• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Inverter Trouble

1red13

After borrowing a power inverter to plug into the cigarette lighter to watch movies on a family trip I went out and bought a 240watt power inverter for myself. Long story short. Netbook won't charge while car is running. With the key turned to accessory it will start charging the netbook after a random amount of time. Tryed it several times. When I plug the netbook into the power inverter the fan will start up and then at random times the fan will go on high and it will begin charging the netbook. I can turn on the computer and it still charges, but as soon as i start the car it stops charging.

I've changed the fuses. Tryed plugging in the netbook and inverter in different orders. Any suggestions

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
it could be your car,all cars can generate enough power to power the inverter but with some cars it has to be wired in directly as the cigarette lighter cannot cope with that much power transfer for more then a few minutes

1red13

Hmm thanks. Perhaps Ill think of wiring it permenantly to the battery