• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Supply Randomly stops outputting power?

Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I have a strange power supply issue that I am in some serious need of help to resolve. I've spent quite a bit of time researching it with no resolution. I have an Ethereum mining rig that uses two power supplies, a corsair AX 1200, and a Seasonic 1250 Gold PSU. I have it connected via a dual power supply adapter.

In order to get all 5 GPUs to show up in windows, I had to plug the seasonic power supply into the main 24 pin, and the corsair into the secondary 24 pin slot. This ran just fine. I had it running like this for several days until about 2 days ago things went haywire. The machine shut itself off, and several hours later I went to investigate. I tried swapping the seasonic to the secondary PSU adapter and the corsair to the primary, and this allowed the machine to actually post. The seasonic psu was drawing zero watts from my killowatt meter, and only the 3 GPUs which were plugged into the corsair PSU were showing up on the device manager. Eventually I took the Seasonic power supply out of the machine, plugged it into a different computer where it started up just fine, then I plugged it back into the machine and everything ran fine. This worked for about a day. Then today, the thing turned off again. I went out to investigate and just like before, the seasonic power supply was only drawing about 3.8watts of power. I am going to try plugging it back into my other machine tomorrow to see if it will fix it, but I really need a solution for this. I can't keep unplugging it and plugging it back into the other computer.

Does anybody have any ideas/solutions for my problem? I am thinking (however unlikely it is) that maybe it's the PSU adapter that's causing the issues? Because they were running fine for several days, and then this stuff started happening. I'm really in need of some help, hopefully one of you TPU members will know how to fix this.

Thanks

Also, I have the CPUs plugged into the corsair PSU, which is plugged into the secondary adapter, and 3 of my GPUs with it. The other 2 are plugged into the seasonic, and the only way for those 2 to get registered was by plugging it into my main 24pin adapter slot (not the secondary one).

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Where do the two PSUs get their power? If different wall outlets, I would run a small grounding wire between the two supplies just to make sure they have a "common" ground. If running through UPS to different wall outlets, then strap the two UPS grounds together. I would also use an AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. If not in the US, you should be able to find a similar tester for your mains connector at your local home improvement store. If the tester reports a problem, you need to have a certified electrician fix it.

System Name Box
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace Max 570S
Cooling Corsair h150i Elite Capellix 360 white
Memory 16 GB Teamforce DDR 4 4500 (2x8) CL18
Video Card(s) Aorus 1080ti
Storage NVMe: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, WD_BLACK SN770 2TB, Crucial P5 Plus 2TB, spinners: 3TB, 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 1080p
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic white - fans: 2x140mm, 7x120mm
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply EVGA G2 850
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win10 pro
Benchmark Scores later
perhaps one of the psus internal protection is kicking in for some reason. usually the only way internal protection gets reset is to remove ac power to it via switch or unplugging the ac cord. give it some time to reset (several minutes maybe) and try to fire it up again.

as others have mentioned both psus need to be at the same ground potential, both at the ac outlet and between the ground pins of the psus themselves. or weird things can happen.

Last edited:
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
perhaps one of the psus internal protection is kicking in for some reason. usually the only way internal protection gets reset is to remove ac power to it via switch or unplugging the ac cord. give it some time to reset (several minutes maybe) and try to fire it up again.

as others have mentioned both psus need to be at the same ground potential, both at the ac outlet and between the ground pins of the psus themselves. or weird things can happen.
I've tried giving it time and it doesn't work. Only way i solved this previously was plugging it into another pc, letting it boot up, then putting this one back into my miner and it magically fixed it.

Where do the two PSUs get their power? If different wall outlets, I would run a small grounding wire between the two supplies just to make sure they have a "common" ground. If running through UPS to different wall outlets, then strap the two UPS grounds together. I would also use an AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. If not in the US, you should be able to find a similar tester for your mains connector at your local home improvement store. If the tester reports a problem, you need to have a certified electrician fix it.

I made (with my electrician friend) an outside outlet panel box which is connected to dual 20amp circuits in my circuit breakers. I have 2 heavy duty extension cords, one plugged into each out circuit, hooked up to the box I made. How would I run a grounding wire between the two? Also, how come when I plugged it into that other PC and it turned on, then plugged it into this one it seemed to work?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
If different wall outlets, I would run a small grounding wire between the two supplies just to make sure they have a "common" ground.
If they're different circuits, couldn't that be a bad idea if they're isolated grounds? I feel like that's just asking for a ground loop.

