• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power throttling

PsychoRick

I have acer predator triton 500. with i-9750h cpu and rtx2060 gpu.
Recently I started to notice FPS drops and started to look for an issue.
As far as I can tell from throttle stop it seems that my PC is throttling due to Power limitting - 45W. I have changed it by setting PL1 to higher values and it seems that it have increased the performance (temperatures as well as more power is going through CPU). By increasing PPL1 from 45W to 55 I was able to get around 500MHz difference from CPU.
1619187505586.png

In the other hand it seems that undervolting it self haven't had any improvement to my CPU performence as I have tried to choose different values and it made no difference:
1619187745746.png

Also from posts I was really unsure what speed shift EPP and PPO0 does as they really doesn't seem to make any impact on performance. Not entirely sure if I'm missing something, any advices? Also I have noticed that it's starts throttling if it enables short power ppl2 goes to 75W and then instantly temps go 95 degrees and instantly starts throttling again. Wouldn't it be the best to set the power limit to 55W (or higher depending on temps) so it wouldn't jump around?

Sry for the long post and thanks in advance.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
At full power and full speed, your CPU creates more heat than your cooling system can dissipate. The result will be either thermal throttling when the CPU hits 95°C or power limit throttling. If you disassemble your laptop and clean it out and replace the thermal paste, this might help your CPU run cooler when it is at full power.

Your undervolt is working and it does help but it cannot solve the problem if your heatsink and fan are dirty or not adequate or not properly installed. Trying to run your CPU at 75W is more heat than your heatsink was designed to handle.

Wouldn't it be the best
This is totally up to you. Adjust the power limits to whatever works best for you. For most laptops, I think the default 28 second turbo time limit is too much time. Most laptop heatsinks cannot handle the CPU running at the PL2 power limit for 28 seconds. Perhaps 75W for PL2 is OK but only for 4 seconds, not 28 seconds. Experiment with different power limits and turbo time limits.

For most laptops, you do not need to check the Speed Shift EPP box in ThrottleStop. Try to let Windows 10 manage this setting. Look in the FIVR window at the monitoring table. It will show you what Speed Shift EPP value the CPU is using. If you are using the Windows Balanced power plan there will be a power slider available in the system tray at the bottom right. When you adjust this slider, you should see the EPP value in the FIVR monitoring table change to different values. If Windows can control EPP, you do not need to use this option in ThrottleStop. You do not want a situation where Windows and ThrottleStop are writing different values to the same Speed Shift EPP register.

The PP0 Power Limit is rarely used so do not check that option. Leave it set to 0.

Check TDP Level Control and press Apply. TDP Level should be set to 0.

I would check the Speed Shift option in ThrottleStop. This makes sure the Min and Max values are written to the CPU.

You do not need to set the core and cache offset voltages equally. Most users get better results by leaving the cache offset at -125 mV and setting the core offset to somewhere around -200 mV. Do some testing with Cinebench R20.