• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Supply check

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
So you solved his problem?

I will say it LOUDER, THE SOFTWARE IS A FIRST GOOD INDICATOR THAT SOMETHING MAY BE OFF.

I never said the software was inaccurate. I said it was a tool to use. Just like a stethoscope.

The comments at the beginning regarding " well, you need a heavy duty expensive oscilloscope" to solve your problem is way off the mark in the context of the advice given in this thread. If the OP owned it, he wouldn't have to ask here.

This thread is not a place to brag/boast about your self knowledge.

You guys should step back and take a broader look at how you "help" people. Such as, keep it simple to start, and not scare the OP off. 1st post and run.

The OP never got back to any of you.

Bill's advice in post #4 was the best because it gave the OP a range of what the real numbers should look like.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Shows up in new posts... I love train wrecks...

The reality is, we are all, mostly, saying the same thing. Software can be inaccurate, however, is the first thing we look at. It needs to be confirmed via multimeter. Post 4 was thorough, but is also the one that mentions you need expensive equipment to "properly" test so I am a bit confused there. Nobody who is asking that question has the equipment. So in that light, why mention it? Doesn't that scare someone that they cannot test it?? I don't follow that logic. Yes, he mentioned to swap as an alternative, but no other soul mentioned this later in the thread like that.
The only conclusive way to test a PSU is with an oscilloscope or dedicated power supply analyzer - expensive and sophisticated test equipment.

Nobody is bragging or boasting here. At least I'm not... and don't see anyone else trying to do the same.

As far as taking a step back. I have to agree on many fronts. I ask you why you would drop another piece of software in to a thread where everyone notes software isn't accurate. I asked if it was better in some way, no response to that. Once it was clarified immediately AIDA64 had what was needed, it should have ended there. Instead, it felt like a bunch of saving face and straw man arguments going over shit we covered already (see post 4 and post 9).

Anyway, for reals.. .donezo with this garbage. If you (anyone) would like to continue, my PM box is always open. :)

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The reality is, we are all, mostly, saying the same thing.
I agree.
3. We cannot test for ripple (derp).
Derp? Any other method used to measure voltages may show the voltage to be well within tolerances. But if ripple is excessive, system stability is likely to occur resulting in unexplained reboots, shutdowns and freezes even though every thing appears to be good. If ripple suppression was stupid or meaningless as the derp comment suggests, ripple suppression would not be a key element of the ATX Form Factor standard that all ATX Form Factor PSUs must comply with. Nor would it be a key testing criteria for voltage regulation and PSU quality in PSU reviews by the top review sites, like TPU as seen here. Or here where a poor score is due, in part, from poor ripple suppression on the 3.3V rail.

So as I noted way back in post #4, "conclusive" testing requires sophisticated test equipment. That leaves swapping in a known good PSU to see if the same problem recurs. Of course, not everyone has extra PSUs laying around. But most people have a trusting friend or relative they can temporarily swap with. If not, most repair shops will test a PSU for a nominal fee.

Regardless, because EVERYTHING inside the computer case depends on good, clean, stable power, the condition of the PSU should be determined before spending money on anything else.

Software is completely inaccurate
The problem with absolute blanket statements is they typically are not always correct. The facts are, software may, or may not be accurate. And if wrong, it may or may not be the fault of the software, but rather the sensor.

For example, I like Speccy for other things like temps, but not voltages. It is currently reporting the following for this computer:

+3.3V = 2.028 V
+5.0V = 3.367 V
+12V = 0.048 V​

If any of those were true, this computer would not be running.

HWiNFO64, on the other hand, currently shows on the same computer:

+3.3V = 3.305 V
+5.0V = 5.010 V
+12V = 12.168 V​

I have confirmed these later readings to be quite accurate with my multimeter - at least at this idle load level.

