• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powercolor HD 7990 Devil 13 6 GB

It's a good deal faster than the 690 when the drivers are working properly.

Just read the hardware heaven review on this card. It seems TPU games are just not that friendly to this card. This card actually stomped the 690 at that site with only slightlt more power consumption.

Even with that, I still think this card is irrelevant at this point. I am also certain this monster card came from hell so let us not speak of it again. :eek:

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Just read the hardware heaven review on this card. It seems TPU games are just not that friendly to this card. This card actually stomped the 690 at that site with only slightlt more power consumption.

Even with that, I still think this card is irrelevant at this point. I am also certain this monster card came from hell so let us not speak of it again. :eek:

There is a grand total of seven games in the Hardware Heaven review.

There is "only" seventeen games in the TechPowerUp! review.

Therefore it is much more likely that TPU selected games that aren't "AMD friendly", and it is therefore impossible that Hardware Heaven specifically chose some "AMD friendly" games, i.e. it is easier to choose MORE games to be a "certain kind" than it is to choose LESS games to be a "certain kind." :rolleyes:

And as I have said, their Diablo 3 numbers are quite weird to say the least, since TPU averages MUCH more FPS at 1920x1200 than it does for Hardware Heaven at 1920x1080.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
The cars was unusable out of the box.

Should this be

The card was unusable out of the box. ???

Right under the pics for the washers and screws.Wizz.

Obviously needs better driver support that's a no brainer, in the games that do have good support it owns everything.

Very powerful card shame for poor driver support as most of the games it seem,s to be only using 1 core.

This Devil can not take over GTX690, where is the true 7990?

My AMD fanboyish side would like to favor the HD7990 but I would still go with the GTX 690 :)

I'll never go for nvidia, i'm a real AMD fan, i want to see some competition.

I just linked the TPU review cos I wanted the site to get an extra page hit or two.
...not really. The bottom left hand PCB pic was widely circulated when the design fault came to light. Some reviews mentioned the issue -but since I'm too lazy to sift through HD 6970 reviews, here's the XS thread.
Nice close up here.

I have been waiting to purchase the Devil 13. I believe they are in transit to retailers now. Newegg for sure. Having Doubts now! This is their premier card and they send a defective card to a well regarded reviewer? How was this card even properly tested at the factory?
I hope this is a one time occurance.

or wait till AMD officially releases the HD 7990

My preference is AMD. Long time customer. Hope to see another review or two soon. If they are like this review I will not purchase. I owned a Powercolor 6870X2 and worked flawlessly.

damn even im suprised by how bad it runs, 7970 CF smokes this.

hardwareheeven use 12.8 driver

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...d-7990-graphics-card-review-introduction.html

TPU with 12.7 beta driver that not support this card
they should retest it with proper driver
not show junk like this

more and more ultra AMD fan boys in this forum- i cant count them yet

i dont know how much AMD pay for them but amd choose .......... .... one's :laugh: :roll:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
hardwareheeven use 12.8 driver

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...d-7990-graphics-card-review-introduction.html

TPU with 12.7 beta driver that not support this card
they should retest it with proper driver
not show junk like this

I used 12.8. Actually both are pretty much the same

There is no special driver support needed for this card. Any driver that supports HD 7970 CrossFire will work with this card, because that's that the driver thinks it is: a motherboard with a PCI-E Bridge and two HD 7970s behind it

i forgot to ask. W1zzard did you happen to test the asic quality on the chips? I don't recall seeing it in the review(or i just missed it)

The cars was unusable out of the box.

Should this be

The card was unusable out of the box. ???

Right under the pics for the washers and screws.Wizz.

fixed

There is a grand total of seven games in the Hardware Heaven review.

There is "only" seventeen games in the TechPowerUp! review.

Therefore it is much more likely that TPU selected games that aren't "AMD friendly", and it is therefore impossible that Hardware Heaven specifically chose some "AMD friendly" games, i.e. it is easier to choose MORE games to be a "certain kind" than it is to choose LESS games to be a "certain kind." :rolleyes:

And as I have said, their Diablo 3 numbers are quite weird to say the least, since TPU averages MUCH more FPS at 1920x1200 than it does for Hardware Heaven at 1920x1080.

we use the same games all the time, so nobody can say we are cherry picking games. there are huge differences in diablo 3 fps depending on where you go for your testing. don't compare absolute results between reviewers

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
it's slower than the GTX 690.Looks like I was correct as I expected that it wouldn't be able to beat the GTX 690

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

i dont know how much AMD pay for them but amd choose .......... .... one's :laugh: :roll:

Would you like to add a post of any substance on the card itself? Or simply insult others? Your maturity is astounding. Not.

