• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor launches HD 4670 AGP, Passive HD 4770 and more ATI cards

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Again you started this crap, i want solid caps that should be enough, you don't know what i do with my pc or the condition it's in and many other details, yet you think you can tell me what i need? and your accusing me of being full of myself?, as i said you or everyone else might not need them thats ok i don;t care, but i do want my solid caps, i like to reduce risk as much as i can, and thats what solid caps are, a failure reduction component, so they raise price i don't care, but they're mainstream for a reason now.

And the answer to your BIG question: yes hardware survives without solid caps, but it's fail rate is higher, now lets imagine you have to take any comunication device to a jungle/mountain/cave, mmm... you've got two choices one without solid caps with a fail rate of 2%, and one with solid caps and a fail rate of 1% i'd take the solid caps 1% is a small risk, that i wouldn't take even if you screamed in my ear how unnecesary that is...

Want another example: in a OC contest what Mobo would you take if there the same Brand/Model the only difference would be solid caps? with or without?

You know Solid Caps were developed to reduce the hardware failure rate

Nope, my 4CoreDual Sata2 has No SC. your right

BTW, im not gonna answer this crap any more, I really think your to hard headed.

Your examples do not apply here, there is nothing you can do with this card that would require solid caps. You aren't going to be entering it in any overclocking contests, you aren't going to be taking it to the jungle/mountain/cave. So none of that applies. You can't give me a single valid reason why solid caps on this card would be necessary, or even benefitial.

And you seem to have gone completely off track and are trying to turn this discussion into a simply Solid Cap vs. Normal Cap debate. I'm not saying there aren't applications that benefit from Solid Caps, and even applications where I would make sure Solid Caps were used. However, I'm saying in this single application on an AGP HD4670, there will be no benefit to solid caps.

And you are only partially correct in saying that solid caps were developed to reduce failure rates. They were developed to reduce failure rates under high load situations, as they can take more abuse than liquad caps. However, that doesn't help one bit with this card, I highly doubt anyone will be overvolting the card, so the normal caps will be just fine, and even if you do overvolt the card unless you are pumping some serious juice through it, the normal caps will be just fine. And if you push the voltage far enough that the normal caps become the limitting factor, you better have some damn good cooling because you will probably fry the core first. And really, if you can afford the cooler to do it, you should have something better than an AGP machine at this point.:laugh:

And remember, you started this, I responded to your comment.

Yep thats true but, you know they always skimp on the quality polystyrene capacitors, or even go as far as covering the cheap caps with aluminium barrels so they look like solid caps, but i think its mainly for the price and size of polystyrene and polycarbonate capacitors.

That again doesn't apply here. If they use high quality caps, it won't be an issue. A budget card maker might use cheap caps, but I doubt someone like PowerColor will. And again, you are going off track and talking about normal caps as a whole. I highly doubt they are slipping aluminum barrels over caps this small to pass them off as higher rated caps. And you also seem to forget that solid caps are not immune from poor quality and improper ratings... I'd take a good quality normal cap over a poor quality solid cap any day.

intel igent

System Name old school / new school
Processor 3.0e C0 @ 3.6 / e5200
Motherboard p4p800e-dlx / p5q-DLX
Cooling custom water see sig / air
Memory 2x1g oczPC4000EbPl / 2x2g ocz2rpr1066
Video Card(s) 3850AGP / 4890vaporX
Storage 36g raptor+120g wd / wd 1001fals 1tb
Display(s) BenQ / sharpAQUOS LC-37D64U
Case modded antec plusview / generic
Audio Device(s) audigy 2zs / ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
Power Supply fan/cable modded powerstream 520 / OCZ 700mxsp
Software Xp pro SP2 / VISTA ultimate OEM
DUDE!! like WTF!! the guy said he want's solid cap's on HIS card! solid cap's ARE better than regular cap's. if YOU don't like it MOVE ON!