@Tiamat - sorry this thread seems to have run away but there really is some good information presented. I realize you were asking about voltages other than +3.3, 5, and 12V but we cannot answer that. Those other voltages were created on your specific motherboard by various voltage divider circuits and are based on the specific components that motherboard supports, such as the specific CPUs and RAM.

If your PSU voltages are good, and you have not made any user changes to your voltages in your BIOS Setup menu, there is a good chance your CPU Core, CPU VID, etc. voltages are good too.

If your goal is just to verify what AIDA says, I recommend HWiNfo64. Check "Sensors only" when it starts or you will be overwhelmed with too much information - until you get used to the program. But as noted by many above, all these software based hardware monitors depend on cheap, low tech sensors and therefore are not conclusive.

Derp? Any other method used to measure voltages may show the voltage to be well within tolerances. But if ripple is excessive, system stability is likely to occur resulting in unexplained reboots, shutdowns and freezes even though every thing appears to be good. If ripple suppression was stupid or meaningless as the derp comment suggests,
Sorry I wasn't clear there... the 'derp' part was in reference to an average user not being able to test ripple without expensive equipment most do not have (the words preceding derp. :)). I agree it is a factor and important, but, we can't test it... :)

So while relevant, we can't test for it in the first place.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Thanks for clarifying. :toast:
So while relevant, we can't test for it in the first place.
Right. So beg, borrow or steal a spare from somewhere and see if the problem recurs. Okay don't steal one.

BTW, having a spare power supply handy, along with one of those PSU testers is great for testing fans, drive motors, RGB lighting, pumps, and more outside your computer case and on your test bench. Something to think about if trying to justify in your head (or to the better half) spending money on a spare power supply.

And yes, technically you can start a PSU outside your case using a paperclip, but many power supplies don't like running without a load. It is not an ATX requirement to run without a load. They can become unstable. So while those little testers only provide a small "dummy" load, that's enough to keep the output of the supply stable.

Yes, let's not steal... haha!!

Agreed, jumpered isn't a load. Those supplies are able to keep them 'stood up' that is about it. If users are able to put a load on the PSU with a DMM attached, they can see how the 12V/5V rails react at least (I am not sure how to test 3.3V). Otherwise, they are good to read voltages at idle, which of course, doesn't tell the whole story. :)

Anyhoo... lol... hopefully the OP has plenty to go on. In looking, thankfully, he hadn't seen the mess created as he only saw the first two posts (which is funny because of what someone(else) said earlier and the OP never coming back because of the mess...lolololol). The OP hasn't gotten back to any of us because he only saw two posts. I would imagine a reply when he returns... and if not, who knows why. ;)

Processor Ryzen 5 1400 @ 3.8Ghz
Motherboard GA-AB350M-DS2
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory 1x8Gb DDR4 2400Mhz Kingston
Video Card(s) PNY Geforce GTX 1060 3gb
Storage SSD, ADATA 120Gb SU650 | WDC WD5000AAKX-003CA0 | WDC WD2500AAJS-22B4A0
Case Aerocool X-Warrior Devil Red Edition
Power Supply XFX 550W PRO SERIES
Mouse Cougar Minos x2
Keyboard Microsoft Standart
Software W10
Wow, excelent discussion guys. I'm glad i could rise this questions!

o answer your question, PC power supplies are required to output 3 primary voltages; +3.3VDC, +5VDC and +12VDC. The ATX Form Factor standard stipulates a maximum allowed ±5% tolerance. So,

Acceptable Tolerances:
12VDC ±5% = 11.4 to 12.6VDC
5VDC ±5% = 4.75 to 5.25VDC
3.3VDC ±5% = 3.14 to 3.47VDC

Tyvm! That was exactly one of my doubts!
there are some decently priced items...
lol. just cant afford that for now ;). It's just for my own use, so i guess i cant invest on those for now. But ty!

Essentially there is little we can do. If people are lucky enough to have a second known good psu, is really a good way to iso test the unit in question. Otherwise, we use the tools that we have and understand their limitations. Its the best weve got.
I have to agree with u. The problem is whem testing the system just ends destroying it ...

