-hungry machines. It's surprising you had no trouble with it so far. And it is definitely not enough to even attempt to use a GTX 570. What's good, though, is that your PSU is indeed a standard ATX affair, so you don't have to go chasing an obscure form factor...

As for everyone suggesting a completely new build, there's actually some pretty sound reasoning behind it. In order for your graphics card to do any work, first the CPU has to delegate work to it. Since in modern, more demanding games, the CPU is already pretty busy with other stuff, it has little time to send work over to the GPU. This is what people mean by the GTX 570 being bottlenecked. It'll sit idly more often acceptable.

Then again, you will see some improvement, and possibly enough so that you'll be quite content with your upgrade. It's just that the 570's "talents" will be rather under-utilized. But then you can also move it to a new build later on, when you feel comfortable enough to start work on it.

If it presents better results than the 9500GT, even if not fully actualised, I'd be happy. I'm not a hardcore gamer with a need for super hot graphics; as long as it doesn't feel like a PSX game and the framerate is decent, I'll be content. And you're right, whatever doesn't get fully utilised can be carried over to a new build later on. I guess this is an investment as well.

So I should have no problem ordering any of your previously suggested PSUs? They'd be about the right dimensions and such? If so, I'm going for it.

Thanks, all!

brandonwh64

If it presents better results than the 9500GT, even if not fully actualised, I'd be happy. I'm not a hardcore gamer with a need for super hot graphics; as long as it doesn't feel like a PSX game and the framerate is decent, I'll be content. And you're right, whatever doesn't get fully utilised can be carried over to a new build later on. I guess this is an investment as well.

So I should have no problem ordering any of your previously suggested PSUs? They'd be about the right dimensions and such? If so, I'm going for it.

Thanks, all!

Yes it will increase quite a bit. Make sure you get a decent PSU. Name brands like Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax are good places to start.