• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power limit throttling dropping FPS from 140 too 100 while temps remain low.

System Name MSI GL75
Processor I7 10750H
Memory 16GB 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Storage 500GB NME SSD + 1TBHDD
Display(s) 144HZ 3ms 300nit
Mouse Logitech g903
Keyboard Corsair k65
Benchmark Scores Heaven 4.0 - 2716 Cinebench R20 - 3334
This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong section and formatting is poor.

I have noticed when playing Call of duty warzone I get power limit throttling even with low temps.

I have modest under volts and when I do the throttle stop benchmark I get no warning in the limits section. but next to the limits button it flashes "power".

When I first start the game I get 140FPS, within a few minutes it drops to around 100fps and it seems my CPU is power limiting from the 4.3 I have it set to around 3.8mhz

any help would really be appreciated. I have searched far and wide on the web and I have found nothing. I should note i think this only started happening this morning and it had been fine previously. I cannot work out any settings however that have caused this.

Attachments

• Throttlestop Screnshot.png
    Throttlestop Screnshot.png
    767.7 KB · Views: 576
  • afterburner throttlestop.png
    afterburner throttlestop.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 506
  • COD throttlestop.png
    COD throttlestop.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 626

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I get power limit throttling even with low temps.
Power limit throttling and thermal throttling due to high temperatures are two different things.

What are your long and short turbo power limits set to in the TPL window? If your power limits are set too low, you will see power limit throttling regardless of your CPU temperature.

Download ThrottleStop 9.2 and run a log file while gaming. It will show if you have power limit throttling problems and it will show at what power level that your CPU starts to throttle. The log file will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log to your next post.

I see that your CPU is reaching the thermal throttling temperature. That can also cause reduced performance. Your laptop is set to start thermal throttling at 95°C. You will need to control your CPU temperature if you want consistent performance.

-80 mV seems like a typical undervolt for the 10750H. They do not undervolt as well as the previous 8750H and 9750H.

Last edited:
System Name MSI GL75
Processor I7 10750H
Memory 16GB 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Mouse Logitech g903
Keyboard Corsair k65
Hi,

Thankyou for replying,

I believe my turbo power limit is set to 100 and short is turned off (I will screenshot to confirm)

I'll be sure to run a log and attach it by tomorrow morning.

Lastly, it hit top temps because I was trying to figure out the issue. I had just run cinebench r20 with my cpu set to 4.5mhz instead of my usual 4.2 to try and replicate the issue to screen shot.

I appriciate your advice and will post a full response tomorrow. Thanks again.

unclewebb

When you do some testing tomorrow, try with both the long and short power limits checked.

Some laptops will ignore the turbo power limit settings. Some will set a hard power limit internally, usually equal to the TDP. Your laptop might not be able to run long term beyond 45W if it has this limitation. Power limit throttling will be the result.

System Name MSI GL75
Processor I7 10750H
Memory 16GB 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Mouse Logitech g903
Keyboard Corsair k65
Both were checked, it wasn't till today I read possibly disabling it my help with the throttling I will re-enable and do log tonight,

hopefully, I can get this sorted as it didn't seem to be a problem till this morning.

thanks again.

Okay, so I think this is all the required information.

the log is just a short time frame as I had it recording for a good 4 hours but must have done something to stop it saving.

below are screenshots of the default settings. and an image showing how the power starts high at around 60/70W but drops too 20W once the game starts. as you can see the temps are fine.

Any help would be really appreciated as I just don't know what else I can change to get it to maintain the higher frequency. It should stay at 4.1mhz but drops too around 3.5/3.8 while gaming. it doesn't seem to do this while running benchmarks or stress tests.

I hope you can help,

LJM

I believe I have fixed the problem,

After I posted last night ( far too late) I continued to fiddle for around another 40mins. At that time I reset my bios. re-enabled overclocking and under-volting. which in turn stopped throttle stop from working at all. It locked all FIVR settings.

I then downloaded XTU enabled a setting in that, which unlocked the settings in throttle stop. I've un-checked C1E and checked clock mod at 100% (although I'm not sure the clock mod made any difference)

regardless I am now getting the 130-140FPS I was expecting.i just wanted to let you know before you spent any longer trying to help.

Regardless I appreciate the time you spent replying and all the help!

Attachments

• turbo boost throttle stop.png
    turbo boost throttle stop.png
    812.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Power as game loads.png
    Power as game loads.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 311
  • defaults.png
    defaults.png
    625.8 KB · Views: 294
  • power once game starts.png
    power once game starts.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 327
  • TPL settings.png
    TPL settings.png
    969.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 2020-08-23.txt
    602.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

unclewebb

When PL2 throttling is in progress, the log file is showing almost exactly 20.0W for the majority of your log file. It sometimes shows PL1 but mostly PL2. My best guess is that the manufacturer is deliberately limiting your CPU to 20.0W by setting both the long and short turbo power limits internally to exactly 20W.