How I test my PSU
I'll try that :kookoo:

Use "Speccy" here: https://www.ccleaner.com/download

When open, go to motherboard, values for voltage there.

Ty man. I've donwload it now. It actually shows some data that i was not finding in Aida64

For ex:
CPU TERMINATION 1.044 V
+12V 12.270 V
+VCC 5.001 V
CPU CORE 1.008 V
DRAM 1.512 V
+3.3V 3.384 V

Despite it doenst show all the data u found. I guess my MB doesnt have all those sensors.

just didn't post the 3.3V readings as AIDA64
I feel shame, but i actually didnt find those in my AIDA64. Did u find them? Where?

Tiamat may have omitted the other rails because he thinks the 12v is the only important V rail, when in fact, if the others are bad, he can have a bad PSU.
I just lost a ATI HD 7850. it was presenting problems for a long long time. I used lived in a city that voltage was a real problem. I had an Antec PSU that started presenting problems a few years ago. It burned a GTX 560 ti that i had. After that i got the HD 7850 and the antec just kicked that VGA too. Only than i realized the problem was with my PSU. My HD 7850 lost its standard fan control, but i could overpass that by using MSI AFTERBURNER. The VGA port was damage too. Anyway, the HD 7850 hold on for almost 3 years. 15 days ago it just went off... i'm concerned in turning on my new GTX 1060 on my PSU, and have problems with it, like i did with the ATI.

sorry for the english :p

will say it LOUDER, THE SOFTWARE IS A FIRST GOOD INDICATOR THAT SOMETHING MAY BE OFF.

I agree with u. I understand that is not perfect (by far). But in my case, i'll just have to use it cause it is what i can use for now.

Doesn't that scare someone that they cannot test it??
Yes!

For example, I like Speccy for other things like temps, but not voltages. It is currently reporting the following for this computer:

+3.3V = 2.028 V
+5.0V = 3.367 V
+12V = 0.048 V
If any of those were true, this computer would not be running.

HWiNFO64, on the other hand, currently shows on the same computer:

+3.3V = 3.305 V
+5.0V = 5.010 V
+12V = 12.168 V

lol thats strange..

@Tiamat - sorry this thread seems to have run away but there really is some good information presented. I realize you were asking about voltages other than +3.3, 5, and 12V but we cannot answer that. Those other voltages were created on your specific motherboard by various voltage divider circuits and are based on the specific components that motherboard supports, such as the specific CPUs and RAM.

If your PSU voltages are good, and you have not made any user changes to your voltages in your BIOS Setup menu, there is a good chance your CPU Core, CPU VID, etc. voltages are good too.

If your goal is just to verify what AIDA says, I recommend HWiNfo64. Check "Sensors only" when it starts or you will be overwhelmed with too much information - until you get used to the program. But as noted by many above, all these software based hardware monitors depend on cheap, low tech sensors and therefore are not conclusive.

Tyvm. I agree, there are a lot of good info here. I'm checkin HWiNfo64 just now.

lol. just cant afford that for now ;). It's just for my own use, so i guess i cant invest on those for now. But ty!
$20? Ok.

I have to agree with u. The problem is whem testing the system just ends destroying it ...
No.

Despite it doenst show all the data u found. I guess my MB doesnt have all those sensors.
That or AIDA can't read them... did HWInfo show it or no? If not, then the software isn't reading the register.

lol thats strange..
It isn't. :)

i was going to mention hwinfo, it seems to try to get as many sensors as possible, hopefully not made up ones, gamersnexus recommends it as first choice

by comparison, cpuid's hwmonitor has regressed, though i preferred its interface

If you can find a "Kil-A-Watt"/power meter, etc. ( you can get them at a hardware store) plug your system into that and see how much it's pulling under full load. Balance that with the age of the PSU and you can decide if you need a new one or not.
this is a strange response, how does measuring wall AC show if a psu's DC output is ok? how does OP know what to do with the numbers?