As for the card. Can't recall what tech show it was previewed in but even then it was a bit dubious (the sound was atrocious).

Have to say, despite it's raw power it's kinda pointless if it tanks in certain games because of driver support. If drivers are allowed to work 100% the 7990 shows it's the top dog. But the point is, the drivers don't work 100%.

You don't buy the most expensive cars in the world and expect them suffer random braking events every 5 miles. You shouldn't expect this from the worlds most expensive consumer gfx card either.

Without adequate drivers, imo this card sucks.

Coffebreak

Processor AMD FX-8150
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Artic A30
Memory AMD Performance Edition 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX HD6790 1GB GDDR5
Storage 1x OCZ 60GB SSD 1x WD Green 1TB HDD
Display(s) Acer AL1916W
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 700W
Obviously needs better driver support that's a no brainer, in the games that do have good support it owns everything.

Very powerful card shame for poor driver support as most of the games it seem,s to be only using 1 core.

Of course it doesn't have proper support if AMD itself hasn't really put any work into the 7990's yet. If AMD finally optimizes their drivers to this card, meh.:eek:

But seriously 551W is a bit too much and too bad about the noise issues :( Guess I need to wait for someone else to come up with this series or wait for 8xxx series cards before upgrading.

i dont know how much AMD pay for them but amd choose .......... .... one's

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know that you, day after day, went to my work place, did my job and earn my paycheck to tell me what I should buy just because of benchmarks or which company I should support with my own money. This "fanboy" talk seriously needs to end.

Last edited:
System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
It is obvious now for everybody why AMD will never launch a 7990.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
we use the same games all the time, so nobody can say we are cherry picking games.
A much better approach than the pseudo-advertising that HH tends to indulge in - add an AMD Gaming Evolved title with GCN super-friendly compute settings for AMD cards, 3D benching for Nvidia cards for example, and Batman AC shown as a comparison even though the game i.q. levels aren't equal*, and their perceived value based on their pricing ( the Devil 13 rated 8/10 even though no price is listed) that seldom bears any relation to reality.

10th May Nvidia card - Batman AC included
17th May AMD card- Batman AC not included
18th May Nvidia card - Batman AC included
22nd June AMD card- Batman AC not included

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
So that's why they include a screwdriver kit with the card..... :) haahaa

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It is obvious now for everybody why AMD will never launch a 7990.

To me, honestly, I don't think it makes much sense for them to do so, anyway. They deliver a single GPU that is enough for 99.9% of the users out there, for nearly every title.

Of course, you'd have to expect those users to never change any sort of in-game rendering options...:p

If you're part of that 0.1%, and you run Eyefinity, then you probably have two seperate cards anyway, simply because you're smart enough to know that cooling is much easier that way, and thereby noise, and end experience as well.

Personally, I think two chips on a stick is the stupidest thing ever. Seriously. Of all the things they could do...two GPUs? 3Dfx's failure wasn't enough? :roll:

Multi-GPU in itself is stupid, and barely works. I've been running it since day one, and really, nothing has changed, and it's been many years.

If i want to play a racing game, I plug in three monitors, hook up the steering wheel and crap, and I enjoy Eyefinity. When I'm done, I hook back up the 30-inch, and any other game I play on that. Yes, it's that bad. And yes, I don't expect it to change. And I'm fine with that. these new Dell U2412M monitors I got only weigh like 5 lbs. :p

I'd personally rather see AMD invest their time and money on bringing us a singluar better product, then many bad ones. Dealing with multiple chips on seperate silicon, while at the same time working on seperate chips in the same silicon, is just simply carrying around that old holey sweater simply because you're fond of it.

AMD has already let go...

:laugh:

Anyway, it seems two GPUs isn't quite enough for Eyefinity across the board anyway.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Multi-GPU in itself is stupid, and barely works. I've been running it since day one, and really, nothing has changed, and it's been many years.
Likewise (Voodoo 2 for 3dfx, 6800U for Nvidia, HD 3870 ATi), but at least with single GPU cards you have the option of dropping out a card (or cards) if the CFX/SLI profile is screwed and play the game on a single GPU

Duallies seem solely a dick waving exercise. Production is low ( factoring in development I doubt many turn a profit) and driver optimization/updating tends to fall off a cliff as soon as the card is eclipsed by the next best thing. I'm pretty certain that duallies exist for the sole purpose of providing the longest bar in benchmark bar graphs.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
ya Multi GPU on single board configs there is too many variables to consider and cant always be prevented, i feel that onboard interconnect there isnt enough bandwidth or short latency/pipes available for that. I honestly feel that AMD had the right idea in mind on not releasing a reference 7990 this go around because the 7970/GHz, 7870 etc can handle todays games and tomorrows, singular or in Crossfire. Most markets look at the 7870 or lower boards. To me dual GPU boards are just too big and inefficient in general and it dont matter how you slice it whether NV or AMD.