Your CPU core temperatures are fantastic for a gaming laptop. They are mostly under 60°C which makes sense when you see that the power is being limited like it is. What laptop model do you have? They have converted a CPU with a 45W TDP rating that is quite capable of running at 60W or 70W and changed it into a low power CPU that cannot exceed 20W when gaming. Even a 4 core low power U series CPU can run at over 35W when fully loaded. Limiting your CPU like this is a real kick where it hurts.

Less demanding games might be able to stay under this limit so any throttling is not as noticeable. In more demanding games, your CPU that is designed to run at 4500 MHz is only running at 3000 MHz or less so you are losing out on one third of its rated performance due to bad design.

This power limit is being set internally. You cannot use software like ThrottleStop to get beyond this hard coded limit. Looking at the log file it appears that whenever your Nvidia GPU goes up over 1700 MHz, this immediately triggers the reduction in the CPU power limit. When doing a benchmark on the desktop that is not using the Nvidia GPU, the power limit goes back to normal. When you are finished playing a game, the CPU power limit would end so your CPU would be running at its proper speed. Most users would never notice what has been going on.

You can contact the manufacturer and tell them that you know what they are doing but they are never going to admit to it. Unless they release an updated BIOS that fixes this problem, you are stuck with it. This problem is deliberate and it is by design so it is very unlikely that they will ever fix this. If every consumer sent their laptop back, maybe the company would get the hint that this is not an acceptable business practice. Not enough people complain.

If your laptop comes pre-installed with any software to manage the fan profiles and power profiles, try uninstalling it.

If you have a Dell, this is an interesting solution.

Last edited:
System Name MSI GL75
Processor I7 10750H
Memory 16GB 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Mouse Logitech g903
Keyboard Corsair k65
When PL2 throttling is in progress, the log file is showing almost exactly 20.0W for the majority of your log file. It sometimes shows PL1 but mostly PL2. My best guess is that the manufacturer is deliberately limiting your CPU to 20.0W by setting both the long and short turbo power limits internally to exactly 20W.

My laptop is a MSI GL75 I7-10750H RTX 2070 16GB Ram (2666) etc.

Okay so I fiddled far too much to know exactly how I fixed it at this point but I have managed to make sure it remains at the 4.1 I've limited it too. see screenshot below

let me know your thoughts, thanks again!

Attachments

• CPU frequency.png
    CPU frequency.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 258

unclewebb

That looks better. Some laptop software has a silent mode which can force the power limit to a low value like you were experiencing. Run a log file. Make sure the power can go over 20W. There should not be any PL1 or PL2 throttling messages in the log file unless the power is over at least 45W. Not 20W.

System Name MSI GL75
Processor I7 10750H
Memory 16GB 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Mouse Logitech g903
Keyboard Corsair k65
That looks better. Some laptop software has a silent mode which can force the power limit to a low value like you were experiencing. Run a log file. Make sure the power can go over 20W. There should not be any PL1 or PL2 throttling messages in the log file unless the power is over at least 45W. Not 20W.

okay I should get chance to try it again tonight, I've found a way with HWiNFO64 to overlay the W and it gets upto about 40 i think will screenshot and send log later but I'm sure all is fine now, I just wish I knew exactly why, thanks again.

Pumpp

I've registered just to comment on this post. So my laptop is the msi GL75 9SD. A brilliant laptop which a great cooling solution. I have completed a full liquid metal repaste on both the cpu and gpu and the temps are outstounding.

BUT

I am having this exact bullshit issue. And I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on.

If I do a full windows reset, fresh install of quick cpu or throttlestop etc and set my under vaults etc - I can load up COD warzone and the cpu runs at a constant of 35 - 45w @ 3.9 to 4ghz on all cores. I can also run a healthy OC on my gpu and get really really good performance.

Cpu temps will barely kiss 72c and gpu low 60's.

Now after a period of time, I'm not sure if a Windows update has anything to do with it or not (I suspect it might), I load up warzone and everything is good. Sitting in the menu screen my cpu is still holding frequency at 30 odd w. As soon as I select a game mode that activates the gpu the cpu power instantly reduces to 20w and the frequency bounces all the place between 2.2ghz and 3.3 ish.

If I go back to the menu section the cpu will now only hold that power level and never return to above that 20w power draw.

The only way I have been able to clear this bug is by doing full windows resets and new installs which then gives me another undetermined period of time that I can run my laptop at my desired and advertised spec before some other update bugs it completely and I lose 30-40fps.

I'm at my witts end with all