• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power supply causing system instability? What are the cause of system instability aside from software issue?

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
I have been running for the past year on my silverstone power supply sfx sx600g. It failed once before on an msi am4 board before the first time I turn it on and got a new one which I used until now. The frustration of the first failure cause me to accidentally scratch my previous Raijintek Styx/Nova case as fumble about the power supply with my case.

That aside just today my PC suddenly turn off itself. I thought it overheated or the mosfet overheated but it can't be as I am running it without any case on to test things out for routine cleaning now. I took out my old EVGA 500B bronze power supply and it booted just fine. Strangely enough, I find my mouse cursor now smooth and things or programs don't crash now. Add to it I don't need higher voltage for my overclock too where once with the Silverstone Sfx sx600g I needed higher voltage and it was not so stable. I never expected a psu to cause problems like this before first time encountering it usually a psu failure is an immediate shutdown rather than instability. So just asking you guys here have any of you encountered problem like this before? This results in a lot of frustration for me, I thought my software side of things needed a good reformat again. I am gonna rma the silverstone sigh.. that is the 2nd failure. Can't believe the cheap evga 500b is still going strong should have stuck with that.

Also just a general question on what cause system instability assuming all software things are excluded and how can detect this sort of "non-immediate" failure of hardware. I guess it is hard unless you have another working hardware you know that works 100% right? I had another msi 970 gaming board which exhibit this kind of behavior which I assume is the ram issue as the psu, windows install and ssd is all good. Never managed to fix that fully without another hardware. Though ramtest resulted in passes despite bsod on irql not equal errors.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I never expected a psu to cause problems like this before first time encountering it usually a psu failure is an immediate shutdown rather than instability.
A failing PSU problem can manifest into many different symptoms, to include system freezes, reboots, shutdowns and other issues that do not clearly point to power. So it is always essential to verify you are delivering good, clean stable power to the components inside, since they all depend on good, clean, stable power. And for the typical users, that is easiest by swapping in a known good supply.

That said, since you have encountered problems with more than one PSU, you need to look at your facility power too. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

You might also consider running off a "good" UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) too. Understand it is NOT about backup power during a power outage. It is about the AVR that makes an UPS so important. Power during a full outage is just a minor bonus. And note a surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord. They do not regulate the power, and do absolutely nothing for low voltage power anomalies like dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) or brownouts (long duration sags). And for excessive surges and spikes, they simply shut off power (if working properly), crashing your computer - never good.

D

Deleted member 158293

Bad PSU & RAM are the 2 least obvious and most problematic issues to replicate in my experience.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Least obvious? Some times. Other times, it is extremely obvious. It just depends on the actual problem with the faulty devices.

System Name Karl Arsch v. u. z. Abgewischt
Processor i5 3770K @5GHz delided
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
Memory 4x 4GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 830 - 512GB; 2x 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung T240 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Shinobie XL
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Cougar G600
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Ultimate QuickFire (CherryMX Brown)
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
I had a similar problem in the early 2000s, which resulted in me becoming interested in PC hardware. In my case the faulty PSU caused shutdowns and bluescreens when a certain load on the GPU side of things was reached. As a regular user there is nothing else you can do beside systematically replacing components one at a time to solve the mystery. In my case I was lucky the faulty PSU didn't damage other components.
Since that time I'm a firm worshipper at the shrine of Seasonic and other quality PSUs.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Plain and simple dont buy crap psus