Last edited:
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
If they're different circuits, couldn't that be a bad idea if they're isolated grounds? I feel like that's just asking for a ground loop.
It's been working just fine up until about 2 days ago. It had been running for weeks without an issue. I just got the seasonic psu and it had been working fine for I think the last week and then things went crazy. Should I take like a metal wire and electrical tape it from the psu to the case with the other one in it?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
This is what concerns me:
I had to plug the seasonic power supply into the main 24 pin, and the corsair into the secondary 24 pin slot.
Servers with redundant power supplies usually use something to bridge the two PSUs together before providing that power to the motherboard. You might be killing your hardware by running it like this. I don't actively have a good suggestion other than not doing it that way.

Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
This is what concerns me:

Servers with redundant power supplies usually use something to bridge the two PSUs together before providing that power to the motherboard. You might be killing your hardware by running it like this. I don't actively have a good suggestion other than not doing it that way.
I'm using an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL3L2J6/?tag=tec06d-20

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
The obvious answer is RMA the Seasonic. It's not working correctly.
Every once and a while you get a lemon. It happens to every manufacturer.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
The obvious answer is RMA the Seasonic. It's not working correctly.
Every once and a while you get a lemon. It happens to every manufacturer.
That's definitely the bottom line.

Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
That's definitely the bottom line.
I can't do that because I bought it off Craigslist unless I can still file a warranty request for it. But the thing works normally in another computer.

System Name Master
Then the Seasonic doesn't like the adapter. It trips the protections.
You'll need a different PSU.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Its gimped, what do you want us to tell you? Its OK use it? Then have at it, if it works in another then swap that PSU for it. Seems to me you had too much power with them both. The 1 doesn't want to work with the other, so don't do it.

Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Then the Seasonic doesn't like the adapter. It trips the protections.
You'll need a different PSU.
So should I try getting a different adapter? Because it had been working fine then it suddenly seemed to stop working.

Its gimped, what do you want us to tell you? Its OK use it? Then have at it, if it works in another then swap that PSU for it. Seems to me you had too much power with them both. The 1 doesn't want to work with the other, so don't do it.
Well if you're asking me what I want you to tell me my answer would be a solution. What do you mean I have too much power with both of them? I have them each running on a separate 20amp circuit which would allow for more than 2000watts each, and considering that they're a 1250 and 1200 watt psu respectively, this should be a non issue. It had been working fine and I was hoping someone had some ideas about why it might have stopped working. Someone mentioned a ground loop, how could I effectively deal with that?

System Name Master
The issue isn't with the adapter, it's with the Seasonic.
That's what you need to change out.

Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I'm going to try plugging it back into a different pc and seeing if it will work then like it had previously.

All the adapter does it make it so the secondary PSU gets turned off and on in sync with the primary PSU. Other than that the 2 PSUs operate completely independently of each other. Meaning...yeah...the adapter is definitely not the problem.

Oh...and the ground loop hypothesis is also lacking any sense. They are on separated circuits...again...operating completely independent of each other as far as power input/output..

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Oh...and the ground loop hypothesis is also lacking any sense. They are on separated circuits...again...operating completely independent of each other as far as power input/output..
Any time you connect two grounds together, you open the possibility of creating a ground loop because two grounds don't always have the same electric potential, even if they're a common ground. On paper, it's supposed to be 0v but, in reality two grounds might not have a 0v potential difference for a variety of reasons which become more apparent when they're isolated. The most basic reason would be current getting induced on it from being next to the hot wire or a device is putting power into ground when it shouldn't be. Either way, this shouldn't be an issue because the guy hasn't connected the two grounds together.

If the PSUs are connected directly together, they might be causing problems. The adapter by itself shouldn't cause issues but, if more than one PSU is plugged into the motherboard aside from that adapter, bad things could happen.

SuperUser said:
Support for multiple power supply units is often found in server machines, but its purpose is to keep the server running if one of the units fails, not to increase the maximum total power output. Second PSUs can be used to distribute the load if a single unit cannot cope by itself and it is safe to do so as long as any rail is powered by at most one supply. E.g., you can use the second PSU to power the hard drives, but the hard drives must be disconnected from the first PSU.

Indeed there are good reasons for not using multiple power sources in parallel. PSUs are normally switching; they operate by frequently toggling between full-on and full-off. The output voltage is regulated by spending more or less time in the on-state. If load increases, the voltage drops and the feedback controller reacts accordingly.

When two units are installed in parallel, two controllers are hard at work to maintain a stable voltage, but they are unaware of one another. As a result, they may enter a hysteresis loop by consistently overshooting their target. Alternatively, one unit might try to lower the output voltage but fail, because his partner is pushing the output in the other direction.