i've got a killawatt along with hopefully working chinese noname psus & old parts that can be compared to an old seasonic, so i can test if there is an actual calculation, but doesnt seem right

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
i was going to mention hwinfo, it seems to try to get as many sensors as possible, hopefully not made up ones, gamersnexus recommends it as first choice

by comparison, cpuid's hwmonitor has regressed, though i preferred its interface

this is a strange response, how does measuring wall AC show if a psu's DC output is ok? how does OP know what to do with the numbers?

i've got a killawatt along with hopefully working chinese noname psus & old parts that can be compared to an old seasonic, so i can test if there is an actual calculation, but doesnt seem right
Since no real issue was brought up I was making a suggestion in terms of what many do with power supplies. You buy one that meets your needs/power draw and replace them after an extended time (when warranty is up, etc)

Things like using a multimeter for actual readings was already covered by another poster.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I guess my MB doesnt have all those sensors.
That is not uncommon. There is no industry standard dictating if motherboards will have sensors or where located if they have them. Same with temperature sensors. I have noticed several motherboards don't even have a +5VDC sensor, which I think is really odd.
lol thats strange..
It is strange that Speccy sometimes reports voltages so far off. I make a point of reporting that strange behavior because, sadly, I have seen more than one user purchase a new power supply just because of those readings, only to discover Speccy reported the same way-off voltages with the new supply. :( It is disappointing because otherwise, Speccy (and its sister products, CCleaner, Recuva and Defraggler) are all excellent products.

What is really odd to me is that different hardware monitoring programs would show different voltages (or temperatures) at all. These sensors just report some hexadecimal number to the system. The system then converts that number to a unit value (volts, °C, °F). It's not rocket science. If a sensor reports a value of A5D33F10 and that value = 12.012VDC with one sensor, A5D33F10 should represent 12.012VDC with any monitoring program - including the BIOS.

Some difference is expected because the monitor takes a snapshot in time. Voltages and and especially temps are constantly varying and it is highly unlikely two monitoring programs would sample the exact same point in time. If the system is running with the same load when the samples are taken (at idle for example), both the temps and voltages readings should be pretty darn close, IMO.

Processor Ryzen 5 1400 @ 3.8Ghz
Motherboard GA-AB350M-DS2
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory 1x8Gb DDR4 2400Mhz Kingston
Video Card(s) PNY Geforce GTX 1060 3gb
Storage SSD, ADATA 120Gb SU650 | WDC WD5000AAKX-003CA0 | WDC WD2500AAJS-22B4A0
Case Aerocool X-Warrior Devil Red Edition
Power Supply XFX 550W PRO SERIES
Mouse Cougar Minos x2
Keyboard Microsoft Standart
Software W10
These sensors just report some hexadecimal number to the system. The system then converts that number to a unit value (volts, °C, °F). It's not rocket science.

Indeed

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
That's why you try different software. Sometimes 3 different ones.
Not everyone has an open air test bench with easy access to voltage measurement points.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That's why you try different software. Sometimes 3 different ones.
Yes, but different software relies on the same low tech, potentially faulty (if present at all) sensors. And software only takes a snapshot of a single point in time - not across a full range of loads. Not to mention, software requires the computer and Windows to boot successfully in order for the software to run. Not an easy task if the PSU is not outputting all required voltages within specs.

Catch-22: the software needs the PSU to work in order to see if the PSU is working. :twitch:

Point? Not conclusive.

Not everyone has an open air test bench with easy access to voltage measurement points.
No, but most users do have access to a kitchen or dinning room table (desktop or even a floor), and another PSU or another computer they can temporarily swap PSUs with. Whether they want to impose on a friend or relative is another issue.

Point? Conclusive.