To me, honestly, I don't think it makes much sense for them to do so, anyway. They deliver a single GPU that is enough for 99.9% of the users out there, for nearly every title.

Of course, you'd have to expect those users to never change any sort of in-game rendering options...:p

If you're part of that 0.1%, and you run Eyefinity, then you probably have two seperate cards anyway, simply because you're smart enough to know that cooling is much easier that way, and thereby noise, and end experience as well.

Personally, I think two chips on a stick is the stupidest thing ever. Seriously. Of all the things they could do...two GPUs? 3Dfx's failure wasn't enough? :roll:

If i want to play a racing game, I plug in three monitors, hook up the steering wheel and crap, and I enjoy Eyefinity. When I'm done, I hook back up the 30-inch, and any other game I play on that. Yes, it's that bad. And yes, I don't expect it to change. And I'm fine with that. these new Dell U2412M monitors I got only weigh like 5 lbs. :p

I'd personally rather see AMD invest their time and money on bringing us a singluar better product, then many bad ones. Dealing with multiple chips on seperate silicon, while at the same time working on seperate chips in the same silicon, is just simply carrying around that old holey sweater simply because you're fond of it.

AMD has already let go...

:laugh:

Anyway, it seems two GPUs isn't quite enough for Eyefinity across the board anyway.

System Name "Big E"
Processor I5 2400
Motherboard Intel DQ67OW
Cooling Scythe Samurai ZZ
Memory 4 X 2 Gb Kingmax 1333
Video Card(s) MSI RX470 gaming x 4gb
Storage samsung F3 500 GB
Display(s) Acer S271HLBbid
Case "Big E"
Power Supply Gembird 450 W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software W10 LTSC
Benchmark Scores Nothing worthy to mention
Now this is where you REALLY need that 1000 watts of power :rockout:

System Name The one under the desk / Media Centre
Processor Xeon X3730@3.6GHZ / Phenom II X4 805E
Motherboard Gigabyte P55M-UD4 / Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Corsair H70 + 2*PWM fan / Arctic Alpine 11
Memory 16GB DRR3-1333 9-9-9-27 / 4GB Crucial DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU GTX 680 / Gigabyte 560TI
Storage Kingston V200 128GB, WD6400AAKS, 1TB Seagate 7.2kRPM SSHD / Kingston V200 128GB
Display(s) Samsung 2343BW + Dell Ultrasharp 1600*1200 / 32" TV
Case C'M' Silencio 550 / Some ancient SilverStone brushed aluminium media centre
Audio Device(s) No.
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W / EVGA 430W
Mouse Mionix Naos 3200 / Generic PS2
Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL Pro / Evoluent Mouse Friendly Keyboard (Logitech OEM)
Software Windows 7 Ult x64
Benchmark Scores Nah.
Wizz, you say that this is a record for Furmark power consumption, but didn't the Asus Mars II pull more?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Wizz, you say that this is a record for Furmark power consumption, but didn't the Asus Mars II pull more?

you are correct, i forgot about the mars ii

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
added turbo mode results

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
added turbo mode results

Definitely puts in a better light against the 690. I mean who's NOT gonna run it on the Turbo BIOS?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
How does the turbo BIOS effect the power consumption?

RefusedAMA

Hey Wizzard, I got a question that I cant find anywhere so far. You mentioned you can Crossfire this card with another Devil 13 for a quad setup. Can you crossfire it with a HD 7970 for a tri fire setup? Or is this card like a 690 and can only be paired with another dual card?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Hey Wizzard, I got a question that I cant find anywhere so far. You mentioned you can Crossfire this card with another Devil 13 for a quad setup. Can you crossfire it with a HD 7970 for a tri fire setup? Or is this card like a 690 and can only be paired with another dual card?

I can't test due to the slot layout on my motherboard, but I assume you should be able to do triple CF with HD 7970

RefusedAMA

I can't test due to the slot layout on my motherboard, but I assume you should be able to do triple CF with HD 7970

Thank you for your quick response, I would assume that if that was not the case, it would be noted in any documentation you may have received.

Thank you again.

P.S. I would assume so too, being that this has historically been the case with past AMD products. But, being that there is no reference design and thus nothing on AMD's website to confirm this, it has me a bit weary. For me, TriFire would be more advantageous then to 690's.