With a few tweaks, these problems can be avoided. The second PSU can be hooked up to the controller of the first to ensure the output remain stable and diodes are required to avoid one unit from pushing current into the other when both aren't working equally hard. I highly recommend experimenting with this for the sake of learning about electronics (remember, smoke is bad). If you just want more juice for your computer, I suggest you keep both power supplies isolated, or even simpler, get a more powerful unit.
https://superuser.com/questions/681919/using-multiple-power-supplies-in-one-pc

Last edited:
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I'm going to be taking some wires and trying to make sure everything is grounded together In case it's an issue like that. I don't understand though why it had been working and then it suddenly stopped, then worked for a day and stoped. Seems weird to me. It's not like the psu is even being pushed that hard, just 2 r9 290s. And for a 1250s that's hardly anything.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That is EXACTLY why you must have a "common" ground! You are asking for a ground loop if you have more than one isolated ground so that is all the more IMMEDIATE reason to tie the two grounds together.

And for the record, no facility should have two separate isolated grounds - ever. If such an event occurred, a difference in potential is highly likely and it could cause someone to, for example, have one hand on a metal bread toaster who then grabs with the other hand the cold water faucet or refrigerator handle and gets zapped! Not good. If they have a heart pacemaker, it could be deadly. Other symptoms could include induced hum or buzzing in audio circuits, "noise" in video circuits, "ripple" riding DC, or disruption/instability in other circuits - especially high-speed, low voltage data circuits.

Problems with EMI/RFI (electromagnetic or radio frequency interference) being emitted or insufficiently suppressed can happen without proper system/common grounds.

Even two isolated circuits in the same facility should have a common ground to prevent a difference of potential. If there is no difference of potential, there can be no current flow between them.

So the objective is to tie all the grounds together.

I don't understand though why it had been working and then it suddenly stopped, then worked for a day and stoped.
You are assuming everything was in perfect condition before. There could easily be a loose wire somewhere that is affected by vibrations from heavy footfalls, or even simple expansion/contraction of matter as the room heats up and cools down throughout the day.

This is why I said to test your outlets.
I have 2 heavy duty extension cords, one plugged into each out circuit, hooked up to the box I made. How would I run a grounding wire between the two?
The easiest way is to run a small wire attached to a case screw of one PSU to a case screw of the other PSU. Note there will be very little current so a small 22 AWG gauge "hook-up" wire will do just fine.

And FTR, running two different extension cords is definitely not ideal. No two lengths of wire have the exact same resistance. This is even more so when you have connectors at each end. When the resistance to earth ground is different you WILL have different ground potentials. So once again, all the more reason to make sure the two PSUs are connected to the same "common" ground.

System Name Box
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace Max 570S
Cooling Corsair h150i Elite Capellix 360 white
Memory 16 GB Teamforce DDR 4 4500 (2x8) CL18
Video Card(s) Aorus 1080ti
Storage NVMe: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, WD_BLACK SN770 2TB, Crucial P5 Plus 2TB, spinners: 3TB, 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 1080p
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic white - fans: 2x140mm, 7x120mm
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply EVGA G2 850
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win10 pro
Benchmark Scores later
take a multimeter and measure the voltage across the psu cases (connect to a screw on the cases for a good connection) while powered up see what comes up. hopefully 0.000v

when using dual psus i usually take a 18 gauge wire with lugs and screw it into each psu via the psu screw mounting holes. usually isnt needed but hey its easy and cheap.

and if the psus are are on different branch circuits there may be a ground loop.. depends on how good the house wiring is.

ground loops suck. i run into them a lot in live sound reinforcement as stuff gets plugged into different branch circuits. sometimes we wind up using ground lifts.

Last edited:
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I took a wire, put two (I think they're called wire nuts) and screwed one into the first psu and the other end into the same spot on the other one (in the case psu mount screw hole). No success :(
Going to try hooking up to different pc soon

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Hey guys, thanks for all the good thoughts/ideas. I plugged both power supplies into the same circuit yesterday and it seemed to have fixed it. The thing crashed today, and I managed to fix it by plugging one of the two cpu 8pin adapters into each power supply. This has been working since earlier today, and I'll update it tomorrow if it's still working. I think this was the fix I've been looking for.

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
how many cards are you running? a 1200w psu should be able to run 4 r9 290 for mining. you probably dont need 2 psu to begin with. i use an 850w evga bq series psu with 2 rx570s, 2 rx460s and 1 rx480 and its been working for 3 months now. no issues. i would think that a single 1200w would be enough