Frankly, any user who has the initiative and desire to conduct his or her own computer troubleshooting should have access to a spare PSU, either through a partnership with a trusting friend or relative, or even if they buy one themselves. It does not have to be an expensive 80 PLUS certified supply from a reputable maker. Any PSU of sufficient power can be used to determine conclusively if the original PSU is the problem, or not. It would be a shame to spend big money on a new graphics card or motherboard only to discover the problem still exists because the PSU had too much ripple, poor regulation, or a voltage too far out of tolerance.

That said, my spare is an 80 PLUS Bronze from a reputable maker because if I find the original supply is bad, I want to put something good in there until a new replacement can be obtained. So investing in a quality spare is not a bad idea either.

If you are the "go to" family, friend, or neighborhood computer guy (either by choice or by circumstances), get yourself a nice spare PSU.

FTR, basic electronics troubleshooting 101 every student of electronics is taught from the beginning starts out with (1) Is it plugged in? (2) Is it turned on? And (3) are voltages correct? I'm just saying.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Bill, the obvious is that motherboard manufactures build in these sensors for a reason and that they can be read in the Bios for a reason.
You would need to explain in great detail why these are not needed, to convince me otherwise.
An entire industry can't be wrong.

A third party software that helps in reading these is a good tool.
Your preference for HWiNFO64 adds another choice here to the mix. That indicates that you do use software!

You make valid points about a spare on hand and being actually able to boot the PC to make a read or borrowing a spare from a friend.

On the other hand I doubt you would tell your mom to go get a DMM (Digital Multi Meter), and by the way mom don't electrocute yourself or short out the the other components while you do this.

FREE software is the first choice in keeping it simple, especially when others may lack the capacity to purchase other tools or don't have the advanced knowledge that you do.

A simple mouse trap might be a better choice for most over an oscilloscope. Remember that there is only a suspicion that something might be off and we are looking for clues.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Bill, the obvious is that motherboard manufactures build in these sensors for a reason and that they can be read in the Bios for a reason.
You would need to explain in great detail why these are not needed, to convince me otherwise.
An entire industry can't be wrong.
What are you talking about? I NEVER EVER said they are not needed! I said motherboard sensors can not conclusively tell you if your PSU is outputting voltages that are within required specifications.

On the other hand I doubt you would tell your mom to go get a DMM
Again, what are you talking about? I NEVER EVER said anyone should use a multimeter. Again, I said a multimeter can not conclusively tell you if your PSU is outputting voltages properly (no ripple and not a variety of loads). And besides the fact my mom passed over 20 years ago, when my folks had computer problems, they called me as the family "go to" computer guy.

For the last time, the facts are thus:
  • Sensors are very low tech, very inexpensive, not robust devices,
  • Sensors can be bad from the start,
  • Sensors fail,
  • Not all motherboards include sensors (there is no ATX Form Factor requirements for them),
  • Software (as I showed with Speccy) can be wrong,
  • Software does NOT report power anomalies like ripple or poor regulation that cause system instability, crashes, and failures to boot,
  • Software requires the PSU to be operational so the computer can boot and run the software so the software can report the voltages, :kookoo:
  • Software does not measure voltages under a full variety of loads,
  • Multimeters do not measure ripple,
  • Multimeters need to measure voltages while the computer is under a full range of loads,
  • PSU testers do not measure ripple,
  • PSU testers only provide a small (typically only 10Ω) "dummy" load.

Therefore, NO sensor, software, multimeter, or tester can conclusively verify if a PSU is working properly. Period! That can only be done with an oscilloscope or dedicated power supply analyzer (expensive and sophisticated test equipment) and a properly trained technician capable of understanding their results. Therefore, for the normal user, that only leaves swapping in a known good power supply to conclusively verify if the original PSU is good, or bad.

Consequently, to avoid the risk of needlessly wasting money and time on a new motherboard, graphics card or CPU, etc., it is imperative to verify conclusively they are being fed good, clean power first, since every device inside the computer depends on good clean, stable power to operate properly.