:cool:

enaher

System Name One does not simply have enough cash for INTEL
Processor Athlon II 450 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master 212+
Memory 4x4gb Corsair DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x 5830 Sapphire 950c/1150m CF
Storage 2x Seagate 500GB Raid0 + Samsung 1TB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HDA
Case Xigmatek ASGARD PRO
Power Supply SeasonicX 750w
Software W7 x64 Ultimate
DUDE!! like WTF!! the guy said he want's solid cap's on HIS card! solid cap's ARE better than regular cap's. if YOU don't like it MOVE ON!

I tried to tell him that, i let it go before he gets a stroke :toast:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

No, he asked where they were, and I explained that they aren't necessary and would only drive up costs even more. He then started to argue that they were necessary. It then changed from what he wanted, to a debate on solid caps being necessary.

No one, including me, is saying solid caps aren't better. However, that doesn't mean they are necessary. There are certain applications where solid caps just aren't necessary, and a normal cap will do the job just fine, the AGP HD4670 is one of those applications.

I understand that he wants them, and I want diamonds on my hotdog, but then the hotdog would cost too much...

I tried to tell him that, i let it go before he gets a stroke :toast:

No you didn't, you wanted to argue about how solid caps are required, and then argue about how they are necessary in situations that don't apply here so they are necessary in every situation.

Last edited:
System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
An AGP HD4670 is ONE card that anyone who has got one will try to overclock the crap out of it. Remember, it is the TOP OF THE RANGE for AGP... the end of the proverbial road, but it still isnt fast enough. So as an owner, you have no choice! You gotta OC it if you want moooaaaarrrr.

Now, if you were talking about 4670 on PCIe, I would agree. Solid caps no needed, you are NOT going to OC that! You spend $20 more and get a much better GPU to start with.

IMO, the fact that there is a 4670 PCB with solid caps is brilliant news. Because isnt that just what you need as a basis to swap out the 4670 chip and replace it with a 4770 chip? I think it might be a pin-for-pin swap. Obviously we consumers can't do it... but there may just be one more AGP lurking round the corner. Cant wait :) :pimp:

If there really was a 4770 AGP I think I would buy 3. Replace/update all AGP systems with them. Remember, I have two Q6600 systems on AGP, and another 2x Xeon 5420 on PCIe. So no "you gotta upgrade" crap thx. I've got some top rigs. (Excepting a Nehalem-EP of course... which I would love to have... but no budget for at the moment)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
An AGP HD4670 is ONE card that anyone who has got one will try to overclock the crap out of it. Remember, it is the TOP OF THE RANGE for AGP... the end of the proverbial road, but it still isnt fast enough. So as an owner, you have no choice! You gotta OC it if you want moooaaaarrrr.

Solid caps won't help overclocking, and overclocking won't kill normal caps(again, assuming good quality caps are used). Overvolting maybe, but you would have to be pushing a huge amount of voltage through the caps, and really be pushing them to have problems.

Now, if you were talking about 4670 on PCIe, I would agree. Solid caps no needed, you are NOT going to OC that! You spend $20 more and get a much better GPU to start with.

Not only would I, but I have overclocked my PCI-E HD4670. It was overclocked all 7 months I owned it, from the day it was installed to the day I pulled it from the machine. I overclock every piece of hardware I possible can.

IMO, the fact that there is a 4670 PCB with solid caps is brilliant news. Because isnt that just what you need as a basis to swap out the 4670 chip and replace it with a 4770 chip? I think it might be a pin-for-pin swap. Obviously we consumers can't do it... but there may just be one more AGP lurking round the corner. Cant wait :) :pimp:

If there really was a 4770 AGP I think I would buy 3. Replace/update all AGP systems with them. Remember, I have two Q6600 systems on AGP, and another 2x Xeon 5420 on PCIe. So no "you gotta upgrade" crap thx. I've got some top rigs. (Excepting a Nehalem-EP of course... which I would love to have... but no budget for at the moment)

The caps don't have anything to do with if the PCB can take a RV740 or not. For the most part, if the caps have the same ratings they can be used interchangabily, regardless of if they are solid or normal.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The flaming and bickering in this thread needs to stop, and so do(es) the off-topic argument(s).