So you can keep defending the software, motherboard makers, sensors, whoever or whatever all you want. That list of facts (not my opinion - facts!) will not not change.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Bill, you are an advanced user.

When the OP posts about his power supply maybe causing issues and needs help and only posts the 12v rail and omits the 5v and 3.3v, why didn't you notice?

I have NEVER said that the software is absolute, just a tool. A tool to aid in diagnosing a problem.

You even have a hard time using a mother as an example. Right away, it's your mother. It could be any mother.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Me being an advanced user (or a qualified electronics technician for that matter) has nothing to do with this - except maybe to explain how I know what I am talking about here.

And what are you expecting my mother, your mother or any mother would do? Are they advanced enough to run and understand such hardware monitoring software? Are they then to assume that software is correct and the PSU is good? Are they then to order a new motherboard or graphics card, etc. and proceed to replace it on their own? You are suggesting they are so inept they cannot swap out a PSU but they are fully qualified and capable of swapping out a motherboard! ??? That is what your argument is leading to, whether your intent or not.

And what if their monitoring program correctly reports their voltages are wrong? Are they then suddenly going to know how to swap out PSUs?

Your points are not making any sense.

Swapping out power supplies is one of the easiest and often the first hardware maintenance task newbies perform. 4 screws and its unmounted. After that, it is just following and replacing cables with like cables. All connectors are keyed so they can only go in one way (without excessive force). All a user needs is a #2 Phillips screwdriver and good lighting.
When the OP posts about his power supply maybe causing issues and needs help and only posts the 12v rail and omits the 5v and 3.3v, why didn't you notice?
Wow! Once again, what are you talking about? Let me say LOUDER like you did above, WHY DIDN'T YOU NOTICE in my post #28 above where I said,
@Tiamat - I realize you were asking about voltages other than +3.3, 5, and 12V but we cannot answer that. Those other voltages were created on your specific motherboard by various voltage divider circuits and are based on the specific components that motherboard supports, such as the specific CPUs and RAM.

So I did address those other voltages. WHY DIDN'T YOU NOTICE?

And for the record and backing up a bit, to your comment that motherboard makers must include voltage monitoring sensors for a reason, they do. But not because the sensors are needed for the motherboard to operate properly. They are not. Those voltage monitoring sensors are there because users like to see them. From the motherboard maker's viewpoint, they just add to the cost of manufacturing - they are there for "marketing reasons", not any "technical" or "operational" reasons. Those sensors are not used by the very sensitive voltage regulation and divider circuits.

Now this thread is going the same route as your arguments - no where. So I'm done here.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Bill, my posts were deleted by moderator inferno before your post # 28.

I raised the issue first here, with regards to omitted voltages. To Earthdog and you and all reading here at the time.

So you are lying at this point as to whom brought it up when and how.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
my posts were deleted by moderator inferno
So you are lying at this point as to whom brought it up when and how
Moderator inferno? I'm lying?

Wow. Okay, if it makes you feel vindicated to say that, fine. I think folks can see for themselves what has been said - especially since everything you said that I quoted is still there for all to see.

Have a good day.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I purposely misspelled the moderators name as that is a closed issue. You know who it is. He doesn't need to be mentioned directly.

At your level, you should have caught the lack of reported rails in post #4 not #28. Not after I brought it up in post #16.
Riding my coat tails, after your miss. You missed it because you want so badly to impress others that you are right and knowledgeable firstly, instead of looking at the problem in a practical manner for the OP. Instead you decided to talk about oscilloscopes as an opener. ( Is this about you or the OP?) The other info in post #4 regarding what voltages should be, in the realm of error, was most helpful. Here's another example:

Me being an advanced user (or a qualified electronics technician for that matter) has nothing to do with this - except maybe to explain how I know what I am talking about here.

Self-aggrandizement is not needed, to make a point.

Later, after I'm belittled, told I should't post as a latecomer, and
Shows up in new posts... I love train wrecks...
(and other digs) for suggesting another software, other than AIDA 64 used by the OP, you chime in post #28 that you like FREE HWiNFO64 better, and point out discrepancies between that and my suggested FREE "Speccy". You admit to using software. How IRONIC!

Now you say the sensors are cosmetic and don't serve a useful function post #43.
they are there for "marketing reasons", not any "technical" or "operational" reasons.

So are they broken? Hey, I want a refund.

You then go on to say I keep defending the use of software. Yes, let everyone see it.

Yes, I will continue to defend and advocate the use of software to help diagnose potential PSU problems.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Lack of reported rails? Again, what are you talking about? I didn't miss anything. I replied to the question which was about "checking the voltage" of the XFX 550W PSU at each connector. That is the 3 rails I mentioned in my first reply!!!!!!

I further elaborated in a later post, in part because of the confusion and misinformation you were presenting.

Riding your coat tails? :roll:

You seem delusional here and I am sorry about that. The point about oscilloscopes was to illustrate the same point I've talking about from the beginning that you just don't seem able to grasp - and that is about conclusively verifying if a PSU is good or bad. Yes, software can "help" diagnose - I NEVER said it couldn't - yet you seem to keep arguing that I have said otherwise. :kookoo: But "help" diagnose and "conclusively" diagnosing are two different things. And important to distinguish if the desire is to find out what actually is wrong before spending money on something else!

So are they broken? Hey, I want a refund.
I don't know. Get yourself a multimeter and find out. That will tell you if the sensor and software are accurate.

Of course, it is not likely the multimeter can measure ripple since most multimeters don't. So you will need to get yourself an oscilloscope or power supply analyzer to confirm one way or another. Or you could just swap in a known good supply to find out conclusively. :D

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
The very first post by the OP, only indicates a 12v measure.
When did you first ask him what the other 2 measurements were, as an aid to assist him?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
What is your point here? It seems like you are just trying to argue about anything. :(

His first post indicates a lot more than just 12V. He gave "examples" but all of those voltages, except the +12V are seen on the motherboard only, not as PSU supplied voltages.

But most importantly, he specifically asked (my bold underline added),
Is it possible to evaluate the actual conditions of my XFX 550W PRO SERIES by checking the voltage offered in each connector
You cannot use software to check voltages at a PSU's connector. I explained what voltages a PSU outputs, and their allowed tolerances. Sorry if that was not good enough for you.

If the OP replies and asks for my information, I will reply. Otherwise, I really am out of here.

Last edited:
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
What is your point here?

You did not ask him about his problem or what were his other readings until I broached the subject.
I asked about his specific problem by pointing out that he was not looking at the full picture.
2 major voltage points were missing.
He never got back to anyone until I made it obvious about the lack of response. I'm not claiming anything on my part as to why he finally responded but he started another post prior to this one getting a response. Earthdog prodded him to respond to this thread in the other thread.
Post #2 and 6: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/ssd-adata-raid-0-with-other-ssd.241773/#post-3803559
"lol that's true! Last time, it had only 3 answers haha. That is what i call a debate haha"
You can Google all the info you provided. Does this example speak to his specific needs, most likely not:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)
You didn't personalize your response to his specific need. There was a lack of information on his part that went unrecognized by you and others.
I did complement you on providing information as to what proper readings should be. That part was great.
The wall of text written by you and others to anyone that has basic needs is overwhelming, standoffish and uninviting.
Never mind your technical prowess.

There are a ton of PSU questions in the archives here. Everything you answered has already been done.
New(er) members need softer handling. I don't know that he's not a minor. I don't know his comfort level.
You can tell me, "stop screwing with the software and get out your meter" and I understand. I've been around the block a few times.
This site is getting that "Elitist" feel and I feel it drags things down. Especially when I get rebuffed for trying to make it easier by suggesting a secondary software in addition to the one he used. I'm also OK with you saying you prefer one software for any given reason over another but I should not be rebuked for doing so.